MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    I hate to say this, but late May or early June is looking awfully good right now.

Should I post the dates taken and available again? I asked myself if the pool was for program guidance or opening date? I think I'll ask one of Obama's choices for the bench.
    June 2, Jam. I want that rope that LVFD put up and since Kurt put up a free seat in one of his classes for the winner this pool is beginning to get interesting. ďJust jokingĒ
    Hey Blake, A few questions for you. Donít you think it will be more communication grants awarded this year? I mean somebody has to help these departments that canít afford one new radio and sure canít replace all they have. Since I will be opening our bids tomorrow for the departmentís new P-25 system I feel very lucky that we got funding when we did or we would be in the same boat they are. We will be breaking new ground for the county with the first P-25 system up and working.
    I ask some other departments around me what are they going to do, they just said they will unplug the radios and do without. You know as well as I do they want because a department without communications is a department out of service. We still have some departments using the old 100 kHz tube type radios built in the late 60ís and early 70ís. The FCC put this mandate on us without funding and the higher ups in the food chain surely knows most canít afford it. But on the other hand everyone knew it was coming for almost 10 years and never planned for it. So what do you think? Will AFG put a little more money in pot for the 2013 thing thatís coming?
    I have one more question that only a radio man can answer. If you have lots of 7/8 feed line can you run two 7/8 to the antenna to help decrease your loss and would it have to be exactly the same length? Would it be worth the trouble? Around 250 ft run. Thanks again for looking over the bid specís for me. I did make some changes like a performance clause and a few other things. Canít wait to get it up and going.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    We need a prize (and a bump)

Tell you what I am going to do...

I have available about 60 miles of rope. All on 1200 foot rolls. Maybe about 70 miles.

3/8 inch polypropoline. Yellow or black.

I have been slowly selling this stuff, but for the lucky winner of the pool, you get a roll!

(100.00 value, really more but I have discounted to move it)

I will even ship it to you.

WHAT A PRIZE!

Thats a 1200 foot long spool of rope! FREE!

Ok, I am tired, but what the heck, it adds something to the pool!
    In that case I'll take 26 April!

Forum Member

Sorry Troyboy, drm2155, has April 26th,

mntdew Rob? drm2155 actually was the third picker in the pool and got the 26th first. Feel free to pick another number.

Here is what is left in April. 20,21,24,25,27,29

Here is what is taken in May. 3(me), 7,14,26,

Here is what is taken in June. 1,2,4,11(admpaul),20

Rope, Tshirts and for your updated information the date is for Program Guidance to appear.

Someone said a spot on one of Kurts classrooms, for the record I didn't see that and Kurt never sent anything to me about it. That may be a little tooo much for a fun pool.
    Last edited by jam24u; 04-20-2010 at 11:22 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

mntdew Rob? drm2155 actually was the third picker in the pool and got the 26th first. Feel free to pick another number.

Rope, Tshirts and for your updated information the date is for Program Guidance to appear.

Someone said a spot on one of Kurts classrooms, for the record I didn't see that and Kurt never sent anything to me about it. That may be a little tooo much for a fun pool.
    Oh man Kurt is going to kill me. I was just picking at him. Half what I say is a lie and the other half you can't believe.
    Last edited by dfd701; 04-20-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Forum Member

I will take May 10th

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    Hey Blake, A few questions for you. Donít you think it will be more communication grants awarded this year? I mean somebody has to help these departments that canít afford one new radio and sure canít replace all they have. Since I will be opening our bids tomorrow for the departmentís new P-25 system I feel very lucky that we got funding when we did or we would be in the same boat they are. We will be breaking new ground for the county with the first P-25 system up and working.
    I ask some other departments around me what are they going to do, they just said they will unplug the radios and do without. You know as well as I do they want because a department without communications is a department out of service. We still have some departments using the old 100 kHz tube type radios built in the late 60ís and early 70ís. The FCC put this mandate on us without funding and the higher ups in the food chain surely knows most canít afford it. But on the other hand everyone knew it was coming for almost 10 years and never planned for it. So what do you think? Will AFG put a little more money in pot for the 2013 thing thatís coming?
    I have my own opinions on what is going on right now - and I am keeping them to myself.

Something better break real soon for narrowbanding. There are a lot of departments out
    there that have done NOTHING to prepare. Sadly too - a lot of salespukes running around saying that only digital will work. Narrowband radios are not that expensive, and IMHO, if
    a department has not been planning over the last 10 years, then the fault is not only the feds.

I have one more question that only a radio man can answer. If you have lots of 7/8 feed line can you run two 7/8 to the antenna to help decrease your loss and would it have to be exactly the same length? Would it be worth the trouble? Around 250 ft run. Thanks again for looking over the bid specís for me. I did make some changes like a performance clause and a few other things. Canít wait to get it up and going.
    I can not imagine anything positive coming from that. A good run of 7/8, a single run,
    for VHF or UHF will work great. The next most important thing is a good antenna, we always recomend the DB series of antennas, DB224 for VHF. Take a lightning strike and most often keeps on ticking. I call those fiberglass antennas fuses....

