Forum Member

Default Looking for some information

Hello all,

I am looking to become a DOD firefighter. What do I need to do to get myself qualified? Basically, I have been serving in the active duty Army as an Infantryman for almost 9 years, so I have no training in the field. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

Forum Member

The search feature is your friend. There are many threads on this very topic.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Bear with me I'm new here, and I'm not exactly computer savvy. I don't know very much about the technicalities of the field, as I've been a grunt since I was 18.
    Last edited by mace2364; 03-30-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Forum Member

More specifically, I am currently serving in Afghanistan, so are there any of the required courses that I can, or should, take online? My enlistment is up in November, and I am trying to get as much done as possible now, before I come home from here.

Forum Member

with no firefighting background your chances of going federal ar slim.

Suggest you apply to city departments

what state do you think you will live in???

you need to find out what certifications that state requires, and go from there

suggest getting emt possibly paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace2364 View Post
    More specifically, I am currently serving in Afghanistan, so are there any of the required courses that I can, or should, take online? My enlistment is up in November, and I am trying to get as much done as possible now, before I come home from here.
    Sorry, but if you have zero training or experience in Firefighting, there is absolutely NO WAY you can obtain the required certs by November. An Entry Level DOD Firefighter (which would be a GS-05 level) requires the following:

1. DoD (IFSAC/Pro-Board Equivalent) certifications in:
    -Firefighter I, Firefighter II
    -Fire Inspector I
    -Hazardous Materials (Operations)
    -EMT in whatever state you will be practicing.
    (ARFF Basic Course if working on an airfield)

Most DoD installations usually do not hire at the GS-05 level, they are usually looking for GS-07 level, which includes the above as well as:
    -Driver/Operator Pumpers
    -Driver/Operator Aerials
    -Driver/Operator ARFF
    -Fire Inspector II
    -Fire Officer I
    -Hazardous Materials (Technician Level)

The only way you could get hired without any certs would be to be hired as a GS-04/01 "Trainee", but these are hired even less than GS-05 FF's.

You want some advice? If you are hellbent on becoming a Federal FF, re-enlist active duty or the Reserves, jump M/O to Firefighter, and go to the DoD Fire Academy through that route. The DoD Fire Academy is located at Fort Hood, Texas. You could buy back your enlisted time and count it towards your Federal Civilian Employment (FF's required to retire at age 57) and have yourself a nice retirement.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 03-30-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Worldwide Menace

DoD Fire Academy is currently at Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo, TX.

-Damien

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    DoD Fire Academy is currently at Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo, TX.

-Damien
    Yeah thats what I said.

Forum Member

Ok perhaps I need to clarify alittle more. My enlistment is up in November, but obviously, being in Afghanistan, I know there is no way to be qualified to even apply by then. When my enlistment is up, my intent is to get the training I need to be qualified.

Re-enlisting is not an option because the only thing they will offer me is my current position(for active duty at least), which I have had quite enough of(4 combat tours is plenty for me).

The main reason I am looking to go federal, is because when this enlistment is up, I'll have 9 1/2 years service, and I really don't want to throw that time away if I don't have to.

Now, being that I am more or less killing time until I can get stateside anyway, is any of the training required, or recommended, possible to do online? Obviously, I would suspect that most of the training is hands on, but if there is some of it that isn't, I might as well get that out of the way while I have some time on my hands over here.

Thanks

Forum Member

Ok perhaps I need to clarify alittle more. My enlistment is up in November, but obviously, being in Afghanistan, I know there is no way to be qualified to even apply by then. When my enlistment is up, my intent is to get the training I need to be qualified.

Re-enlisting is not an option because the only thing they will offer me is my current position(for active duty at least), which I have had quite enough of(4 combat tours is plenty for me).

The main reason I am looking to go federal, is because when this enlistment is up, I'll have 9 1/2 years service, and I really don't want to throw that time away if I don't have to.

Now, being that I am more or less killing time until I can get stateside anyway, is any of the training required, or recommended, possible to do online? Obviously, I would suspect that most of the training is hands on, but if there is some of it that isn't, I might as well get that out of the way while I have some time on my hands over here.

Thanks
    all of your required certifications are going to have been administered by the academy, a federal fire dept, or a school in the states. you can study, but it isn't going to get you any closer to getting a certification

Forum Member

mace2364

1. try to go air force reserve with firefighting job guarantied.

2. possibly study for EMT while still in

what state do you look at living in, that does matter

Forum Member

Make the inquiry, see if they will let you re-up as long as you can make the jump. If not, tell them "asta la bye-bye" and go see what the USAFR will do for you.

Forum Member

Default Cdc

Mace,

One option that may be worth looking into is if there is an education center at/near the base you are holed up in. If so, you can enroll in firefighter I career development course (CDC) through AFAIDL. You will have a year to finish the course and of course you will have to buy your own books, but the course itself is free. Prereq for firefighter I is HazMat Awareness. I'd ask your local firefighters (contract right?) if they can teach you it (8 hours max). Next step would be FFII and HazMat Operations. Again, this can be done via CDC and possibly with the help of your local fire department. Go ask the firefighters, most of them are ex-military (AF usually) and will know what I am talking about. Give it a shot and let me know how it turns out.

Forum Member

From one ARMY soldier to the next. I am curently getting out of the ARMY as a firefighter (21M)to start a carrer as a DOD firefighter. Like some have said already join the reserves or the gaurd. There are two pluses to that. One you will get the training you need for the basic certs to get hired. Two you can finish your military carrer and not **** away 91/2 years. How much time do you have left when you get back to the U.S. If you can talk to the Training Chief at your post Fire Department maybe if they are nice enough to sponser you. What Army post are you a sigin to. You can do a DA 4187 to be attach to a firefighting detachment if there is one at your post to get the training you need. I have had one 11B to do this through my detachment already. Now you can use your G.I. Bill or GO ARMY ED to pay for the training you need also. Talk to the VA also when you out process. The VA is now also helping military veterans with job training after the military.
    Last edited by panthers; 04-04-2010 at 02:38 AM.

Thread Information