MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up Study: Chocolate could reduce heart risk

Study: Chocolate could reduce heart risk
    By MARIA CHENG, AP Medical Writer

Tuesday, March 30, 2010(03-30) 07:20 PDT LONDON, United Kingdom (AP)

The Easter Bunny might lower your chances of having a heart problem. According to a new study, small doses of chocolate every day could decrease your risk of having a heart attack or stroke by nearly 40 percent.

German researchers followed nearly 20,000 people over eight years, sending them several questionnaires about their diet and exercise habits.

They found people who had an average of six grams of chocolate per day — or about one square of a chocolate bar — had a 39 percent lower risk of either a heart attack or stroke. The study is scheduled to be published Wednesday in the European Heart Journal.

Previous studies have suggested dark chocolate in small amounts could be good for you, but this is the first study to track its effects over such a long period of time. Experts think the flavonols contained in chocolate are responsible. Flavonols help the muscles in blood vessels widen, which leads to a drop in blood pressure.

"It's a bit too early to come up with recommendations that people should eat more chocolate, but if people replace sugar or high-fat snacks with a little piece of dark chocolate, that might help," said Brian Buijsse, a nutritional epidemiologist at the German Institute of Human Nutrition in Nuthetal, Germany, the study's lead author.

The people tracked by Buijsse and colleagues had no history of heart problems, had similar habits for risk factors like smoking and exercise, and did not vary widely in their Body Mass Index.

Since the study only observed people and did not give them chocolate directly to test what its effects were, experts said more research was needed to determine the candy's exact impact on the body. The study was paid for by the German government and the European Union.

Doctors also warned that eating large amounts of chocolate could lead to weight gain, a major risk factor for heart problems and strokes.

"Basic science has demonstrated quite convincingly that dark chocolate ... improves vascular and platelet function," said Frank Ruschitzka in a statement, a cardiologist at the University Hospital Zurich and spokesman for the European Society of Cardiology. "However, before you rush to add dark chocolate to your diet, be aware that 100 grams of dark chocolate contains roughly 500 calories."

Buijsse said people hoping to benefit from chocolate's heart healthy effects should cut out other snacks and sweets if they wanted to eat chocolate. "The biggest problem with this is not to gain weight," said Buijsse. "Eating too much chocolate will have negative effects that far outweigh the positive effects of cocoa."

Forum Member

I can simplify the above... Getting/eating chocolate makes you happy. Happy means less stress and good endorphins pumping thru the system. Low stress and no negative toxins means a healthy heart.
    Therefore: chocolate=
    Last edited by firecat1; 06-08-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Forum Member

So,I shouldn't feel bad about pouring a couple fingers' of honey into a glass,covering that with milk,nuking it for a minute and then adding unsweetend cocoa?
    I believe it's breakfast!

Forum Member

Sigh.......
    Last edited by firecat1; 06-08-2010 at 02:33 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sir. Ma'm. I regret to inform you that your daughter died. Apparently she drowned in her bath tub. What's that? Oh yes, it seems the tub overflowed with chocolate, and ... well we're not sure but we think she may have fallen asleep.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Sir. Ma'm. I regret to inform you that your daughter died. Apparently she drowned in her bath tub. What's that? Oh yes, it seems the tub overflowed with chocolate, and ... well we're not sure but we think she may have fallen asleep.
    Death by chocolate... what a way to go!!!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Hey Rick!!..............

Whattaya need, a Slap upside the Head?? That Hint was bigger than the Rock of Gibraltar. Get the Lady some Chocolate.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Whattaya need, a Slap upside the Head?? That Hint was bigger than the Rock of Gibraltar. Get the Lady some Chocolate.........
    Nope. I take care of that wee need every few weeks, as required. No prompting necessary.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Hmmm........

I'm not a Doctor, or a Chemist, or a Drug Head. BUT, with the references to Cocoa in the First Post, Would Cocaine do the Same???.............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

In all seriousness, the health benefits have been linked mostly to Dark Chocolate.

My Master's Thesis was about this subject. The higher the concentration of Cacao in the chocolate, the better it is. If you read the ingredient list and see anything about alkaline or alkalinization then most of the health benefits are lost.

I am just glad they make dark chocolate M&Ms.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

I've always been a dark-chocolate junkie, never cared much for the milk chocolate. With all these studies in recent years, now I know why.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    In all seriousness, the health benefits have been linked mostly to Dark Chocolate.

My Master's Thesis was about this subject. The higher the concentration of Cacao in the chocolate, the better it is. If you read the ingredient list and see anything about alkaline or alkalinization then most of the health benefits are lost.

I am just glad they make dark chocolate M&Ms.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    I've always been a dark-chocolate junkie, never cared much for the milk chocolate. With all these studies in recent years, now I know why.
    Yeah. White chocolate is absolutely nothing, and is not really considered chocolate. Most mild chocolate is alkalinized and there is little benefit from it.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

Actually, any form of chocolate reduces heart risks...because you die of diabetes before you have time to develop cardiovascular disease.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Actually, any form of chocolate reduces heart risks...because you die of diabetes before you have time to develop cardiovascular disease.
    Diabetes is a huge contributor to developing cardiovascular disease. It becomes amatter of time before a Diabetic develops hypertension and high cholesterol at a younger age and more severely than a non-diabetic.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    I'm not a Doctor, or a Chemist, or a Drug Head. BUT, with the references to Cocoa in the First Post, Would Cocaine do the Same???.............
    They do come from the same plant,right?As Arsenio would say,"Things that make you go 'Hmmm'."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    They do come from the same plant,right?As Arsenio would say,"Things that make you go 'Hmmm'."
    "Chocolate comes from cocoa beans which grow on cocoa trees. Cocaine comes from the leaves of the coca bush."

Forum Member

Sigh.......
    You see those bubbles coming from the the tub???

They are just bubbles!!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Sigh.......
    You got any other woman around here dipped in chocolate?
    That's funny right there!I don't care what you say!
    Lord,I apologize for that [mumbles] and be with the Pygmies in New Guinea.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    You got any other woman around here dipped in chocolate?
    That's funny right there!I don't care what you say!
    Lord,I apologize for that [mumbles] and be with the Pygmies in New Guinea.
    Doug, you'll have to do your OWN lady-dipping!!!

Forum Member

Doug, you'll have to do your OWN lady-dipping!!!
    That's how to get the best chocolate dipped wimmens.Do it yerself.And I am leaving it at that before I get charged with another TMI violation.

Thread Information