Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DJ's

Forum Member

Default DJ's

thought I would bring this back up, anybody heard anything on the bad news letters yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

No news is good news

Forum Member

Just got off the phone with my regional rep and was told that they are hoping to get the dj's out next week. At least that is the plan. The aplication date for 2010 has been set back to April 5th. And that they are looking at starting the 2010 safer application period sometime in June.
    Also if your like me and have a reduction, but no other information, still keep it as a very good sign. They are also suppose to start hitting the questions and notifications hard either next week or the week after. I was told to please bear with them as they are working around major computer problems this year. I hope that this helps everybody out. He told me that this was the information that was given to him in a meeting yesterday.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtndew21 View Post
    No news is good news
    Unfortunately while I would love to agree that "no news is good news", in the context of this program its not true. For most applicants no news is just that, no news. Most of us were kicked out by the computer months ago, and stand no chance of getting an award. The program would do far better to let non-competitive applicants know as soon as possible so they can start looking at other ways of solving their problems.

We have a tanker app in, and recently the frame on one of our decrepit tankers failed. We had to cobble together another homemade, non-NFPA compliant tanker to replace it. (No disrespect to my co-worker who put the "new" rig together- he did an excellent job on the low budget we had.) Now we are stalling on doing the same with our other failing rig as long as possible while we wait for news from AFG. Most likely we are out of the running, and have been for months. It would be nice to know that so we can make informed decisions on what to do.

Forum Member

Cornwallfire, I know how ya feal man, we got one tanker that we took out of service, the top of the tank is rusted out the seal around it is all dry rotted, all the pluming on the back is shot and the pump motor is shot. This is one of our front line tankers, oh and the frame is rusted out, the tank looks like it is going to just fall off the fram lol. Out other front line tanker the seat belts dont work, the power stearing dont work, the back axles pop and creek, the pump is about shot and the tank is slowly rusting. We are in the same boat brother we need somthing bad. I will have to agree with you it would be nice if we got kicked out by the computer early in this game that way we can look back over our old grant and see what we got wrong, but hey thats the way the government works.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cornwallfire View Post
    Unfortunately while I would love to agree that "no news is good news", in the context of this program its not true. For most applicants no news is just that, no news. Most of us were kicked out by the computer months ago, and stand no chance of getting an award. The program would do far better to let non-competitive applicants know as soon as possible so they can start looking at other ways of solving their problems.

We have a tanker app in, and recently the frame on one of our decrepit tankers failed. We had to cobble together another homemade, non-NFPA compliant tanker to replace it. (No disrespect to my co-worker who put the "new" rig together- he did an excellent job on the low budget we had.) Now we are stalling on doing the same with our other failing rig as long as possible while we wait for news from AFG. Most likely we are out of the running, and have been for months. It would be nice to know that so we can make informed decisions on what to do.
    I have to agree with the DJs during computer review. I'm curious if anyone has ever been DJ'd by the computer to end up funded later on. If they did it would have to be rare.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    I have to agree with the DJs during computer review. I'm curious if anyone has ever been DJ'd by the computer to end up funded later on. If they did it would have to be rare.
    Yes, it has happened. A number of years ago some departments recieved computer DJ's in error. Once corrected and PRed some were eventually funded.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigFD14 View Post
    Cornwallfire, I know how ya feal man, we got one tanker that we took out of service, the top of the tank is rusted out the seal around it is all dry rotted, all the pluming on the back is shot and the pump motor is shot. This is one of our front line tankers, oh and the frame is rusted out, the tank looks like it is going to just fall off the fram lol. Out other front line tanker the seat belts dont work, the power stearing dont work, the back axles pop and creek, the pump is about shot and the tank is slowly rusting. We are in the same boat brother we need somthing bad. I will have to agree with you it would be nice if we got kicked out by the computer early in this game that way we can look back over our old grant and see what we got wrong, but hey thats the way the government works.
    I really don't know how some of you small departments do it sometimes. Kudos to you.

Forum Member

how do u know if u got a computer dj by error bugle

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyMan29 View Post
    how do u know if u got a computer dj by error bugle
    I believe at that time some departments questioned why they had recieved a computer DJ on their PPE or SCBA projects believing their data, stats etc. should have sent them to PR. For lack of a better term, a glitch occurred, sending a computer DJ vs. sending them on to PR. AFG reviewed the computer DJ's and corrected the error. Very few went on to an award with the rest just recieving PR review DJ's.

