Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Question for DMFIRESCHOOL re Cleveland Fire Exam - residency and military credit

The following question is for dmfireschool or anyone else familiar with the Cleveland Fire Department and its testing/hiring history.

I understand that Cleveland residents will receive 10 additional points on the exam and military personnel will receive 5 additional points. Conceivably, candidates who are both Cleveland residents and military can receive a total of 15 extra points. Fortunately, I live in the city of Cleveland and will get the 10 points for residency. However, I am not millitary.

With more than 5,000 applicants seeking appointment for approximately 100 openings over the next year or so, the exam in July will be insanely competitive. Of course, applicants who max out at 15 points and score well on the exam will rank highest on the eligibility list. But here are my 3 questions: 1) what about candidates who only have either residency or military credit? Do these applicants have any real chance even if they perform extremely well on the exam? 2) Also, what about applicants who aren't eligible for any additional points? 3) Finally, does Cleveland have an official or unofficial affirmative action policy and how might that affect the hiring of non-minority applicants? Thanks for your feedback.

Forum Member

I definitely don't have a clear answer for you as I'm not exactly up to date on Cleveland's FF hiring process and the such. However I would find it very unlikely that there are going to be anywhere near 100 people that have both the residency and have prior military experience. Even if there were a good number that did, they might not do well on some part of the testing and receive and unamazing score overall.

I wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot if it's indeed something you really want.

MembersZone Subscriber

But here are my 3 questions: 1) what about candidates who only have either residency or military credit? Do these applicants have any real chance even if they perform extremely well on the exam?
    If you have either you have a good shot at getting hired.

2) Also, what about applicants who aren't eligible for any additional points?
    Its almost impossible to get hired without residency or military points

3) Finally, does Cleveland have an official or unofficial affirmative action policy and how might that affect the hiring of non-minority applicants? Thanks for your feedback.

The federal court in 2009 ruled that quotas can no longer be used in the hiring process. That decision is being appealed.

More about the exam can be found at the link below. Good luck !!

http://www.fireprep.com/cleveland_fi..._july_31s.html

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author since 2002

More Career articles and exam prep strategies by Chief Collins can be found at the link below
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/con.../bio.jsp?id=17

Forum Member

Thanks for your reply to my previous post. I have a follow-up question with regard to how the Cleveland Fire Exam will be scored.

A Cleveland firefighter explained to me that the exams in the past consisted of 100 items, with each question worth 0.5 points. Accordingly, an applicant who answers each item correctly would garner a raw score of 50 points. Any extra credit points would be added to the raw score (e.g., 50 raw score plus 10 points for residency for a total of 60 points). The total points are then converted to a percentage and the applicants are ranked accordingly. In this case, 60 points converts to 120%. Based on this point allocation, 5 extra credit points are equivalent in value to 10 questions and 10 extra points are equivalent in value to 20 questions. Can you confirm whether this scoring procedure is accurate? Thanks!

I also heard that the city is giving an additional 5 points to graduates of Cleveland's MLK H.S. fire academy. Is there any truth to this? Why not make the points available to all applicants with a FF 240 certification? In your previous post you stated that Cleveland does not have an affirmative action policy. Is this perhaps the city's way of implementing affirmative action by proxy? Please don't misunderstand...I am all for diversity and fairness in hiring practices. However, it seems that an unfair advantage is being afforded to a number of applicants based solely on their affiliation with an inner-city high school. I understand that you may not be in a position to address this question - I am just wondering.
    Last edited by zarack808; 04-13-2010 at 08:53 PM.

Thread Information