Thread: rescue

Forum Member

Default rescue

What are the chances of a rescue being funden in a rural area? I don't want to wast my time if there is no hope. 20 + year old truck and we run 90 % of the county.
    God made firefighters so cops can have a hero

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 72firedog View Post
    What are the chances of a rescue being funden in a rural area? I don't want to wast my time if there is no hope. 20 + year old truck and we run 90 % of the county.
    As a rural area you will have "0" chance of being successful for a rescue as it is a Priority 2 vehicle which are very rarely funded in any of the classifications.

Not all is lost though. Not knowing what you have for a rescue or other needs, you could apply for a quick attack or brush truck with a rescue type body (you wouldn't call it that though) that could meet the "rescue" component by providing a vehicle with more versatility.

Forum Member

Or buy a rescue body pumper so you have the deep compartment space you need. And will also have pump/tank.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    Or buy a rescue body pumper so you have the deep compartment space you need. And will also have pump/tank.
    This is what my department is planning on doing. We want a rescue style pumper so that we can store more rescue equipment but still have a pump and tank. We cover many highways, including a section of the Ohio Turnpike so the rescue design will work best for us. This truck will still respond on all fires just like the one we'd be replacing. Our average fleet age is over 18 years old.

The question I have is, do we need to specify that the truck will have a rescue style body? We want the pump panel to be on the right, rear compartment so that our pump operator is out of the lanes of traffic on MVA's and it makes it safer for our personnel. We also want a 500 gal tank with CAFS and a 2000 gpm pump. Will it be too restrictive in the application to specify the rescue style body and the pump panel location? Do you think it will get our narrative kicked out? Should I just specify that we want a pumper in general with the generic information just so we aren't being too specific and then spec the truck out accordingly if we get awarded? Any input is greatly appreciated!!
    Last edited by volff1170; 03-29-2010 at 12:46 AM.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by volff1170 View Post
    This is what my department is planning on doing. We want a rescue style pumper so that we can store more rescue equipment but still have a pump and tank. We cover many highways, including a section of the Ohio Turnpike so the rescue design will work best for us. This truck will still respond on all fires just like the one we'd be replacing. Our average fleet age is over 18 years old.

The question I have is, do we need to specify that the truck will have a rescue style body? We want the pump panel to be on the right, rear compartment so that our pump operator is out of the lanes of traffic on MVA's and it makes it safer for our personnel. We also want a 500 gal tank with CAFS and a 2000 gpm pump. Will it be too restrictive in the application to specify the rescue style body and the pump panel location? Do you think it will get our narrative kicked out? Should I just specify that we want a pumper in general with the generic information just so we aren't being too specific and then spec the truck out accordingly if we get awarded? Any input is greatly appreciated!!
    Only part of the required info is based on fleet age. How many other vehicles do you have in that classification? [pumpers]. How old are they? How many responses are you making each year. How you score on the computer with be weighted by those answers. There is no check box for rescue pumper.
    It would be important to explain in the narrative that your intended use for this vehicle will be to improve responders safety on calls requiring you to work on the interstate.

Forum Member

TShould I just specify that we want a pumper in general with the generic information just so we aren't being too specific and then spec the truck out accordingly if we get awarded?
    Once you are awarded, you can deck the thing out however you want. It may help your case to discuss your plans to the peers so that they have an understanding of multi-tasking your unit, but by no means do you have to discuss it.

Forum Member

You're talking about a full custom unit. One a commercial chassis at least $350-400k. A bit of a stretch for FG. The Rescue body is the least expensive item listed. FG $ are better suited for a program pumper that will "by the way" fill in as a rescue.

For example a 2Dr pumper (a program truck) might be $165k. A rescue body $190 Topmount +$5k, 1500gpm +$5k, dealer installed CAFS +$40-50k. Would typically be 1000gal and 1250pump.

For right side rear pump panel (mainline/custom unit) a commercial cab from major mfg is to start at $300. If you want midship pump with operator panel in R3 area that means electric valves. LOTS of moola. Likely would be less expensive to go with a rear mount and get a better end result. Then add in CAFS

I don't think to hard a sell required on the CAFS, maybe not hard to safety sell a rear mount. Expense for compartment space of a rescue body? Talk about how many ft3 of equipment you need to carry, moving from two vehicles to one?

Thread Information