Thread: DJ's

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    And over-worked mutual aid tends to stop responding when it gets abused like that. Happening not to far from you, hence a repeat SAFER for hiring announced today since mutual aid couldn't respond for lack of staffing. Region wide issue up there.
    Know the departments very well, not in our MA district, but we have the same issues. A number of years ago, one department was off MA regularly due to staffing, but was abusing the MA system to get resources. The Chief's finally put a stop to it.....basically they provide MA as well or they wouldn't get MA.

Forum Member

Lot of valuable experiences being shared right now. The DJ thread just shot up to a priority read status. Thanks everyone.

Forum Member

Well, reading everyone's comments makes me realize how lucky we are. Our Board does exactly what they are suppose to do, handle the business end of the FD. The operations and need assessments are left up to the Chief and Officers. I do not really ever recall being denied for something we told them we needed. We have had to wait a bit until funds became available, but we get it. We are also the lowest funded department in the County but our Board does an excellent job managing our money. We also set on some money, usually around $30,000. But that is there just in case an emergency comes up such as a damaged pump or blown engine.

One thing we have going for us is we have a fire tax (not as much as some think). Our department receives no funds from the County general budget. In fact the County does not touch our funds. We have our own bank account and pay our own bills. This means we know exactly how much money we have to do whatever.

I am genuinely sorry for what you guys go through and it gets me riled up just reading it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Dusty,

Did you nail that one down! An accurate appraisal of what many departments are going through.

If you do not keep your local government advised to who runs who on a yearly or monthly basis, things can get quickly out of hand. When fire tax dollars are returned to the departments like in our state, they go through our towns budget. Then the town begins to act like it is 'their' active financial support to you. It isn't. The towns real financial support is shown by what they do outside of the fire tax. Do they have a separate budget for your fire department like they do for water, sewer and roads?

Dusty is right, educating the town officials, the community and your department about where the funding is needed and comes from is vital to understanding everyone's side. That goes for the Town officials as well. There may be very valid reasons why monies are handled the way they are, but if no one keeps up with what is happening then you can find later on that even boundaries of authority become hazy and resentments can develop from a lack of understanding.

Dusty, I'm printing off your response and hanging it on the wall of our department.
    Oh, Jam you made me blush. Don't get wrong I am greatful for the monies we get, and yes we should report and actually answer to our communities on how our money is spent. You must be willing to open your books for examination and prove that you have been prudent with how money was spent. Too many times I have departments complain that they have no money but they spend money inappropriately. Just remember also when your talking about taxes this means your's will increase as well. We all like bells and whistles on our fire trucks,, but that doesn't put fires out or extricate people from vehicles. We all need to put ourselves in the tax payers position, are we really spending the money in the best and most efficient ways. Do you need new nozzles or do you want a big screen TV for the lounge? That new fire truck you want, does it need hand painted gold leaf or will computer generated detailing work? Do you really need an AM/FM sterio with a CD player and so one. You get the picture. Unfortunitly we as administrative and operational officers of our departments need to be responsible. These same things apply to the grants as well. We all get confused sometimes between wants and needs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Fortsutphen View Post
    Oh, Jam you made me blush. Don't get wrong I am greatful for the monies we get, and yes we should report and actually answer to our communities on how our money is spent. You must be willing to open your books for examination and prove that you have been prudent with how money was spent. Too many times I have departments complain that they have no money but they spend money inappropriately. Just remember also when your talking about taxes this means your's will increase as well. We all like bells and whistles on our fire trucks,, but that doesn't put fires out or extricate people from vehicles. We all need to put ourselves in the tax payers position, are we really spending the money in the best and most efficient ways. Do you need new nozzles or do you want a big screen TV for the lounge? That new fire truck you want, does it need hand painted gold leaf or will computer generated detailing work? Do you really need an AM/FM sterio with a CD player and so one. You get the picture. Unfortunitly we as administrative and operational officers of our departments need to be responsible. These same things apply to the grants as well. We all get confused sometimes between wants and needs.
    Can this Brother, or Sister get an AMEN from the Congregation??? AMEN

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    Can this Brother, or Sister get an AMEN from the Congregation??? AMEN
    The many voices of experience are all speaking hallowed words of wisdom today. A big AMEN to all of them.

