Forum Member

Default fogging goggles?

i was wonder is there goggle out there that does not fog up. im getting tired of having to step away quickly to take my helmet off to wipe my goggles. if any one has a answer please let me know thanks

Forum Member

1. Step away, remove helmet.

2. Take goggles off.

3. Throw them in the trash.

4. Pull ut safety glasses in bunker coat.

5. Put them on and never look back.

Forum Member

LOL yeah that my plan. i think we have to have some type of eye protect on are helmet at all times.I maybe wrong.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDFF-31 View Post
    LOL yeah that my plan. i think we have to have some type of eye protect on are helmet at all times.I maybe wrong.
    Yes you may be. Your grammar however, certainly IS wrong.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I keep my goggles on my helmet for that "just in case" time that I don't have my safety glasses, or more often, loan my glasses to someone else that didn't have their eye pro.

If you have time, spit in your goggles. Not perfect, but helps.

Forum Member

I don't have goggles on my helmet, and I'm not real sure if this will help. However, I put toothpaste on the inside of my scuba mask and that helps with the fogging. Just rub it in and rinse out the excess. I would start with just a little since safety goggle lenses are plastic as opposed to scuba goggle lenses which are made of glass, and I'm not sure if toothpaste will mess with plastic. I doubt it will though.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFbg View Post
    I don't have goggles on my helmet, and I'm not real sure if this will help. However, I put toothpaste on the inside of my scuba mask and that helps with the fogging. Just rub it in and rinse out the excess. I would start with just a little since safety goggle lenses are plastic as opposed to scuba goggle lenses which are made of glass, and I'm not sure if toothpaste will mess with plastic. I doubt it will though.
    Be VERY careful with toothpaste - Most toothpast products contain a very fine "gritty" compound called pumice and it will scratch plastic (trust me I used to use toothpaste to polish metal gears in R/C car transmissions years ago).

Since I seldom use my goggles (safety glasses rock!!) I don't really do anything to keep them from fogging but there's a compound called "Cat Crap" (no not REAL cat crap) that gets very good reviews. Bikers use it on their visors.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...isor-anti-fog/
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Thanks for the replays. This been bugging me for weeks.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

fogging goggles?
    Just take the foggin' goggles off. Or you could put your foggin' mask on. Pretty foggin' simple, really....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by N2DFire View Post
    Be VERY careful with toothpaste - Most toothpast products contain a very fine "gritty" compound called pumice and it will scratch plastic (trust me I used to use toothpaste to polish metal gears in R/C car transmissions years ago).

Since I seldom use my goggles (safety glasses rock!!) I don't really do anything to keep them from fogging but there's a compound called "Cat Crap" (no not REAL cat crap) that gets very good reviews. Bikers use it on their visors.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...isor-anti-fog/
    Well thanks. I didn't mean to give bad info. It doesn't do anything to glass scuba lenses, but plastic lenses would definitely be another story.

Forum Member

You can buy anti-fog coatings in most dive shops. However I have yet to find a goggle that doesn't fog regardless. One of the reasons I think the NFPA thoughts about making goggles the required eye protection the standard is foolish.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFbg View Post
    I'd stay away from toothpaste. Don't coat your goggles/face piece with the same stuff you polish your badge with.

Forum Member

There is a spray used to keep the a hockey helmet shield from fogging. It'll neeed to be re-applied every couple of days. You could also use shaving cream, which I think will last longer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe there is an alternative...

Lights too.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Just take the foggin' goggles off. Or you could put your foggin' mask on. Pretty foggin' simple, really....
    Foggin' ridiculous.

You beat me to it!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

i was also wondering what is the differences between the goggles we can buy that mount to are helmets and like motorcross goggles other then it says nfpa.

Forum Member

Johnson and Johnson no tears shampoo works just like Rain X and will not harm the plastic. Use a small amount and let dry. Buff it off. Works for quite a while too. The Cat Crap works and I have some I bought years ago at a ski shop.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDFF-31 View Post
    i was also wondering what is the differences between the goggles we can buy that mount to are helmets and like motorcross goggles other then it says nfpa.
    that is about the only difference, fire gear has NFPA, so it is twice as high, even though the ESS saftey glasses that I used to use till I got the hide-a-way glasses and they were the same setup as motocross, just no NFPA labeling.

And it must be NFPA for firefighting
    Bill Davis
    West Harrison Fire Dept
    2009 Rookie of the Year
    www.westharrisonfire.com
    IACOJ Rookie-We all gotta start somewhere

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by whfd930 View Post
    that is about the only difference, fire gear has NFPA, so it is twice as high, even though the ESS saftey glasses that I used to use till I got the hide-a-way glasses and they were the same setup as motocross, just no NFPA labeling.

And it must be NFPA for firefighting
    Thanks that what i thought.
    R.I.P Brandon von Koschembahr RVFD 11:11

Thread Information