MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default What An Assinine Statement

Years ago, my Dad owned an "ex" Canada Post jeep, that was right-hand drive. Jeep YJ, it was, so what? Mid 1970's/early 80's jeep? They should have kept on using the type when they had them.

Rural mail carriers may get right-hand-drive vehicles to improve safety

By Mike De Souza, Canwest News Service March 19, 2010 1:09 AM

Canada Post is considering the introduction of right-control vehicles for some mail carriers in order to improve safety in rural areas, government officials said yesterday.

Safety concerns have been raised in a number of rural communities where the mail carriers must stop on the sides of narrow two-lane roads, sometimes in the oncoming lane, to drop mail out of their vehicle window into post office boxes.

"Canada Post is looking at that," Rob Merrifield, the minister of state for transport, said at a parliamentary committee studying the department's spending estimates. "I think it's obvious that it's inappropriate for [mail carriers] to pull over to the opposite side of the road, against the traffic so those safety concerns are being analyzed and addressed."

Transport Minister John Baird said he has personally gone on ride-alongs with mail carriers and agrees that some roads don't have enough space for drivers to pull over.

"We have had people who have been killed," said Baird after appearing at the committee. "It's not a legal issue, it's not a financial issue, it's a moral issue. We can't be sending out people to do their job when their lives would be at risk."

Denis Lemelin, the president of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers, said the corporation should conduct broader consultations on all of the issues surrounding rural mail delivery to find an environmentally friendly solution that satisfies the customers, the employees and the government.

Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/to...#ixzz0ickXi9cM

Forum Member

What statement are you refering to? I read the whole article and nothing jumped out at me as being "Assinine"?

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a little background:

Canada Post used to have right-hand drive vehicles, and it made sense for the safety reasons stated in the article. The assinine part is to make this seem like a "revolutionary new idea". More like a re-invention of something that worked well before, but for whatever reason was phased out, rather than replaced with updated equipment.

My Dad used to work a rural mail route, which is why he bought the jeep, so he wouldnt have to get out of the vehicle, or drive on the wrong side of the road. Since it was a personal purchase, he kept the jeep until 1989 when the front end failed and he ended up rolling it on the highway and totalling it. Fortunately he had no lasting significant injury.

I also have an aunt who worked with CP for more than 20 years as a letter carrier, she had R-H jeep for a few years to, until she got "big engough" to get an in-town walking route.

Forum Member

Our mail carrier here (rural route) uses his own vehicle, and has it outfitted so he can sit on the right and still drive.....VERY common around these parts.....you don't see jeeps around here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    Our mail carrier here (rural route) uses his own vehicle, and has it outfitted so he can sit on the right and still drive.....VERY common around these parts.....you don't see jeeps around here.
    Ours has a similar setup, but watching them, it doesn't seem that they have very good control. I'm old enough to remember the right-hand drive jeeps that the post office had. Not really sure why they got away from them unless Jeep decided to quit making them, or the post office decided to save money.

Forum Member

Most every carrier around here uses right hand drive. Every now and then you see a sub using their pov and its left hand. They are sitting in the right seat, driving it that way. The cops have seen her but don't say anything.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Most every carrier around here uses right hand drive. Every now and then you see a sub using their pov and its left hand. They are sitting in the right seat, driving it that way. The cops have seen her but don't say anything.
    Nothing gets in the way of Federal Postal Services.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

In some cases it does. A fire in progress will keep them out of the block!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    In some cases it does. A fire in progress will keep them out of the block!
    I'm sorry sir. You can't deliver to that address down the block. I'm afraid to tell you this, but it does not exist anymore.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    I'm sorry sir. You can't deliver to that address down the block. I'm afraid to tell you this, but it does not exist anymore.

There you are, just a empty lot now.

Banned

Our guy uses his regular car, there is no special mod. He sits on the right and drives with his left foot from there.

