Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Medical First Responder equipment

Ok, our First Responders provide BLS non transport care. They are often on the scene for 15 or more minutes before the ALS ambulance service arrives - they are located 17 miles away from our station 1.

Our First Responders are unfunded. There is little money for fire, much less EMS. Their equipment is for the most part purchased by the responder, bags, supplies, 02. The local hospital has not been able to help, nor the local ambulance service.

Training is easy - we got a grant for that. Replacement supplies is fairly easy, the ambulance service will replace what one uses on scene. My department has more
    EMT's than any other local department.

We got given 2 AED's from a state program, one for each station. Bought 2 surplus from the state. Chief and the top volume first responder carry those.

First responders respond POV. Very often they do not even pass close to the stations when responding as we cover nearly 200 square miles.

What I would like to do..

Get a grant to purchase 02 tanks, regulators, Pulse ox meters (50 bucks now! Cheap!) bags, basic initial supplies, EMS jackets, for our first responders. I would also like to do two autopulse units, one for each engine. (When dispatched for a cardiac issue, someone will be tasked via radio to get that)

I would like to get some more AED's also.

What do you all think? Will AFG look favorably on this?

You sold me on your brief narrative included in this post.

Like they say "you gotta be in it to win it!" I'm game from the description...

Forum Member

I'm surprised you can't get the regulators and O2 bottles from the Ambulance or hospital, that's who gave us ours, ambulance usually has spare bottles so we just swap with them when we need a fresh one.

I'll see what I can do about getting a couple regulators for you, no promises but I might be able to snag a couple from them.

Check your email, I sent ya something last night, the cost is $0.00 if you want what I emailed you about, just come get 'em when up this way.

MembersZone Subscriber

May I recommend a CO-oximeter? There's a lot of potential just within the FD and rehab for one. Also, any smoke exposure, CO alarms, and "not feeling well" while running a generator in the garage during a power outtage.

They're a bit pricier than a pulse oximeter, but I'm of the opinion they are very beneficial and have the pulse-ox built in.

Talking

Gotta agree with catch on this one .
    The Masimo Rad 57 is a tremendous tool for the fire service. We use it to check every firefighter on the fireground when they come to rehab and change bottles. It's quick and accurate.
    Recent studies have shown that long term cumulative exposure to Carbon Monoxide is very harmful to our health. A pulse oximiter will not read accurately in the presence of CO in the blood stream as CO attaches to the red blood cells and displaces the O2 molecules.

LVFD: when are you going to be up this way?

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Gotta agree with catch on this one .
    The Masimo Rad 57 is a tremendous tool for the fire service. We use it to check every firefighter on the fireground when they come to rehab and change bottles. It's quick and accurate.
    Recent studies have shown that long term cumulative exposure to Carbon Monoxide is very harmful to our health. A pulse oximiter will not read accurately in the presence of CO in the blood stream as CO attaches to the red blood cells and displaces the O2 molecules.

LVFD: when are you going to be up this way?
    It is a great idea, and after Catch suggested it I did checking and the Rad 57 looks like
    a great tool I am waiting for pricing, but reading around I am seeing from 3k all the way to 6k.

I can't put one in each first responders hands, but one on each engine is certainly do-able.

Its a good time, I am in the midst of writing a rehab SOG right now!

Not sure when I am going to make it up there right now, it is a tough time to get away for more than two days.

Talking

I called the Masimo factory direct and talked to a sales rep one on one. He made me a deal as they were just starting to sell them and wanted some out on the street for testing on durability. Price was 3500.00 minus a 500 discount and another 300 off for trading in a competitors handheld broken pulse ox. In the four years we've had it , there have been no problems with the unit. We have it on our ambulance which always responds to fire scenes.

Thread Information