Forum Member

Default Air Force FF schedule

Hello everyone I have searched everywhere but I can't find any no-BS answers so I will appreciate any time spent helping me. What is the typical day of an AF firefighter on base? What are deployments like? I have seen videos of AF firefighters in convoys and even in a firefight on youtube.. are they issued weapons and do they leave the wire? Once again thank you to everyone for their time.

-PS- Deployments don't bother me as I was enlisting into the Army Infantry until some unexpected changes in the US government :/ I'm a vollunteer firefighter in Ohio and was looking into the AirForce to help me become a man and give me extra training for when I start applying for a full-time position.

Forum Member

I think the military does a 24/24 schedule. I am not 100% about that, cause I am not in the military, but I think I read somewhere that that is what they work.

One thing to think about, and I am sure that others would say the same thing, don't join the military to get on the job. There are tons of people that got hired without servince (including me). I would say join the military because you want to do it for you. Granted being a service member will give you an extra 5 points on the test but there ware ways to make up for those points. College and certs will look good on the application and will make you stand out in the oral board.

How long have you been a vollunteer?

Forum Member

most work 24 on 24 off with three days offf every other week

some places work different schedules

if you think you are going over seas to war, you might wind up overseas in thule greenland air force base

http://www.peterson.af.mil/units/821stairbase/index.asp

here is a web site:::

http://www.dodfire.com/

http://www.dodfire.net/forum/login.a...get=active.asp

agree with previous poster af does not help that much in getting a job, unless it is federal!!!

they do not fight that much fire/ more aircraft slanted

what state are you in??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SCT102 View Post
    Hello everyone I have searched everywhere but I can't find any no-BS answers so I will appreciate any time spent helping me. What is the typical day of an AF firefighter on base? What are deployments like? I have seen videos of AF firefighters in convoys and even in a firefight on youtube.. are they issued weapons and do they leave the wire? Once again thank you to everyone for their time.

-PS- Deployments don't bother me as I was enlisting into the Army Infantry until some unexpected changes in the US government :/ I'm a vollunteer firefighter in Ohio and was looking into the AirForce to help me become a man and give me extra training for when I start applying for a full-time position.
    An Air Force firefighter is an Airman first, and a firefighter second... which is what alot of boneheads coming into the Air Force these days cannot get through their heads. It depends largely where you are stationed at, who you are stationed with, and the ops tempo of the base you work at. For the most part, it is cleaning, fire training, computer based training, maybe some readiness training... well, lots of training. Call volume is lower than most places because prevention is a big part of AF fire protection.

Deployments vary. You could be deployed to a an established base and do basically the same thing you do at home, just pulling more money, or you could be at a hole in the ground with an airfield sleeping with your M-16. You'll get issued a weapon if your mission dictates it, otherwise, you juts have to stay qualified. Any questions PM me.

Forum Member

Thanks everyone for your help and insight i appreciate it. I'm a vollunteer firefighter in Ohio and have been for about 3 months. I can start the Fire Academy here in Ohio in July and graduate in January and then start Medic school directly afterwards or I could join the Air Force, however the recruiter said it could take six months to get Fire Protection (maybe longer) and even longer to get into BMT. Would a full time department prefer me being a paramedic already over being prior service? Once again thank you everyone

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    agree with previous poster af does not help that much in getting a job, unless it is federal!!!
    BALONEY!

Lets see.....5 to 10 extra points on civil service exams, depending on what city. The City of Philadelphia, for example, offers 10 extra points to their Firefighters Written Exam for any honorably discharged veteran.

Not to mention the full set of IFSAC/Pro-Board certifications you will leave the service with, which will get you hired in many non-civil service departments. And while you are in your enlistment, you can obtain your EMT certification, which also helps you obtain gainful employment upon release of your enlistment.

If I were in charge of hiring, given two candidates with equal amounts of training with verifiable certs and equal amounts of experience; one having served in the Military and one not, I would hire the honorably discharged veteran over the non-vet.