As bc79er pointed out, we need to hear both sides before casting stones at them. Unfortunately, and as I have said in many classes, when the BOD says "no" we are often times so frustrated at the simple word, that we forget to ask the follow-up question that is so important; WHY?

Get that board to committ, on the record, why they can't fund it then get oustide the box and fix their problem for them so they can fix your's.

Grant writing skills should not simply be used for new trucks and gear. If you can find a grant to resolve their problem and lend your skills to that effort, many times the favor is repaid by seeing that money which had been set aside for that other project suddenly turn up in your own budget.

Been there, done that, and have had that suddenly rediscovered funding added to my budget on enough occasions to prove that point folks.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

U make a good point kurt but in our county they don't see it like that, our chief wrote a grant for a brand new Med truck and got it, it was for 100,000 dollars. Right after they got the grant they knocked him out as EMS Director, go figure. There has been some comments made about him being a yankee and stuff like that. We have some real ignorent commisoners, i mean we are talking real ignorent. Its hard to deal with it, but we do the best we can, we have actually talked about getting on the agenda at one of the meetings, takeing our turn out gear into the meeting, throwing it into the floor but i don't think that is going to help none. We have showed them the problems, told them what we need and why we need them, but it gets shot down every time. Unfortanitly we have next to no revenue in our county. A large power plant was sapose to be built but it got shot down by the city councle and the old locals cause they where afraid it would cause to many health problems. But its ok for leaking crop dusters to fly over all our houses and businesses. I'm beginning to think that our county and city is afraid of change and it makes it alot harder on the people who want to see a change. They don't call it the state of baker for nothing lol.

Forum Member

The world changes no matter what we do, so either hop on the train or get run over.

I can see the point about yankees though, they keep going down south, moving in, and never going back.....

Forum Member

shouldnt hold that agenst somebody thats just ignorent redneck town wants to stay in 1950 they need to relise things are changing and when you got somebody that wants to change somtheing they should not hold where he is from agenst him. Took a yankee to fix that department hell the idiot before him had the firefighters fighting grass fires in no shirt jean shorts and flip flops. it wasnt uncommon for them to carry a cooler of beer to a fire also. Got that jackass out and got a new chief that has common sense, I think they don't like that eaither. To many things make to much sense, confuses thoughs small minded people. Very funny on the yankee drop brian lol At one time i heard they county might get split up amongst other counties because baker county is going nowhere fast and its the people running it that are driving it into the ground.... WAIT didn't this forum start off with when the Dear Johns where coming out its amazing what one thread can do lol

Forum Member

Oh brian one more thing its much warmer down here also

Forum Member

Exclamation

The world changes no matter what we do, so either hop on the train or get run over.

I can see the point about yankees though, they keep going down south, moving in, and never going back.....
    Hey, hey watch that Yankee stuff, unless your referring to the New York Yankees. Can you blame some of my northern counterparts for moving your way. Finally got sick of 4 & 5 feet of snow. Who wouldn't want the warm beach, great fishing and awesome duck hunting.

Forum Member

Screw the NY Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Islanders, Knicks, Jets, Giants.

I live in Texas but I'm FROM Philly baby!

And you forgot the part about no state or local income taxes. Paycheck deductions is a really short list compared to when I was "privileged" to be working in Center City for 4% of my pay....

Forum Member

I see we have no DJ'S today. GM's are telling thses guys what they want to hear to get them off the phone.

MembersZone Subscriber

The lack of communication from AFG this year is appalling! Treating us like 2 year olds here.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 04-02-2010 at 03:19 PM.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

And you forgot the part about no state or local income taxes. Paycheck deductions is a really short list compared to when I was "privileged" to be working in Center City for 4% of my pay....
    GO PHILLIES!!!

