MembersZone Subscriber

Default Travel to Alaska

i'm a single guy looking to go to Alaska. I cant really find anyone to go with. With that it mind, it makes it hard to get a cruise together because it would almost be double.

So, instead, I am thinking of taking a ferry from seattle and crusing up along the coast, stopping at the towns it gets off at with a tent and staying in the parks.

Has anyone tried to do something like this?

And, has anyone tried to take the ferry? From what little research I have done, it looks like the ferry ticket is like 400 bucks but I dont know how far that will get me. If anyone has any insight, please help me out.
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Never been there

hae you looked into the trains that run that way and through canada??

My brother flys into small towns and strikes out from there, mainly on fishing trips.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Never been there

hae you looked into the trains that run that way and through canada??

My brother flys into small towns and strikes out from there, mainly on fishing trips.
    I don't think there is any train services that travel the wast coast of Canada. You might try either Via Rail or CN or CP. Its a beautiful area though. Malahat can give you a lot more info I'm sure. Also RspctfromCalgary.
    Last edited by BryanLoader; 03-25-2010 at 04:08 AM.

Forum Member

Forum Member

The ferry from tacoma will take you to whittier. It takes about 7 days, depending on the weather.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    i'm a single guy looking to go to Alaska. I cant really find anyone to go with. With that it mind, it makes it hard to get a cruise together because it would almost be double.

So, instead, I am thinking of taking a ferry from seattle and crusing up along the coast, stopping at the towns it gets off at with a tent and staying in the parks.

Has anyone tried to do something like this?

And, has anyone tried to take the ferry? From what little research I have done, it looks like the ferry ticket is like 400 bucks but I dont know how far that will get me. If anyone has any insight, please help me out.

No girlfriend??? Find you one and take her and have loads of fun.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    I don't think there is any train services that travel the wast coast of Canada. You might try either Via Rail or CN or CP. Its a beautiful area though. Malahat can give you a lot more info I'm sure. Also RspctfromCalgary.
    Actually that last time I rode train north of Vancouver was 1979/80. BC Rail used to run a passenger service between Vancouver and Prince Rupert, not sure if they still do or not. Prince Rupert is the farthest north I've ever been, either by sea or road, so in reality, I'm not a good source of info on this particular question.

Myself, I'd check with BC Rail.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ferry!

My dads, brothers and friends have been to Alaska every year for the last five years to fish and hunt black bears. We have atruck with all of our gear that takes off ot Bellingham WA and goes to Ketchikan and then we take a small ferry over to POW (Prince of Whales) Island and spend time fishing and hangin. THe ferry is fun but once you do it you would rather fly. THe trip on the ferry is like 2-3 days long. You can rent a room or camp on boat. Google alaska ferry service and you wil get loads of info..

Forum Member

Take the ferry, pitch your tent on the stern deck. Gret time, you'll have a ball. Took trim in '89. Hope to take my kids some summer but Seattle ius 2000mi away.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's a great adventure and I highly recommend to everyone to go if they have the chance. May/June into early September is the best time to go.

There are plenty of hostels there. Hop the ferry in Bellingham and for the 3 day ride I would recommend getting a cabin. From Ketchikan you have to change to another ferry to continue up the Inside Passage all the way up to Haines. SE Alaska is a rainforest climate so you need to be prepared to get a little wet even in the summer.

How long you looking to go? Do you have a time frame of when?

Thread Information