Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Cool My SCBA Seal Check

Hey guys. I am with Salem Fire & Rescue in Culpeper, VA. I have an old MSA mask and pack, but it works like it's new due to proper care. This is what my seal check looks like. The video is on my youtube and here is the link. I dont carry my gear with me since I dont own my airpack or any of that. I just own my mask and goggles. Does this seal check look correct. Also, I am aware that I did not go through the checklist cuz I found it uneccesary since not all of my gear was on.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NylHpDb55Iw

Enjoy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hard to tell how good the seal is from the video, but the procedure looks OK to me. Really need to do a fit check to see how good it is sealing, but this gives a good quick check.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    Hard to tell how good the seal is from the video, but the procedure looks OK to me. Really need to do a fit check to see how good it is sealing, but this gives a good quick check.
    Ok. Thanks. I was asking because some of the other guys at my FD check their seals a bit differently. Then and again, their airpacks are modern "clamp n' go" systems as I like to call them lol. Mine is an old MSA airpack with a thick screw in hose. I have to check my seal by holding the end of the hose and attempting to inhale which I couldnt meaning that my seal is good.

We used the same routing on the old Survive and Scott belt pack units. One thing to be sure you do is to stretch the trunk out some while you do the test. It will make any cracks in the hose open up so you find them. Also I would get a proper fit test done as well just to make sure.

Question: what's the reasoning behind detaching the LP hose from the facepiece? We used those SCBA for several years, and stowed the masks with the LP hose attached.

Is that intended to allow easier breathing of ambient air?
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DubyaVFF View Post
    Question: what's the reasoning behind detaching the LP hose from the facepiece? We used those SCBA for several years, and stowed the masks with the LP hose attached.

Is that intended to allow easier breathing of ambient air?
    Yes that is why we do that. My airpack is the only "Old airpack at my company lol. Everyone else has the new Drager and Scott Airpacks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doorbreaker View Post
    We used the same routing on the old Survive and Scott belt pack units. One thing to be sure you do is to stretch the trunk out some while you do the test. It will make any cracks in the hose open up so you find them. Also I would get a proper fit test done as well just to make sure.
    Thanks. I have done that as well. Fortunately, I have not found any damage to the hose.

Forum Member

It looks like your post is a year old or so, but I noticed in your video you put your hose on before checking the seal. You can always just put your hand over the hole on the front of your mask and suck in. I will say I have never used a MSA so I am not an expert by any means, but when we had the old Scotts thats how we checked our seal, that is also what they tought me in FF1.

Thread Information