+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread: lights on POV

Forum Member

Default lights on POV

Hey im new to this forum i was wonder whats your thoughts on lights on you POV my self would like a light bar in my front window and rear and the hida way strobes and maybe 2 little leds ones in my grill. i been talk asking other ems/ff what they think and what are good lights. i get a couple people giving me crap about wanting lights. i tell then them most the time its a 3 -4 mile drive to the fire house and most the time i dont make the truck because a good % of the members live 1 to 2 blocks next to the fire house so i have to respond in my POV. the reason i want light to me is more of safety thing if i come on to a scene etc i want to be seen. whats your thoughts guy thanks

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

OH BOY!! THIS GONNA BE GOOD!

Popcorn anyone? Beers? How about a nice comfortable recliner to watch the fun from?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Ok, I'll bite...

In an effort to stick to the original question, here's a few to consider: How much traffic do you have in your response district? All of those lights seems a bit extensive in my opinion. If you absolutely have to have a light, I'd recommend just getting a visor light or one of those little ones that sit on your dash or stick to your windshield. If you're in a small town, as most volunteers are, are that many lights going to make a difference? I've seen and know there are plenty of people out there with that much on their car, but is it necessary? Is it safe? I have a visor light in my POV, but a patient/victim either has to be not breathing or on fire for me to use it anymore.

Think about this though: It's dangerous when one emergency vehicle is "Driving Hot". What about when 20 people flip on their POV lights and come from all different directions? It's dangerous to the public, as well as the POV drivers. How much is 10 seconds going to make a difference on the call that you are on, just to pass 1 or 2 vehicles?

And if you want to be seen on-scene, well... your car has hazard lights, they work just fine. Not to mention the BRT with all its lights parked in front of it.

Forum Member

Sound like llights might not be your answer; you may need a faster car.

Please check for other post in here about lights on POVís you will find answers. Although they may not be what you want to hear.

Good Luck my friend.

Banned

A realistic answer. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!

Lights on POVs do nothing but make you look silly. Rather than spend $200 on lights buy a good Halligan bar.

Forum Member

alot of times we are responding for mutral aid to towns next to us wish is a pain to get there at times but the on scene i was talking mostly if i come across a MVA before the BRT are there. there time four ways are not bright enough. there are someplace that dont got alot of traffic but center town the traffic get more crowed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDFF-31 View Post
    alot of times we are responding for mutral aid to towns next to us wish is a pain to get there at times but the on scene i was talking mostly if i come across a MVA before the BRT are there. there time four ways are not bright enough. there are someplace that dont got alot of traffic but center town the traffic get more crowed.
    Try finishing school first

MembersZone Subscriber

If I may ask, what is your position (Fire fighter, lieutenant, captain,..) in your department? What state are your responding in (not the actual department)?

Forum Member

im a ff in Vermont.
    Last edited by BFDFF-31; 03-21-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Forum Member

Where is my club? The horse is back..

I would advise no

Just always remember don't drive too fast, don't try to pass other people. The overall point is to get there alive. Whatever you choose to do.. just be safe

Forum Member

how often does that really happen?

If you respond to the scene POV lights are useful for when you leave your car on the side of the road, or if you run fire police functions and your dept. doesn't have fire police vehicles.

Forum Member

alot time pov do come in handy when we are on hills and corners we can set them so we can slow other cars down or close road down.

Forum Member

The fewer runs your department runs the more lights you need. Order what you need from GALLS (help support my local economy.) You need lots and lots of lights. I mean you are going to make 1,000's of runs a year so you need lots.

Seriously, ask your chief. First, what you are allowed to have (by law) and then what he'll let you have.

Forum Member

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    OH BOY!! THIS GONNA BE GOOD!

Popcorn anyone? Beers? How about a nice comfortable recliner to watch the fun from?
    Can I get a cigar for this show?

Forum Member

we do not have limit on how many we an use. i know the cheif well put his 2 cents in how many lol. i just want one in the front and back window mostly. im not talking about ever inch of the car i can fit one on.

Forum Member

"Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I'll bite as well.

You live 3-4 miles from the station, as you stated, correct?
    There are guys who live 1-2 blocks from the station, as you stated, correct?