The U.S. still uses those jeeps. Occasionally one delivers the mail here

Forum Member

My mail gets delivered low........g fiiiiive......lmao
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Most of the rural mail carriers I've seen in Kentucky just leaned over and drove using their left hand and foot while in the shotgun seat.
    USPS used to have the right hand drive Jeeps as well but now,all you see is minivans with no license plates and rear view cameras so the carrier doesn't have to take their eyes off the text message they're sending to look behind them at the guy on crutches trying desperately to get out of their way(7-18-08)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    .... or the post office decided to save money.
    Well,they had to pay for USPS CEO's moving expenses and go away parties somehow.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default HAHAAHA This Just Got Even BETTER

{Insert SARCASM}

Canada Post wants to truck mail to Vancouver

Proposal to have sorting done on mainland will cost jobs, union says
    By Lindsay Kines, Times Colonist March 26, 2010 6:13 AM Comments (6)

A Canada Post proposal to truck mail from Victoria to Vancouver for sorting and then bring it back here for delivery will lead to job losses and service delays on Vancouver Island, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers warned yesterday.

Union spokesman John Bail urged the public and elected representatives to speak out against the "convoluted" plan.

"If the people on Vancouver Island don't protest, we won't be able to stop them," Bail said, following a meeting in Ottawa with Victoria MP Denise Savoie. "It's only the public, who depend on Canada Post, that can stop Canada Post from cutting service."

Canada Post declined interviews yesterday, but issued a statement acknowledging that it's considering trucking letters and ad mail to its processing plant in Vancouver as a way to consolidate operations. The company is spending $2 billion to modernize across the country and become more self-sufficient as e-mail eats away at its traditional letter-delivery business.

The corporation denied that moving mail-sorting operations to Vancouver will lead to reduced service in Victoria and on the Island.

"This change will allow us to sort the mail faster and maintain our local delivery standards," the statement said.

"No final decision has been made but be assured that the Victoria facility will remain open and the corporation will continue to respect all of its collective agreements. No full- or part-time regular employees will lose their job should there be an operational realignment."

The union, however, anticipates a number of job losses in Victoria through attrition if the plan goes ahead.

"When people retire, they won't be replaced, right?" said Bail, a national director for the union's Pacific region. "And when companies do this, they kind of get a little meaner to try get people to leave faster because they'll have a surplus."

Bail said the union also worries about delayed mail delivery. "The mail's got to go across the ferry to Vancouver and back. Some of it won't make it properly and then it will have to go back again, and there will be serious inefficiencies."

Savoie, who represents the NDP, expressed similar concerns about service cuts and the potential loss of jobs in Victoria.

"It seems that rather than strengthening our communities, we're in a race to the bottom to gut them," she said.

"I think everybody's in favour of making improvements from a technological perspective ... but I think the way they're going about it is wrong, because it will result in loss of service -- not just for individuals but for small businesses."

It's not the first time Canada Post has moved to consolidate its operations on the Island.

Last year, the corporation began shipping local mail from smaller communities to Victoria for sorting.

The union has questioned the environmental impact of that move, as well as the potential for delivery delays. "Why would you want to truck mail up and down the Island when you can sort it locally?" Bail asked.

The corporation, however, argued at the time that there would be no added pollution, because the trucks were already making the trips. Nor would customers notice increased delays, the company said.

Canada Post declined to provide an update yesterday on whether the changes have worked.

lkines@tc.canwest.com

Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/busines...#ixzz0jI67nZPV
    ===

To put into a bit of perspective, this would be like shipping the mail from DC back to Delaware for sorting before delivery to the DC area.

Some of the comments:

anonymous 9:45 AM on March 26, 2010
    They've just giving 'snail mail' a whole new meaning.

anonymous 9:45 AM on March 26, 2010
    so raise the price of postage... every year... then lay off a bunch of people so that we can get our mail a couple days later than it already takes to get. hmmm........

i think fed ex, purolator and other courier services should make it really cheap to send a simple letter and take over

anonymous 8:50 AM on March 26, 2010
    Dear Canada Post:
    STAY ON THE ISLAND. The capital city is here for heaven's sake. Why can't a postal sorting area be?
    -A concerned Islander

Thread Information