MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sexless Hose Couplings

Ok so this probably belongs in another forum but it kinda fits here. Why haven't we (fire departments) in general switched to sexless hose. I know we have it for LDH, but why not the rest of our hose? Wouldn't this make just about everything easier. Not to mention we could throw most of our male/female adapter out (or save our money by not buying them to begin with). I know it would take a culture change but how many probys (or veterans) have gotten confused and messed up a hose lay by getting forward and reverse lay confused or grabbed the wrong adapter? I think its time we switched. What do ya'll think?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by viperfire1 View Post
    Ok so this probably belongs in another forum but it kinda fits here. Why haven't we (fire departments) in general switched to sexless hose. I know we have it for LDH, but why not the rest of our hose? Wouldn't this make just about everything easier. Not to mention we could throw most of our male/female adapter out (or save our money by not buying them to begin with). I know it would take a culture change but how many probys (or veterans) have gotten confused and messed up a hose lay by getting forward and reverse lay confused or grabbed the wrong adapter? I think its time we switched. What do ya'll think?
    Different types of and sizes of threads, the need to retrofit pumpers and the cost involved make it prohibitive.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

it is likely the same reason all the country hasn't adapted on thread count for fire hose couplings.......

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

MembersZone Subscriber

i would like to see it though. i noticed on a cruise they used storz on the attack hoses in the cabinets.
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

MembersZone Subscriber

I think a lot of places outside the US have quick connect/disconnect couplings. Some looked like quarter-turn stortz, others were based on what's used in the UK/NZ... I forget the name.

It makes a lot of sense to me.. not sure why it isn't adopted here except for tradition and momentum.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Hundreds of years of tradition, uninhibited by progress.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    I think a lot of places outside the US have quick connect/disconnect couplings. Some looked like quarter-turn stortz, others were based on what's used in the UK/NZ... I forget the name.

It makes a lot of sense to me.. not sure why it isn't adopted here except for tradition and momentum.
    British instantaneous thread "BIT"

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by viperfire1 View Post

Properly trained member should never get confused by a Male or Female coupling at any time.

This is a basic skill taught early in their career.

If they do, they need to be in another profession.

Forum Member

My opinion on Storz only, but I don't like them for attack lines. We experimented for a short period, and the "flanges" of the couplings are much larger diamerter than the hose itself. That lended to getting hung up on door jambs, around corners, as well as harder to fit in the narrow pre-connecrt hosebeds.

Also, if a threaded coupling is a bit loose, it leaks. If a storz type is not locked together, they can break apart. Not good for the nozzleman.

May be oK for supply lines, but then you would need adapters for FDC, hydrants, pump panels. IMO not worth it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FD1976 View Post
    My opinion on Storz only, but I don't like them for attack lines. We experimented for a short period, and the "flanges" of the couplings are much larger diamerter than the hose itself. That lended to getting hung up on door jambs, around corners, as well as harder to fit in the narrow pre-connecrt hosebeds.

Also, if a threaded coupling is a bit loose, it leaks. If a storz type is not locked together, they can break apart. Not good for the nozzleman.

May be oK for supply lines, but then you would need adapters for FDC, hydrants, pump panels. IMO not worth it.
    The obvious advantages are 1.) you never have the wrong end, and 2.) you can materially reduce the amount of hardware you have to carry. Example: we carry 4 - 3" double male/double female sets and 4 - 2-1/2" to 3", 3" to 2-1/2" adapters on each engine. And there have been times I that wished for more.

But your point of snagging is very well taken. Until that gets resolved, we'll happily carry the adapters. Now if I could only get people to put them away correctly.

Forum Member

FD's in SW PA can't even decide on the same threads to use....now your saying make everything sexless..... People around here would raise hell.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

I can't even think of the cost involved. I don't think the cost is worth the minimal benefit of not having to have male/male or female/female adapters. Probably billions of dollars in new equipment just so we can get rid of some adapters? not worth it

Forum Member

Our entire brigade uses storz couplings (www.fire.nsw.gov.au). Yes they can get snagged and they can be a pain to couple some times but with everything, there is always time for lube !!

Normally it is because the seal is a bit dry

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Different types of and sizes of threads, the need to retrofit pumpers and the cost involved make it prohibitive.
    We have a winner.

When you look at your small 2 or three engine department it seems like a good idea. Then look at replacing/retrofitting 22 front line engine and 5 reserve engines each with 1,000' of hose the price goes sky high.

I won't even think about FDNY, Chicago, LA Co. and City...

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Make the change!!

Find the money somewhere. I was once a member of a sexless couple and in the end, no matter the cost, changing that made things alot better!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5 View Post
    We have a winner.

When you look at your small 2 or three engine department it seems like a good idea. Then look at replacing/retrofitting 22 front line engine and 5 reserve engines each with 1,000' of hose the price goes sky high.

I won't even think about FDNY, Chicago, LA Co. and City...

Lets not forget that you either need adapters or have to retrofit every fire hydrant, FDC, and standpipe outlet.

I know HR would probably love if we switched, they are always telling us to be more gender neutral.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Find the money somewhere. I was once a member of a sexless couple and in the end, no matter the cost, changing that made things alot better!
    NEVER suffered from that problem. ALWAYS carry "adapters"hehe T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default That' Funny

Spend $350,000.00 for a new ultra modern pumper and then we can't afford to upgrade the fittings. My Fire Company has been using all Storz fittings on everything for over 20 years and I don't recall a massive expenditure or a lot of tactical problems either.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FD1976 View Post
    We experimented for a short period, and the "flanges" of the couplings are much larger diamerter than the hose itself. That lended to getting hung up on door jambs, around corners, as well as harder to fit in the narrow pre-connecrt hosebeds.
    We used to use all Stortz connectors with 2" attack lines, we had the same experience. The running joke was if you ever needed to bail out a 3rd floor window just wrap the hose around you and go, the couplings were bound to fetch up on something before you hit the ground.
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    ______________________________ __________________
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Thread Information