Forum Member

Those were the 2008s that were awarded in July-August 2009. They discovered a scoring error that when correct should have sent a pile of apps to Peer instead of some that did go. So to make it right they had those reviewed and scored at the 2009 AFG Peer Review, which is why they had to schedule another one for 2009 AFG Reviews in September. We had 12 end up getting awarded that way, which semi-sucked because we had already blown the 2009 on the resubmit. But in the end it was made right so can't complain too much about it.

And I agree the CDJs should have been dumped a while ago. Since they read twice as many apps as they have money no CDJs will come back for funding barring an initial scoring error like last year. Since that was already fixed and double checked prior to anything 2009 AFG-related starting don't see that happening again. So CDJs aren't getting money no matter what, drop the guillotine already on those so we can get some work done!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Those were the 2008s that were awarded in July-August 2009. They discovered a scoring error that when correct should have sent a pile of apps to Peer instead of some that did go. So to make it right they had those reviewed and scored at the 2009 AFG Peer Review, which is why they had to schedule another one for 2009 AFG Reviews in September. We had 12 end up getting awarded that way, which semi-sucked because we had already blown the 2009 on the resubmit. But in the end it was made right so can't complain too much about it.

And I agree the CDJs should have been dumped a while ago. Since they read twice as many apps as they have money no CDJs will come back for funding barring an initial scoring error like last year. Since that was already fixed and double checked prior to anything 2009 AFG-related starting don't see that happening again. So CDJs aren't getting money no matter what, drop the guillotine already on those so we can get some work done!
    Absolutely G.D. RIGHT!

Forum Member

Tell us how you really feel Jim.

I shouldn't talk about getting work done, been doing apps for new folks and awarded repeats for a month. All reductions and 1199As will see 2009 money so no sense waiting and wasting a nice 70 degree, no wind, sunny day on golfing when I could be sitting here at the computer getting work done....

Forum Member

Golfing, It was a inspection concerning the use of water to prevent the wildland urban interface from encroaching upon the XXXXclubhouseXXXX, I mean the headquarters building. A full week of 75 degree plus weather, could mean a couple of days worth of inspections.

Forum Member

Well you have to check every hole, make sure there aren't any wildland creatures or insects causing soil issues that would contribute to a WUI incident getting out of hand...

Forum Member

Default DJ release

Was just told that the DJ's will be out this week. I am very surprised as to what some have wrote on here that they have not been funded. The program needs an overhaul and needs to somehow be less competetive for volunteer fire departments. I feel that they get the short end of the stick being placed against the larger departements of the country.

Forum Member

Looking at the stats more VFDs get money than any other category. There's just more of them. Usually comes down to calls and population as the main comparisons, larger population covered with more calls needs the same thing more than someone with smaller numbers since they'll be at risk more often. Doesn't minimize anyone else's risks, but money goes where the needs are more demonstratable. Doesn't need an overhaul, but a tweak here and there wouldn't hurt. All programs need that.

Quote Originally Posted by TSU1 View Post
    Was just told that the DJ's will be out this week. I am very surprised as to what some have wrote on here that they have not been funded. The program needs an overhaul and needs to somehow be less competetive for volunteer fire departments. I feel that they get the short end of the stick being placed against the larger departements of the country.
    TSU1 the program is always undergoing an overhaul; things change every year. As far as competitive, it is very simple, if you have need, you can get funded. Now notice I said you CAN get funded not that you will just be handed an award. There is only so much money in the program yearly and believe me, volunteer and small departments get awarded just as many grants as the big boys; its mandated by law.

If you are failing at this program it is because you either are not expressing your need correctly or you are asking for the wrong things with out proper justification. Do yourself and your department a favor, get with me or some of the other informed people in here and get educated as to what you need to do to gain an award for your department. We are here to help. Stop wasting time "complaining" that you are not winning and start finding out "why" you are not winning.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

I do believe if i remember correctly (been sometime ago) i had someone who had been to a seminar of yours look at our narrative and there comment was...should be no problem getting an award....Very Justifiable. I can send you a copy of our narrative if you would like....i know it is a little late now....

[QUOTE=TSU1;1162803]I do believe if i remember correctly (been sometime ago) i had someone who had been to a seminar of yours look at our narrative and there comment was...should be no problem getting an award....Very Justifiable. I can send you a copy of our narrative if you would like....i know it is a little late now....[/QUOTE
    Glad to take a looksee for you. kurt.bradley@hdgrants.com
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information