Forum Member

Default Looking for successful narratives for volunteer fire dept.

Hi all,

I'm trying to help out the volunteer fire company that we share the station with. They have been applying for AFG since it began nearly a decade ago. They have been rejected every year. All of their gear is 15+ years old, they said they can only use their airpacks for another year and then they have to get rid of them, and all of their trucks except one are from the 70s-80s.

I'm looking for some successful narratives especially for PPE and airpacks. Also, it would be awesome if someone could supply one for a tanker.

If there are any grant writers on here that might be interested in writing for the department, let me know. I realize it's late in the game, but I'm not sure how much notice you all need.

Please email ReadeAreaAmbulance@gmail.com

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Well first off they don't have to get rid of thier SCBA becuase there 15 yr old. They only have to get new bottle as I suspect then have composite bottles of some sort. Can you give me more information about there departments details. I'll look up my older narritives and send them to you.

Forum Member

Talking

Thats what happens when you get successful in the grant writing game. Everyone wants your help.
    Seems like our young grasshopper has found a new calling in addition to Medical school.
    Have they done a written needs assessment ?

What are the highest priority needs?
    What is their call volume?

Full NFPA compliant personal protective gear is almost a shoe in. Highest priority.

SCBA would also rank high in the right circumstances.
    When they were rejected in the past, what were the reasons given?

Did they make it past the computer to peer review?
    Cost benefit ratio of projects. If the numbers are too high it lowers the score.
    Often times it's better to ask for smaller single item projects of high priority to get them funded rather than the shopping cart approach to get the C/B ratio down.
    That would give us an idea if it's their numbers or their narratives that need to be worked on. The run numbers and demographics they entered might be a reason to not get past the computer scoring. Are they putting the right information in the right boxes?
    Sometimes not understanding the question leads to giving the wrong answer.
    Not advising to lie or alter the numbers to make them look better. Just putting the correct info in the right place can make a difference.
    With lower funding levels for 2010 grant apps will need to be extremely competitive.
    There are many of us here willing to help, just need a little more info.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by medstudent13 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm trying to help out the volunteer fire company that we share the station with. They have been applying for AFG since it began nearly a decade ago. They have been rejected every year. All of their gear is 15+ years old, they said they can only use their airpacks for another year and then they have to get rid of them, and all of their trucks except one are from the 70s-80s.

I'm looking for some successful narratives especially for PPE and airpacks. Also, it would be awesome if someone could supply one for a tanker.

If there are any grant writers on here that might be interested in writing for the department, let me know. I realize it's late in the game, but I'm not sure how much notice you all need.

Please email ReadeAreaAmbulance@gmail.com

Thanks
    Sent you one that was awarded in 2003 for PPE. I guess the data monster eat the one for SCBAs. I should be able to find it on some old backup tapes. Will get it to you. Good luck.

Forum Member

Wink Support your local grasshopper

Yes, the young grasshopper is following in the footsteps of those brave and handsome grantwriters that have come before her. Its a logical transition. Wait till she gets two award years under her belt. They'll be calling her everyday and everyday she will spend time in the grants world. That is not logic, but a flippin' fact.

Ok, I'll send you some, but why not ask your Doctor S. He probably has as many as anyone here, or has he already filled that need?

Forum Member

Med
    Sent one that was for both T/O gear and SCBA's that was awarded in round 2 this year. Good luck.

Forum Member

Thanks everyone for the help! Grantwriters who responded, I'll forward your contact info to the Chief.

Forum Member

Check mail, sent one. Hope it helps

Forum Member

Not sure but you posted "volunteer fire company that we share the station with" If both are under the same roof you may have a problem.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hanover, PA--The snack food capitol of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Midland35 View Post
    Not sure but you posted "volunteer fire company that we share the station with" If both are under the same roof you may have a problem.
    Midland is correct. Unless the 2010 program guidance changes, FEMA/DHS only allows one recipient per physical address. Both you and the fire company can't apply in the same year.

Phil Goldsmith
    Hanover, PA

Forum Member

No problem, I think. Even if only 1 organization per physical address is the hard rule. Ambulance was awarded from 2009 program to the EMS agency. FD can apply for 2010 program. May still be possible for both to apply if completely seperate entities housed in the same building. Have to carefully read the 2010 guidance document when it is issued.

Forum Member

Hopefully, they don't do that "one grant per physical address" thing. We are completely 100% separate. Bad idea DHS

Forum Member

Been that way for years.

From the guidance:

This determination is designed to avoid duplication of benefits. For example, it would not be cost-beneficial to purchase two firefighting vehicles for two fire departments that share a facility to serve the same community when so many other communities need new apparatus; nor would it be cost-beneficial to buy two sets of equipment for the same firefighters. We believe that two or more organizations that share facilities should be able to satisfy all of their operational needs with one program area application. Thus, if two or more organizations that share facilities each submit an application in the same program area, we will deem all of those program area applications as ineligible.

There does seem to be a (small) loophole in some of the verbage which states:

For the purposes of these grants, we consider two or more separate fire departments or nonaffiliated EMS organizations that share facilities as being one organization.

It doesn't technically say one fire department and one nonaffiliated EMS organization.

Forum Member

Talking

If the fire department & the non affiliated EMS service are separate corporate entities with individual duns numbers and separate boards of directors, that happen to share the same building then they are OK. The EMS agency is not asking for fire equipment and vice versa.

At least thats the translation I was given by a regional AFG rep when we posed that question to him for a service I helped write for..

I think the rule was put in place for areas where a paid city or county and a volunteer organization share quarters for their apparatus.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 03-25-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: added additional sentence

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post

Thus, if two or more organizations that share facilities each submit an application in the same program area, we will deem all of those program area applications as ineligible.[/i]

There does seem to be a (small) loophole in some of the verbage which states:

For the purposes of these grants, we consider two or more separate fire departments or nonaffiliated EMS organizations that share facilities as being one organization.

It doesn't technically say one fire department and one nonaffiliated EMS organization.

Since both agencies are seperate entities and are not applying for the same program areas, they should be entitled to be considered and awarded regardless of physical street address.

Forum Member

While I feel that a separate Fire Department and stand alone EMS agency sharing a facility should be able to apply with separate applications, that's not officially what the guidance (vaguely) says.

Thread Information