Forum Member

Default A Bad discharge and the Fire Service..

Hello Friends!

I'm a Firefighter/EMT for about 4 yrs now (12 yr EMT) and love love love the job. Recently I have had to move to another state (TX) and am looking to test at some departments. I have a Bad Conduct discharge from the Navy, oh about 22 years ago (a lifetime ago). My record is clean besides that damn discharge. I have been looking into different departments and some won't even touch you with that kind of discharge and others say "in the past 5 yrs". And some say nothing at all. It just sickens me. I need a reality check! What are my odds? My time in the service (3yrs) was great until I decided to go party for a month. (bang bang bang, that's me hitting my head against the wall). There's nothing I can do about my discharge now. Just hope, by the grace of God that I can continue my service as a Firefighter. I just got all my certs in line (TCFP structure/EMT) for TX. And am putting in apps. Thanks for your time!!
    Last edited by Alritythen; 03-28-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Forum Member

Default Bad Conduct

Just my two cents...You have a chance. If there is a test and they are giving Vets extra points....your screwed. If you go to your Oral and there are Vets on the panel....your screwed. Overall you are starting with a disadvantage albeit still possible to be hired as a Firefighter. You have a dream and you need to go for it and let "Them" tell you yes or no.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Being it was that long ago and you have kept your nose clean, you may get hired, however I hope you understand that they are going to take other, more qualified honorably discharged vets ahead of you, as well as other more qualified non-vets of the same level of training and experience. And as you probably know, competition for career firefighting jobs is like Gladiators fighting in the Colliseum in ancient Rome....So in other words, don't hold your breath on getting hired.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

You say it the Bad Conduct discharge happened 22 years ago, how old are you? Most of the civil service F.D. job postings in Texas usually state that they won't accept applications from people who are 35 years old or older. So if your over 35, you might be screwed out of ever getting on with a civil service F.D. I have heard of people getting hired onto some great non-civil service F.D.'s who were well into their mid-40's.
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

Forum Member

I've been told that if you are a "Ladderal" age is not an issue for alot of the departments. Thanks for the reply brother.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pewter98 View Post
    You say it the Bad Conduct discharge happened 22 years ago, how old are you? Most of the civil service F.D. job postings in Texas usually state that they won't accept applications from people who are 35 years old or older. So if your over 35, you might be screwed out of ever getting on with a civil service F.D. I have heard of people getting hired onto some great non-civil service F.D.'s who were well into their mid-40's.
    This is a good point. However that 4 years of expirance depending on which department is going to make that age limit 39.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Default Military Discharge

Quote Originally Posted by Alritythen View Post
    Hello Friends!

There's nothing I can do about my discharge now. Just hope, by the grace of God that I can continue my service as a Firefighter. I just got all my certs in line (TCFP structure/EMT) for TX. And am putting in apps. Thanks for your time!!
    Military Discharge
    Many candidates who received a less than honorable discharge from the military have been able to have their DD214 changed to honorable with the help of Veterans Affairs and advocate groups in their area. Not an attorney or the Veterans Administration. You have to be 6 months to one year free from any other violations.

I talked to several candidates who straightened out their lives like you have and took advantage of this opportunity.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alritythen View Post
    I've been told that if you are a "Ladderal" age is not an issue for alot of the departments. Thanks for the reply brother.
    Whichever F.D.'s you decide to test with, be sure to first find out if those departments have a policy on age limits and "Ladderal" hiring. Similar to your situation, I have seen F.D. job postings on TCFP where they would ONLY accept applicants who had "X" years of experience as a paid firefighter.

Like Tipsy said, some departments will take into account your 4 years of experience and raise the age limit, others will not. It would be a pretty big waste to have to take time off from your current job, travel for the test, only to be DQed due to your age. I've seen that happen to a couple of people back when I was testing.
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

Forum Member

Thankyou sir, I'll do that..

Forum Member

I have heard of people going from a Bad Conduct Discharge, or Other Then Honorable Discharge to a General Discharge but not an Honorable Discharge. Unfortunately in your case it might be even harder to get the BCD wiped away because the Navy Discharge Review Board does not look at cases over 15 years old. Worth a shot though I guess, worst case is that they will tell you no .

Forum Member

Thanks for all the responses.... Its strange that they can discriminate because of age... I'm in the best shape of my life right now. I smoked most of the younger guys in my last dept. Did the Seattle Stair Climb 08' 09' and I am a damn good Firefighter/EMT I (if I may say so myself). I know they say it's a retirement thing, bla bla bla. I have my retirement all figured out. I just want to continue doing what I love.. I'm trying not to get to down about it. My wife is pushing me to continue....so I will! )
    Last edited by Alritythen; 03-29-2010 at 09:38 AM.

Forum Member

When the HR department is receiving and then reviewing the applications and see under military experience a BCD, UDD, un-desirable discharge, or under arrests, excessive amounts, etc, the application is laid to the side. Later the Director or person in charge of the HR recruiting will look at these applications and make a decision.

Usually the decision isn't what the applicant wants. The application is thrown out.

There are too many Veterans who have Honorable Discharges who are looking for jobs, for the HR to consider a guy with anything other than an Honorable!!

As far as an age cut off this is usually due to the retirement plan of 20 or 25 years.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Default bad discharge -overseas work

I am x-fire,left the fire service as DC responsible for prevention and investigation.

Moved overseas in 1985, all of my fire service training especially NFPA codes and standards landed me a position as the NFPA advisor to the Bangkok Metro, next came the Bangkok underground, NFPA and security advisor the the Taiwan High Speed rail project and finally Dubai Metro. 24 years overseas and just returned to the USA. Now learning how to be an American again

Point---there is lots of work overseas if you want to take the chance and see the world like I did

Forum Member

You have a BCD for a reason. Therefore we don't want you for the same reason!

Thread Information