Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default FDNY Adds anoth 10 Aerials to Ferrara

FDNY adds another 10 Trucks before even taking delivery of the 1st. http://evehiclenews.com/2010/03/23/f...erial-ladders/

MembersZone Subscriber TruckeeT2's Avatar

Wonder why FDNY is going with Ferrara for their RM Ladders? Only thing I'm only seeing that the trucks they ordered are more narrow and low profile height then the one's they have now made by Seagrave

Forum Member

I believe that the FDNY is upset with Seagrave over warranty/service issues more than anything. The Seagrave dealers are constantly changing. Only Seagrave and Ferrara bid on the ladder truck contract for the FDNY so they didn't have much of a choice on who to go with. On the rescue order, only Ferrara bid. I don't think any of the other major apparatus builders (e.g., Pierce) want anythng to do with the FDNY due to their extreme support requirements. In the article, the Ferrara President and CEO (Chris Ferrara) was quoted s saying “The addition of these ten units should be interpreted as a clear signal that FDNY is pleased with the progress we’ve made on the initial order, as well as our willingness and ability to custom engineer the trucks to meet all their needs.” The real story is that the FDNY has boxed themselves into dealing only with Ferrara. Good luck FDNY! I can't wait to see how the Ferrara's hold up with pounding they are going to get in NY.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TruckeeT2 View Post
    Wonder why FDNY is going with Ferrara for their RM Ladders? Only thing I'm only seeing that the trucks they ordered are more narrow and low profile height then the one's they have now made by Seagrave
    Somewhere in here there's a long and exhaustive thread on that very subject.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Somewhere in here there's a long and exhaustive thread on that very subject.
    Most definitely! This is really old news but it was interesting to hear Ferrara's spin on why the FDNY ordered 10 more before they have even seen the 1st production unit. Anybody buy that line of BS?

Jeez, for a minute there, I thought I was reading a press release out of Appleton.

I'n going to be interested to see how the LADDERS hold up. T.C.

Forum Member

I'm still very curious as to the new cab that Ferrara is going to build for the FDNY aerial and rescue truck contracts. Per contract, the cab is stainless steel and split-tilt, like the new Seagrave MII engines that FDNY purchased over the past few years. The standard Ferrara custom cabs (Inferno and Igniter) are aluminum and no split-tilt. Question is will they make a new version of one of their custom cabs with these features or do something else? This leads me to a question that has been bugging me for quite some time concerning two 2003 Ferrara HP engines (E54 in Manhattan and E258 in Queens). Take a look at the "Ferrara" cab on E54 (see link below), that definitely does NOT look like your typical Ferrara custom cab. The second link below for E283 shows an older Ferrara engine with their typical cab that this Brooklyn company had for a couple of years before it was sent to the Bureau of Training. Does anybody know the real story behind the Ferrara cab on E54 and E258?? I've been told but it's a little hard for me to believe that Ferrara bought cabs from Seagrave for the build of 54 and 258. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the FDNY aerials and rescue trucks look like when they first show up. I love a good mystery!

http://fdnytrucks.com/files/html/manhattan/e54.htm

http://fdnytrucks.com/files/html/brooklyn/e283.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

The FFA HP pumper cabs were built by FFA in FFA's shop. I'm looking but I have a few photos of them in various stages of production. I was there interviewing for a job and know a few people in the shop well so I was able to snoop around and see for myself. The FDNY specifications are precise to the point that regardless of who builds the truck, it's going to look very close and operate as transparent between brands as possible. Granted, FDNY and Seagrave worked closely when they developed the first set of post-Mack engines, which is why a lot of the Seagrave feel is in the rigs, but you get the point.
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Engine 283 was a standard fare Ferrara cab that was a donation after 9/11 I believe.

Engine 54 was Ferrara built, and I'm sure not a Seagrave provided cab shell. I recall looking at one of these cabs that they did for FDNY at some show, and while it was very close to the Seagrave product there were some differences.

