Thread: chesapeake fire

Forum Member

Default cpat

I just finished taking the cpat and I saw a couple of posts above about chesapeake wanting to hire a majority of minorties and women. Is there anywhere to check to see how many spots they are hiring for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by banditz28 View Post
    I just finished taking the cpat and I saw a couple of posts above about chesapeake wanting to hire a majority of minorties and women. Is there anywhere to check to see how many spots they are hiring for?
    They wouldn't put that out on their web site.

eB
    Forum Member

I got a 90.21 on the written and recieved a packet in the mail. Monday I took the CPAT and failed. The only hard part about Chesapeake's CPAT is the stair climber. By the time my 3 minutes and 20 seconds were up I couldn't hardly walk. When it came time to run for the hose drag I felt like my "run" was in slow motion. I am taking Norfolk's physical agility test today at 10am; I have taken that before and passed. No stair machines there lol. I am still waiting for my written results from Suffolk to see if I get to go take there Physical agility test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eB View Post
    I got a 90.21 on the written and recieved a packet in the mail. Monday I took the CPAT and failed. The only hard part about Chesapeake's CPAT is the stair climber. By the time my 3 minutes and 20 seconds were up I couldn't hardly walk. When it came time to run for the hose drag I felt like my "run" was in slow motion. I am taking Norfolk's physical agility test today at 10am; I have taken that before and passed. No stair machines there lol. I am still waiting for my written results from Suffolk to see if I get to go take there Physical agility test.

EB practice Pal. Find some stairs in a parking garage and get on them to get your body up to speed. If you go by a fire house that is near you and tell them that your are trying to get a job and ask if you can use several sections of hoseline and nozzle to practice with on their back ramp, I am sure they may help you out. I sure would when I was in the house.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I take my CPAT Friday. I'm a little nervous about the stairs, but I exceed the recommended workouts by atleast a factor of 2, so hopefully that will pull me through. I have not done a lot of stair work though, so we shall see. I hope me being a white male will not hurt me in the hiring process...

Forum Member

this is going to sound retarted but how important are the aptitude test results when it comes down to the final decision. I got just over 9 mins on the cpat but the aptitude test results were in th 80's, or do they judge you based only on your interviews, references, ect?

Forum Member

passed the CPAT today. Not saying it was easy, but it was the first one of it's kind I have done (the stair machine, ladder extension, maze, dummy drag, pike pole, etc.) and it was not as bad as I was expecting. Good luck to all. The hard part will be getting all of that paperwork together haha, it sure is a bunch!

Forum Member

Man, I am not sure what my problem was. But I knew the CPAT was going to be difficult. And not doing it before, I was pretty intimidated. I didn't even make it past the Stair Climb. It was pretty embarrassing. So having second thoughts about the whole process now...

MembersZone Subscriber

how many of you who failed the cpat are going to go to the training sessions and re take it in 12 weeks

Forum Member

took my CPAT and passed last week, I've been busy so I haven't been on here. It was hard but you were given the material before we took it. It shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone. Not trying to be an jerk but if you failed the CPAT your going to have a hell of a time in the academy and I've talked to a couple CFD members, they confirm its no joke. So there giving you the 12 weeks (which is a crock) but if your serious about this job id take this as a blessing and get your *** in the gym.
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

Forum Member

anyone hear anything thing else on how many there hiring or if there putting a class together??

Forum Member

Has anyone heard back yet i know there not supposed to start calling back until early august but just wondering if anyone had any new information.

MembersZone Subscriber

nothing here... any of you who failed the cpat take it over again or just say heck with it

Forum Member

anyone hear any news yet??

Shawshank

Any of you other than JeepMike take the Norfolk test as well?
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Forum Member

shawshank, check your PM's

Shawshank

copy that Mike
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

MembersZone Subscriber

any new info??... any one have any stats on the number of fire and ems runs they had last year and how many were actual working fires?

Forum Member

Any updates on this? It's driving me crazy.

Forum Member

I have not heard anything since CPAT back in May. I don't think anyone else has either?

Forum Member

thats good to know. I know All the other people who failed the cpat the first time are still training for the "second" chance they get which is bull crap by the way. I thought the cpat test was supposed to weed out alot of people. Well, they have had 12 weeks of training to try again. Guess when the last re-test is done they will start sending out letters for interviews. Hope it's soon.
    Last edited by Forbes; 08-25-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Forum Member

I called Chesapeake fire's number and asked a few questions anonymously of course. They finished up with the make up cpat course about 2 weeks ago and they said that all interview letters would be sent out by the 1st of Sept. They have apparently moved up the academy start date to early/mid December. I also heard some buzz from a few FF's in the area that there are something like 11 people retiring in the next few months and they could possibly move the start date of the academy up. I don't know for sure that's just what they were rumoring.

Forum Member

Probably an academy in january with about 20-24 spots, but we'll see

Forum Member

Anyone heard anything yet?

Forum Member

i haven't heard anything hate the waiting the game

Thread Information