Thread: Henderson, NV

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Henderson, NV

Just curious if anyone out there from NV knows if it is worth my time to fly to Henderson for their testing process. I live in MI, so i dont know the job oppurtunities out there. Are they hiring or just making a list?

Forum Member

Also does anyone know if they are hiring FF/EMTs or FF/medics?

Forum Member

READ THIS WELL................

Career Opportunities

Job Title: Fire Fighter/Paramedic (56-hour workweek)

Closing Date/Time: Thu. 04/01/10 3:00 PM Pacific Time

Salary: $20.88 - $30.85 Hourly
    $60,802.56 - $89,835.20 Annually

Job Type: Full Time

Print Job Information | Apply

Description Benefits Supplemental Questions

Under general supervision, performs work of moderate difficulty related to Advanced Life Support, Fire Rescue Operations, and Fire Prevention; and performs related duties as assigned.

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
    Education, Training, and Work Experience

Graduation from high school or the equivalent. Must be 18 years of age at time of the written examination for this classification.

United States Citizenship is highly desirable.

Special Licenses and Certificates

Must possess valid driver’s license from state of residence at time of appointment and maintain an excellent driving record. Must possess a current certificate as a Paramedic at time of application.

Special Requirements

1. Must pass a four (4) week Medical Academy.

2. Must obtain a Southern Nevada Health District Paramedic Provisional Licensure PRIOR to beginning the Paramedic Internship.

3. Must successfully complete the Henderson Fire Department Paramedic Internship within the time limits established by the department as a condition of continued employment.

4. Must successfully complete Firefighter cadet academy (held after Paramedic Internship) within time limits established by the department as a condition of continued employment, to include obtaining a State of Nevada Fire Fighter II Certificate.

NOTE: A modified academy may be available for applicants that possess previous/current firefighting experience. Acceptance for a modified academy will be evaluated by the Henderson Fire Department on a case-by-case basis at the time of appointment. The City of Henderson shall have the sole discretion and authority to determine the level of training needed for a new hire which may include a modified or full academy.

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS/ASSESSMENT INFORMATION:
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:
    1) Completed Employment Application
    2) Completed Supplemental Questionnaire
    3) Current Paramedic Certificate (Please attach your certificate to the "attachments section" of your online application or fax to (702) 267-1901 - Attn: Diana Cox)

OTHER REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
    Candidates invited to the written examination portion of the assessment process must present a valid picture ID such as a driver's license or state identification card and evidence of current Paramedic Certification at the written examination check-in.

ASSESSMENT DATES:
    Written Examination (30%)……Saturday, April 17, 2010

Oral Review Board (70%)……..Monday, April 19, 2010 through Thursday, April 22, 2010, or as needed; scheduling preference will be given to out-of-town candidates. Top candidates from the Oral Review Board will move forward to the Selection Interview process.

Selection Interview………Out-of-Town Candidates only, immediately following successful completion of Oral Review Board.
    Selection Interview……..In-Town Candidates will be notified of their Selection Interview date.

WRITTEN EXAMINATION
    Candidates will be tested for knowledge in the following areas: Reading, Math, Map Reading, Writing and Interpersonal Skills; Paramedic section will test for information contained in Brady's Paramedic Care: Principles and Practices - Medical Emergencies, Trauma Emergencies, and Advanced Prehospital Care.

Candidates will obtain their written examination results on Saturday, April 17, 2010 at the Fire Training Center.

CPAT
    Candidates who hold a current and valid Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) card issued by a licensed agency or confirmation of successful testing for CPAT on licensed agency letterhead, issued no more than 12 months prior to application date, will not be required to take the CPAT. Verification of original certification or letter will be required at written examination check-in.

