Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nfpa 1002

Forum Member

Default Nfpa 1002

I am sitting on a ptoential pumper award and am getting all of my paperwork together. Does anyone know exactly what must happen under NFPA 1002? I used the search tool but none of the posts answered my question. We have a driver training program in which we have our own EVOC course on a few side roads. But what are considered the minimums, and where does the firefighter health fit in?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by drakescrossing View Post
    I am sitting on a ptoential pumper award and am getting all of my paperwork together. Does anyone know exactly what must happen under NFPA 1002? I used the search tool but none of the posts answered my question. We have a driver training program in which we have our own EVOC course on a few side roads. But what are considered the minimums, and where does the firefighter health fit in?
    I was told that by our SFM training officer that EMTs can do a baseline, but actually he may have known less than I do about the 1002. Having physicals done at a departments expense can get to be expensive.

I just now called our president of our mutual aid associaton who informed me that they were not required to have any health checks done with their vehicle award.

Forum Member

so, we dont have to do health screens?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by drakescrossing View Post
    so, we dont have to do health screens?
    NFPA 1002 will give you the minimums for driver/operators. An EVOC course will fill most of the requirements. The driver/operator must also fullfill the requirements for each type of apparatus that they will drive and operate as well.

As for medical sreenings.....Chapter 1 references period medical screening based on NFPA 1500 Chapter 10.1. It's there to determine that a firefighter is fit to drive/operate apparatus.

Just an FYI: You can view (only) all NFPA standards on-line for free.
    Last edited by onebugle; 03-29-2010 at 02:26 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber lfdmichael's Avatar

Default sitting on a potential award?

Does that mean you have a reduction and or 1199 #?

I was pretty sure you had to have a NFPA compliant drivers program that included full blown NFPA physicals to score good enough for a vehicle award.

Anyone out there get awarded a vehicle in the last 2 years that didn't have a NFPA compliant drivers program including compliant physicals?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lfdmichael View Post
    Does that mean you have a reduction and or 1199 #?

I was pretty sure you had to have a NFPA compliant drivers program that included full blown NFPA physicals to score good enough for a vehicle award.

Anyone out there get awarded a vehicle in the last 2 years that didn't have a NFPA compliant drivers program including compliant physicals?
    Yeah I would like to know that too. Are the medical requirements being determined by the federal standard, state fire marshal or individual departments. Hearing conflicting responses.

Forum Member

have an 1199. Per FAQ:

If you do not have an established driver training program or do not have a plan to obtain the training through this grant program or some other source, your application is not eligible for funding.

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Yeah I would like to know that too. Are the medical requirements being determined by the federal standard, state fire marshal or individual departments. Hearing conflicting responses.
    Jim we applied for funding for nfpa compliant physicals in our SAFER grant last year,Everything else except the physicals was funded.?????? that funding was cut.

To have a full to the letter nfpa physical is similar to a flight physical. Expensive $$$$
    We have our folks go to a local occupational health service for a physical and health screening which includes fit testing and screening for resp issues to be able to wear airpacks.

MembersZone Subscriber lfdmichael's Avatar

Default entire question and answer from 2009 FAQ, crystal clear to me

Vehicle awards require a formal driver/operator training program. What is included in a formal driver/operator training program?

A comprehensive driver training program includes not only instruction on driving and/or operating a particular vehicle but also instruction on appropriate preventative maintenance. If you request a vehicle, you must certify personnel who will drive and operate the requested vehicle meet or exceed the national standards for drivers/operators (fire vehicles NFPA 1002, EMS DOT or KKK standards). Be advised that NFPA 1002 requires drivers pass physicals meeting NFPA 1582 as well as the training requirements of NFPA 1001. This training can be accomplished through an established in-house training program or with grant funds added to the vehicle request. If you do not have an established driver training program or do not have a plan to obtain the training through this grant program or some other source, your application is not eligible for funding.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    NFPA 1002 will give you the minimums for driver/operators. An EVOC course will fill most of the requirements. The driver/operator must also fullfill the requirements for each type of apparatus that they will drive and operate as well.

As for medical sreenings.....Chapter 1 references period medical screening based on NFPA 1500 Chapter 10.1. It's there to determine that a firefighter is fit to drive/operate apparatus.

Just an FYI: You can view (only) all NFPA standards on-line for free.
    Do you have a link where the NFPA standards can be viewed? We have gotten 10qs but don't have a program in place yet. What I understand is that we agree to have one in place within one year of award (it was one of the questions)
    Last edited by Spot79; 04-01-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: additional response

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Spot79 View Post
    Do you have a link where the NFPA standards can be viewed? We have gotten 10qs but don't have a program in place yet. What I understand is that we agree to have one in place within one year of award (it was one of the questions)
    You can view NFPA Standards for free.

Go to:

http://www.nfpa.org/

Click on Sign-in

Click on Create Account

Provide an email address & password.

Forum Member

Default What about ambulance services??

As most of you know, our ambulance company just got the ambulance through AFG.

We have our own driver training program, but I'm not sure if it will meet AFG requirements. Does every driver have to have a physical per the NFPA requirements (because those seem only to apply to fire departments)? Thanks.

"A comprehensive driver training program includes not only instruction on driving and/or operating a particular vehicle but also instruction on appropriate preventative maintenance. If you request a vehicle, you must certify personnel who will drive and operate the requested vehicle meet or exceed the national standards for drivers/operators (fire vehicles NFPA 1002, EMS DOT or KKK standards). Be advised that NFPA 1002 requires drivers pass physicals meeting NFPA 1582 as well as the training requirements of NFPA 1001."

Talking

A very comprehensive driver training and certification program is offered by VFIS.
    www.VFIS.com

It's available free to their insured departments and for a nominal cost to others. It includes both classroom education component and a driving qualification course. You should also have a class on your individual states motor vehicle laws as they apply to emergency vehicle operations. We are required to have AVOC & Evoc courses in addition to doing the VFIS program annually at our department.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    A very comprehensive driver training and certification program is offered by VFIS.
    www.VFIS.com

It's available free to their insured departments and for a nominal cost to others. It includes both classroom education component and a driving qualification course. You should also have a class on your individual states motor vehicle laws as they apply to emergency vehicle operations. We are required to have AVOC & Evoc courses in addition to doing the VFIS program annually at our department.
    Online classes are $60-100.

Emergency Vehicle Driver Training Kit 2008 Version. The Emergency Vehicle Driver Training Kit is not available to purchase separately, however, it is available as a seminar...VFIS Insured--Receive 1 Complimentary
    Non VFIS Insured--Class Only, 1st @ $499/2nd & 3rd @ $199 each

Might be worth the $ but I'd call those pretty expensive, not nominal.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    Online classes are $60-100.

Emergency Vehicle Driver Training Kit 2008 Version. The Emergency Vehicle Driver Training Kit is not available to purchase separately, however, it is available as a seminar...VFIS Insured--Receive 1 Complimentary
    Non VFIS Insured--Class Only, 1st @ $499/2nd & 3rd @ $199 each

Might be worth the $ but I'd call those pretty expensive, not nominal.
    They have changed their policy & prices recently. Used to be you could buy the program kit for 695. We get it included as insureds . Those classes are for train the trainer seminars.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a recommendation, but if you are even planning an apparatus grant, I'd seriously consider just purchasing 1002 and 1901. 1002 is $37.00 for non-members, and 1901 is $47.50

Both are cheap enough the department should be able to afford them, and they make good references for the future if you are awarded the grant.

Thread Information