Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Using AFG Grant to pay for Apparatus already ordered but not delivered?

I may possibly be getting an AFG apparatus grant soon. I am wondering since we purchased an engine but have not took delivery yet or for another few months can I use the AFG grant to pay for it? I know is seems not to be able to but someone said thay have heard of this being allowed on a case-by case basis. I hate to have two new pumpers around while having to pay a note on $200K for one of them in a smaller department.

Thanks,

Chris

CGaines78@yahoo.com
    ______________________________ ____________
    Chris E. Gaines
    CGaines78@Yahoo.Com
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    "When a man becomes a fireman his greatest act of bravery has been accomplished. What he does after that is all in the line of duty."
    ~Edward F. Croker
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, that gives that protestor the freedom to burn the flag." --Father O'Brien, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by cgaines78 View Post
    I may possibly be getting an AFG apparatus grant soon. I am wondering since we purchased an engine but have not took delivery yet or for another few months can I use the AFG grant to pay for it? I know is seems not to be able to but someone said thay have heard of this being allowed on a case-by case basis. I hate to have two new pumpers around while having to pay a note on $200K for one of them in a smaller department.

Thanks,

Chris

CGaines78@yahoo.com
    In a word, NO

Forum Member

I have heard of it being done. I cannot say that I agree with it, but it does happen. All you can do is ask if you receive the award.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cgaines78 View Post

Thanks,

Chris

CGaines78@yahoo.com
    This would be done on a case-by-case basis due extenuating circumstances beyond the control of the department.

My first question is: Why did you order a pumper in the first place?

On face value it appears you are playing both ends to the middle.....apply for a grant...apply for a loan and see what happens. In this case, both.

So my second question is: How did you justify financial need in the narrative when it appears that purchasing a pumper through a loan was an option? Because if the department was approved for even a low interest loan indicates that the department is financially sound or the loan would not have been approved.

[So my second question is: How did you justify financial need in the narrative when it appears that purchasing a pumper through a loan was an option? Because if the department was approved for even a low interest loan indicates that the department is financially sound or the loan would not have been approved.[/QUOTE]

And I think that is the way AFG is going to look at it. If you canít afford it you wouldnít have ordered it and that is not quite fair to all of the other departments out there that really needs a truck replaced but donít have the means to pay for it.

Forum Member

It has been done on a case by case basis when existing units have had complete failures and can't be repaired leaving the department without a working pumper or tanker (assuming the lone one is the one out of service). I have someone in that position now where 2 units had major mechanical failures and couldn't be repaired so the department was borrowing trucks until petitions came in from the union and other sources saying something had to be done ASAP. Especially when the borrowed trucks couldn't be borrowed any more and mutual aid isn't an option.

Otherwise if no mechanical failures happened then it will be viewed as a trying to grab two in one deal, ordering one to speed up the process hoping the grant will come through to pay for it. As the others have mentioned, kind of makes the financial section an outright lie if it was said that financing couldn't be found. So if that claim was made the entire application is fraudulent and will be removed from consideration.

Thread Information