CPAT ORIENTATION, PRACTICE and TEST DATES:
    Orientation and Practice Sessions are required to be offered but participation may be waived by a candidate by signing a waiver form at the written exam. (See http://www.hendersonfireonline.com for CPAT Candidate Preparation Guide)

CPAT Orientation.... Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 9:00 am and 11:00 am
    CPAT Practice Sessions....Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 9:00 am and 11:00 am
    Official CPAT Test Date (Pass/Fail)…Tuesday, May 11, 2010

THE WRITTEN EXAMINATION, ORAL AND SELECTION INTERVIEWS, CPAT ORIENTATION, CPAT PRACTICE SESSION AND CPAT EXAMINATION WILL BE HELD AT:

CITY OF HENDERSON FIRE TRAINING CENTER
    401 PARKSON ROAD (OFF WARM SPRINGS RD, BETWEEN GIBSON AND BOULDER HIGHWAY)
    HENDERSON, NEVADA 89002.

SELECTION PROCESS:
    The selection process will consist of an employment application package screening. The best qualified candidates will be invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, or oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment. Appointment is subject to successful completion of Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT), background investigation, psychological evaluation, physical examination and a City-paid drug and alcohol test. The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. For more information about the City of Henderson Fire Department, please go to www.cityofhenderson.com/fire.

All applicants will be notified via e-mail of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement.

Forum Member

Its a great department, my cousin works for them.

I heard from a HFD Captain that they are looking to fill 11 FF/Medic positions. He said that if they weren't able to fill those with medics then they would look for FF/EMT's. However, he said the last time he checked they had around 100 applicants so I doubt they will have a hard time filling the positions.

Henderson FD is well known around the city of Las Vegas to have some of the best medics with the toughest internship. I have heard of several people failing their internship and being forced out.

Since they were failing so many during the internship, they are now requiring it to be completed prior to the academy.

If you are a medic I would seriously consider applying, you should have a good shot with only around 100 or so currently applying.

Good luck!

Forum Member

I tested in Henderson last time they tested and then died on the list as an alternate. Their process is great and very streamlined, especially for out of town testers. Make sure you have your NREMT-B or you won't even get in the door. They give you your results the same day as the written and if you are out of town you get your interview immediately. If you can show a CPAT from a licensed facility (at the time I think it might have been only CA/NV that they) accepted you don't have to retake with them. Not sure what their financial situation is now, but it is a good department, good city and probably one of the best testing processes you'll get as an out of towner.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

i didnt see anything about national registry. sadly i let mine expire which i have to get back. i am medic, and i thought that my mi license was enough. i have cpat certified as well. i guess i will call them back tmrw

Forum Member

If you have a medic in another state, I would think you would be ok. They offer a separate test for the medics and hire medics like mofos. At least they used to. I would think as long as you could get NV reciprocity for your medic credentials you would be ok. I imagine they'd be more likely to take a chance on an out of state medic than an EMT but I can't speak for the department. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

anyone else heading out there?

Forum Member

Hey wolf I'll be out there. Just started studying my Brady book again trying to prepare for the test. Wondering if they are going to have a skills assessment. Anyhow good luck to all who will be there testing!

Forum Member

I'll be there. Im coming from Missouri. I wish I knew how many applications were taken.

Forum Member

So how does everyone feel about the testing/interview process now that it's complete? Good luck to those waiting on resluts!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey BVFD, not to be negative but I would put some serious thought into moving here in Vegas. I'm not sure you are aware of the financial/economical crisis going on here now. Many of the Departments are fighting to keep jobs, let alone hire. HFD is the one exception( atleast for now). Like I said, I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. A good place to look for better employment oppurtunities is Texas, as well as some of the Southeatern States. There seems to be more hiring going on there. Best of luck to you though!!

Well best wishes to all who are in the process with HFD.

Forum Member

Wish i was a medic bc i would of been out there in a heartbeat. i will be moving to henderson in the beginning of 2011 shortly after new years. im an emt-b but not in the national registry anyways best of luck to those who took the test hopefully i will be joining you in the near future wether it be HFD or LVFD or NLVFD or even the county fire department. once again good luck guys

MembersZone Subscriber

Henderson started calling people and offering jobs

Forum Member

Hey Arnold you know when they started calling? Man good luck to whoevers gettin calls that's a great department

MembersZone Subscriber

some recieved calls friday afternoon,, should be more calls early next week starting monday. goodluck to all

Forum Member

Anyone get a call?

Forum Member

I've heard from candidates in the process that conditional job offers are out to hire 10 pending psych/medical/backgrounds, etc.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information