Based on the above two, I'm going to assume that you want the light because you think it's going to get you there in time to make a truck, correct? Doubtful. You're gonna find it doesn't save THAT much time. Trust me, I know. I bought into the whole light thing. I find myself rarely using it. 1. Most the time I respond from home, and I'm a half mile from the station. 2. If I'm not at home. I usually too far out to make a truck anyway, so I'll take my sweet azz time and respond POV. 3. When it does get used, it's generally when I'm responding from the ambulance garage about 2 miles away, and it rarely makes a difference. Thankfully, I only spent $25 on a light, because in the back of my mind I knew it wasn't going to be that useful.

Too long, didn't read
    It's not going to save you near as much time as you think, it won't get you on a truck with guys living way closer than you, and it's going to put a hell of a dent in your pocket book if you buy everything you stated above.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey im new to this forum i was wonder whats your thoughts on lights on you POV my self would like a light bar in my front window and rear and the hida way strobes and maybe 2 little leds ones in my grill. i been talk asking other ems/ff what they think and what are good lights. i get a couple people giving me crap about wanting lights. i tell then them most the time its a 3 -4 mile drive to the fire house and most the time i dont make the truck because a good % of the members live 1 to 2 blocks next to the fire house so i have to respond in my POV. the reason i want light to me is more of safety thing if i come on to a scene etc i want to be seen. whats your thoughts guy thanks
    If you are 3-4 miles away, and the others are 1-2 blocks, lights are not going to make a difference in getting there first.

Banned

Once again in English. And please, no more drunk posting.

If I can do it anyone can...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    I'll bite as well.

You live 3-4 miles from the station, as you stated, correct?
    There are guys who live 1-2 blocks from the station, as you stated, correct?

Based on the above two, I'm going to assume that you want the light because you think it's going to get you there in time to make a truck, correct? Doubtful. You're gonna find it doesn't save THAT much time. Trust me, I know. I bought into the whole light thing. I find myself rarely using it. 1. Most the time I respond from home, and I'm a half mile from the station. 2. If I'm not at home. I usually too far out to make a truck anyway, so I'll take my sweet azz time and respond POV. 3. When it does get used, it's generally when I'm responding from the ambulance garage about 2 miles away, and it rarely makes a difference. Thankfully, I only spent $25 on a light, because in the back of my mind I knew it wasn't going to be that useful.

Too long, didn't read
    It's not going to save you near as much time as you think, it won't get you on a truck with guys living way closer than you, and it's going to put a hell of a dent in your pocket book if you buy everything you stated above.
    Excellent post. If I drive 60 with the lights or 60 without the lights I get there just as fast.

Here is an idea. If the lad is worried about getting on the truck why not just sleep at the station

Forum Member

Around here, half the people don't move out of the way even when you are lights & sirens with the fire truck. I think the lights are more of an ego thing, right?

Forum Member

for the opinions posters have on lights here, I'm surprised I haven't seen fire trucks ordered sans emergency lights.

If used responsibly POV lights (whether courtesy or emergency, depending on state law) have a legitimate use.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    for the opinions posters have on lights here, I'm surprised I haven't seen fire trucks ordered sans emergency lights.
    I've seen 'em without.

Isn't a fire chief somewhere now directing that apparatus respond flow-of-traffic in most situations?

It's been recommended that in certain situations, fire apparatus at scenes should shut down their lights, especially at night. Something about red lights being a drunk magnet.

Like that other popular "us vs them" discussion, lights on vollie vehicles will never reach anything near agreement. Most are either for 'em or agin 'em.

I don't live far from the station. I use mine to make sure I don't get run over by others rushing to the station for an alarm. Traffic isn't usually an issue.

On the other hand, I do sometimes end up doing traffic control, where one's presence is best announced brightly, particularly on state highways. Don't tell me it's the cops' job (although I agree) - they're usually struggling to cover their own calls.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    f

If used responsibly POV lights (whether courtesy or emergency, depending on state law) have a legitimate use.
    I can agree with that. But if the OP is trying to use lights to beat guys who live 2 blocks from the station to ride out on a truck, and he's 3 miles away, they aren't going to accomplish that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information