If you look closely at the photo for E54 you linked to, and this link below for a similar vintage Seagrave rig, there are differences in the grab handle positioning, and other access panels, as well as the cut of the window on the driver's door. I think Ferrara had such a tight spec to work with, the ultimate result was very Seagrave looking...

http://fdnytrucks.com/files/html/brooklyn.htm
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeadOff View Post
    Most definitely! This is really old news but it was interesting to hear Ferrara's spin on why the FDNY ordered 10 more before they have even seen the 1st production unit. Anybody buy that line of BS?
    When you drive a Yugo have a spare.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info on the cab that Ferrara previously built for the FDNY. They should offer that cab as one of their custom cabs. It looks a lot better than the Inferno and Igniter with those big ugly windshields (very similar to the old Simon-Duplex cab) and the ALF looking plastic grill. To me, those cabs look more like the front of a motor home than a fire truck.

Forum Member

Don't the cabs / chassis have to be certifed now by the engine manufacturer for cooling, emissions, etc? Interesting they have a new cab nobody has seen, or maybe there is secret one built and certified somewhere!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FD1976 View Post
    Don't the cabs / chassis have to be certifed now by the engine manufacturer for cooling, emissions, etc? Interesting they have a new cab nobody has seen, or maybe there is secret one built and certified somewhere!
    I was wondering the same thing myself. I really didn't think that Ferrara would build a cab quite different than anything they offered at the time for an order of only two (2) engines. However, since it was for the FDNY, maybe I can understand why they did it. It was probably to get their foot in the door in NY and it has apparently worked with the aerial and rescue orders. I guess all you can say at this point is good luck to the FDNY with the new Ferraras and at the same time, good luck to Ferrara in keeping the FDNY happy with the warranty and service requirements.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by laddertruckgoes View Post
    The FFA HP pumper cabs were built by FFA in FFA's shop. I'm looking but I have a few photos of them in various stages of production. I was there interviewing for a job and know a few people in the shop well so I was able to snoop around and see for myself. The FDNY specifications are precise to the point that regardless of who builds the truck, it's going to look very close and operate as transparent between brands as possible. Granted, FDNY and Seagrave worked closely when they developed the first set of post-Mack engines, which is why a lot of the Seagrave feel is in the rigs, but you get the point.
    Just one more question and I'll put this "mystery" to bed. Are the cabs bullt for E54 and E258 stainless steel?

Default Ferrara Cab

If I remember correctly, the cab is/was called the " Ultra" or Ultimate.

The third HP pumper that was built was used on Tv as a FDNY Squad, but was never part of FDNY, always belinged to Ferrara.

I called our dealer. He believes those cabs were galvanized steel. They used to offer that cab and chassis as the Ultra but FDNY was about the only department ordering fixed cabs. I'll take that big ol' windshield over the little ones on most other rigs. Visibility is great.
    Also, the grilles on Ferraras are polished aluminum.

All the bad mouthing of Ferrara makes me laugh. People act like FDNY is the first major department to order these trucks and that just becuase they arent what everyone is used to they will be junk.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    All the bad mouthing of Ferrara makes me laugh. People act like FDNY is the first major department to order these trucks and that just becuase they arent what everyone is used to they will be junk.
    Time will tell. If they are junk, the FDNY will find this out pretty quickly. There are only a few Ferraras down my way and they are, to put it politely, less than desireable. The companies that bought them didn't go back to them for additional orders. Ferrara may very well be building a better quality product now, they better be or the NY boys are going to give them a lot of bad publicity.

Forum Member

Ferrara had one of those trucks at FDIC back in 2005 I believe and I crawled all over it. It was parked on the road outside the conference center. It is a dead ringer for an FDNY Seagrave and built extreme duty for sure. Also, as mentioned earlier, it is a fixed cab. Ferrara builds a quality rig and I'm sure they will hold-up just fine to whatever FDNY can throw at it. I recall there is a story behind the Ultra chassis between Chris Ferrara and Jim Hebe I think, maybe someone else can confirm this.

Thread Information