Will be in DC monday for the season opener.
    Bus trip of all cops and firemen. Gonna boo Obama and throw beer cans at fema building while i'm there. lol

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm guessing they got sick of the phone calls. Just recieved the following email....

Dear Assistant to Firefighters Grant Program Applicant:

With the FY 2010 Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) application period approaching, the AFG Program Office is aware some applicants are concerned about the disposition of their FY 2009 AFG application. We want to assure you that FY 2009 AFG turndown notices are being processed and are forthcoming. If your FY 2009 AFG application did not score in the competitive range, you will receive the turndown notice in ample time to adjust and strengthen your FY 2010 AFG application. The work you did to support your 2009 application can still be a useful resource for FY 2010 requests for assistance your department may submit.

Your continued interest in this program clearly demonstrates the need and resourcefulness of America's fire service. The Department of Homeland Security will continue to work closely with fire service organizations to support the vital work of our nation's firefighters.

Thank you again for your dedication and commitment.
    AFG Program Office

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    The lack of communication from AFG this year is appalling! Treating us like 2 year olds here.

Funny you said that! I just got the following email:

Dear Assistant to Firefighters Grant Program Applicant:

With the FY 2010 Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) application period approaching, the AFG Program Office is aware some applicants are concerned about the disposition of their FY 2009 AFG application. We want to assure you that FY 2009 AFG turndown notices are being processed and are forthcoming. If your FY 2009 AFG application did not score in the competitive range, you will receive the turndown notice in ample time to adjust and strengthen your FY 2010 AFG application. The work you did to support your 2009 application can still be a useful resource for FY 2010 requests for assistance your department may submit.

Your continued interest in this program clearly demonstrates the need and resourcefulness of America's fire service. The Department of Homeland Security will continue to work closely with fire service organizations to support the vital work of our nation's firefighters.

Thank you again for your dedication and commitment.

AFG Program Office

MembersZone Subscriber

Uh, looks like the same email.

The telling thing - is this is only for computer DJ's. Are they now saying they won't have all the DJ's done?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Uh, looks like the same email.
    Catch beat me to it by a half second or so!.......

Forum Member

Exclamation DJ Email

I got the same email but it came to the email that I have subscribed to for info from AFG...It would be nice to know the status of our current grant so we all know if we need to revise our grant for 2010

Forum Member

You forgot, NO Sin Taxes either.

Does Texas still allow open containers in vehicles? It used to be the driver could have a beer in his hand while driving, just as long as he was not over the limit so to speak.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    You forgot, NO Sin Taxes either.

Does Texas still allow open containers in vehicles? It used to be the driver could have a beer in his hand while driving, just as long as he was not over the limit so to speak.
    The 6 pack is right next to the 6 shooter.

Forum Member

No open containers on the driver that I'm sure of. Nothing in the front seat at all, can't remember if it's the whole vehicle now. Used to be open containers allowed in the back seat but I think that finally got closed up.

Real estate taxes are higher in percentage but evens out with lower cost of living. I don't mind consumption type taxes since I get the money first and can choose what to do with it versus the string of deductions I used to see on the paycheck. Payday was supposed to be happy and got real depressing once I had to read 7 columns over to find how much I got after everyone else's fingers got into it....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I'm guessing they got sick of the phone calls. Just recieved the following email....
    Yep had no sooner posted and that email arrived. The key operative word I see in the email though is "ample" time to adjust. With the timing of this email I'll take a wild shot at this in assuming ( and we all know about that word) and say that computer DJs are going to drop on Monday, 1 week prior to scheduled opening of 2010.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Yep had no sooner posted and that email arrived. The key operative word I see in the email though is "ample" time to adjust. With the timing of this email I'll take a wild shot at this in assuming ( and we all know about that word) and say that computer DJs are going to drop on Monday, 1 week prior to scheduled opening of 2010.
    Now the shoe drops.

Got back from Hawaii just in time to contact AFG I see.

Thread Information