Oh, and by the way, for the original question: the civilian firefighters work 24/24. Enlisted personnel work a different schedule, much like any other Military Occupation, they work pretty much around the clock with occasional time off.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 03-24-2010 at 08:19 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    BALONEY!
    Oh, and by the way, for the original question: the civilian firefighters work 24/24. Enlisted personnel work a different schedule, much like any other Military Occupation, they work pretty much around the clock with occasional time off.
    ...and the reason for that being what I said before: your an Airman first and firefighter second. Most honest departments will give you your time off deserved, but if it comes down to pulling a kelly day or giving overtime, they usually err on the side of pulling a kelly day. Not to mention mandatory appointments conveniently made in your off time, exercises, military recalls, etc.

To answer your question about paramedic vs. military service, I would say paramedic, just for the sheer fact that they are in demand for the fire service in general. Not to say an honorable discharge will not help. Look at your short-term and long-term goals, and figure out what the best path is going to be for you, whether it is military (more than just fire service connected benefits come with the military, keep that in mind) or civilian fire academy/paramedic.

Forum Member

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the time spent here, I think that unless I can leave for BMT in July or earlier then I'll just go the civillian route

Forum Member

at most bases both MILITARY AND CIVILIAN work 24/24. the civilians and military and almost always on the same schedule. now with that said there are things that you will have to do on your days off but thats a part of being military. shreddincali had it pretty close on deployments. you could be at an established base or you could be in tent city on a army fob. as an air force fireman you shouldnt be doing convoys or going outside the wire but that all depends on your location, mine currently in afghanistan we do convoy and are outside the wire on the airfield for 12hrs a day. its going to take you awhile to get the job but trust me its worth it. email me and ill explian further. Cianconroy@aol.com
    SrA Christopher Conroy
    Firefighter/EVO USAF
    Hickam AFB HI

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    if you think you are going over seas to war, you might wind up overseas in thule greenland air force base

http://www.peterson.af.mil/units/821stairbase/index.asp
    Just a little side track.

Is there USAF FF's at Thule?? In the few times I've been there I always thought they were part of Greenland Contractors. None of the guys I spoke with sounded like English was their primary language.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CConroy View Post
    at most bases both MILITARY AND CIVILIAN work 24/24. the civilians and military and almost always on the same schedule. now with that said there are things that you will have to do on your days off but thats a part of being military. shreddincali had it pretty close on deployments. you could be at an established base or you could be in tent city on a army fob. as an air force fireman you shouldnt be doing convoys or going outside the wire but that all depends on your location, mine currently in afghanistan we do convoy and are outside the wire on the airfield for 12hrs a day. its going to take you awhile to get the job but trust me its worth it. email me and ill explian further. Cianconroy@aol.com
    SrA Christopher Conroy
    Firefighter/EVO USAF
    Hickam AFB HI
    Jeesuz.. who used their real name on here? I'd watch that man.. you never know who's watching.
    Not all sites are following the 24 on 24 off anymore (the worst schedule in the world) Many have moved to the 2 on 3 off model, and love it. In England the civilians have an entirely different schedule than the GI's (union laws).
    Most good Chiefs will fight for you /not/ have to do things on your days off. They recently started tracking that data and forwarding it up to AFCESA for review. Not that it happens all the time, but working a tuesday night and being busy, then having to do some dumb @ss CE training is not really fair, or right.
    Most, if not all Army Fob's are contracted out now. The AF has held onto some bases (those SMSgt's got to make Chief somehow) but for the most part you are sticking around an AF site (JBB) and playing volleyball.
    The only time you should be pulling convoy duty is when you are T Coded, happens, but not as much as it use to.
    It's a good job and is filled with some great guys.. but i'd still advise you to go guard or reserve.

Forum Member

No matter what kind a schedule you work it is still a 72 Hour work week! Most city departments got rid of that schedule in the 40's

Thread Information