MembersZone Subscriber

Default Synthetic fire hose: pro's & con's

We were awarded a grant this year for all new hose. We will be replacing our 1 3/4 inch attack line and was wondering about synthetic hose. Can someone give me some pro's and con's. We want to stay with colored hose if we can.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JSMV72 View Post
    We were awarded a grant this year for all new hose. We will be replacing our 1 3/4 inch attack line and was wondering about synthetic hose. Can someone give me some pro's and con's. We want to stay with colored hose if we can.
    Tell me you seriously would consider buying cotton hose in the year 2010? Are there any hose MFR's that even sell it anymore?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

So, guess maybe that was a dumb question? I haven' researched fire hose at all, and had no idea there was only synthetic. Guess maybe thats why most of our hose is over 25 to 35 years old, lol. So what company makes a good synthetic hose, there must be some better than others.

Stay safe

Forum Member

the fun of semantics. The outer material in fire hoses are synthetic, what I assume you are asking about is hose with an extruded rubber outer jacket instead of the more traditional polyester or nylon woven jacket.

I have used both, most of our hose is the woven jacket kind. I haven't noticed to much of a difference between the two except with the extruded rubber jacket hose, if packed wet they hose sticks to itself much easier. I imagine the extruded surface is easier to decon than the woven jacket if exposed to chemicals, but thats just a guess.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JSMV72 View Post
    So, guess maybe that was a dumb question? I haven' researched fire hose at all, and had no idea there was only synthetic. Guess maybe thats why most of our hose is over 25 to 35 years old, lol. So what company makes a good synthetic hose, there must be some better than others.

Stay safe
    I personally prefer Angus Hi-Combat for 1.75" or 2" attack lines. It is extremely lightweight, and the weave of the composite sheathing makes it "slide" around corners and up stairs like butter, now if they could just make the couplings stop snagging, they would have the perfect product!

For my heavier attack lines and light feeder lines (2.5", 3") I like Ponn Supreme or Neidner.

For LDH I prefer Snap-Tite or Angus.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Take a look at Mercedes hose. We have a truck loaded with it, it's some nice hose.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes.s.s.s.... You definitely do not want to return to the days of cotton jackets, scrubbing out the debris and hanging it in the hose tower. Any old timer on here can tell you horror stories about being soaking wet from dripping hose hung in the tower, getting smacked in the head by couplings, throwing out anything that sat for more then 3 days because of mildew and rot, blown hose on 20% of the fire runs requiring a supply hose laid in the street. The kick in the butt you got for forgetting to put the hose cover in place on a rainy night... and we could go on and on about what needed to be done about caring for cotton jacket hose.
    Strongly suggest that you try out each type of hose that you are considering buying. We use Neidner for our 1 3/4" but pump it hot (180 psi) so it has a little less tendency to kink or to whip around when extending the nozzle 3 or 4 feet out from your hand to reach into attic space or windows. For attack lines the difference in friction loss is less important than if it was on a 4 or 5 inch supply line over long distances or high flows. In the 1960's we switched from cotton jacket to synthetic 3" supply before changing to 5" in the mid 1970's. In that time frame we bought Ponn Supreme for all the 1 1/2" preconnects. Try running some tests like described in Fire Engineering concerning kinks. Try extending the nozzle several feet above your head on a 60 degree fog pattern ad then whip the line around. Lower pressures (125 EP) have a tendency to amplify the whipping action and should be looked at as a possible safety concern. The type of filler and warp tension in the weave can make a big difference in the handling. Based upon strength and wet strength of fibers, Dacron polyester is probably the material of choice rather then nylon or other synthetic fibers. If you do a lot of runs into some industries (we have carbon and graphite plants) you might consider one line with urethane coating to help with cleaning. Want to tick off a home owner, drag a graphite coated line over a light colored rug.
    Last edited by KuhShise; 03-28-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

Having a fresh hair style is important to both of men and women.Before making a hair style in salon maybe you can first buy a hair wig to wear and have a look if the hairstyle is fit for you or not.There are various types of hair wigs such as long curly hair and other hair colors of hair wigs for people to choose.You can choose it according to your preference.

Forum Member

Try and purchase hose made in the USA -
    ?

Thread Information