Forum Member

Default Optimistic.., but

I'll take May 4th if available...,

MembersZone Subscriber

I have my own opinions on what is going on right now - and I am keeping them to myself.

Something better break real soon for narrowbanding. There are a lot of departments out
    there that have done NOTHING to prepare. Sadly too - a lot of salespukes running around saying that only digital will work. Narrowband radios are not that expensive, and IMHO, if
    a department has not been planning over the last 10 years, then the fault is not only the feds.

I can not imagine anything positive coming from that. A good run of 7/8, a single run,
    for VHF or UHF will work great. The next most important thing is a good antenna, we always recomend the DB series of antennas, DB224 for VHF. Take a lightning strike and most often keeps on ticking. I call those fiberglass antennas fuses....
    You must have been reading my mind. That was what I was thinking about using was the fiberglass. I have one of those and two db224 in the barn. I know the db224 is a 6-g and not positive but I think the fiberglass is a 9 db gain. I have had an old fiberglass CB antenna up for more than 25 years and it still works but I have also seen one up for a few weeks and got split down like you pilled a banana. I think I will stick with the DB224. Had one up on top water tank since 1988. Got hit by lightning lots of times and like you said it still works. I knew I was asking the right person. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

and IMHO, if
    Failing to plan is a plan for failure! Well said!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

You must have been reading my mind. That was what I was thinking about using was the fiberglass. I have one of those and two db224 in the barn. I know the db224 is a 6-g and not positive but I think the fiberglass is a 9 db gain. I have had an old fiberglass CB antenna up for more than 25 years and it still works but I have also seen one up for a few weeks and got split down like you pilled a banana. I think I will stick with the DB224. Had one up on top water tank since 1988. Got hit by lightning lots of times and like you said it still works. I knew I was asking the right person. Thanks
    See Kenneth,

I told you Blake was the 'Man' to ask!

As far as the 'failing to plan' part. Better late start than never.

Firedude has selected May 4th.

MembersZone Subscriber

A qualified rumor has hit stating PG may be released tomorrow for 26 opening.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdFloor View Post
    I'm back from vacation and delighted that my guess -- the first day of vacation -- was wrong.

Love the "qualified rumor", Kurt. Is the rumor monger qualified to speak with (relative) authority? Or did the rumors have all sorts of qualifiers attached (if the sun rises in the west, if a bucket of money suddenly appears, if there's no traffic on the freeway...)?
    I love it, good to see someone at this stage of the game still has a sense of humor attached solidly. My info came from the Minnesota Fire Service information and they are usually quite accurate and pretty well informed. My own perosnal gues was that PG woudl come out on Sat like it did last year. I guess time will tell!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

I'm back from vacation and delighted that my guess -- the first day of vacation -- was wrong.

Love the "qualified rumor", Kurt. Is the rumor monger qualified to speak with (relative) authority? Or did the rumors have all sorts of qualifiers attached (if the sun rises in the west, if a bucket of money suddenly appears, if there's no traffic on the freeway...)?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Troyboy67 View Post
    If it indeed does happen on the 26th, can I at least get a jump rope
    ROFLMAO! again and again

Forum Member

If it indeed does happen on the 26th, can I at least get a jump rope

Forum Member

Guidance is out 4/23. Someone had the date picked, but don't know who the winner is.

Forum Member

Must be something going on with firehouse website. I posted the previous comments at 1:43 pm, eastern time as listed on my computer as well. It showed up as an hour earlier (12:43) on the posting time. Have seen this on numerous other threads today.

MembersZone Subscriber

Rob from Iowa has April 26th.

(you guys realize that April hasn't got a chance right?)
    (May is barely any better)
    Start eating them words.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtndew21 View Post
    Start eating them words.
    Sorry Rob, My mistake. DRM1255 on the 5th post had taken April 26th. I realized that the pool was for the day that program guidance came out.

When I kept protecting your selection it turns out I was protecting DRM1255's selection.

Anyway Islandfire is the acutal winner. Congrats Ed.

Forum Member

Talking

Sorry Rob, My mistake. DRM1255 on the 5th post had taken April 26th. I realized that the pool was for the day that program guidance came out.

When I kept protecting your selection it turns out I was protecting DRM1255's selection.

Yippeee I'm a winner !!!!!!
    I picked that date as a W A Guess. Actually the 23rd is the day I got married in Nov of 74. It's been a lucky number for me ever since.

I can always use rope. LVFD can deliver it when he comes up this way for a visit & I'll trade him for some genuine Maine seafood.

The really good news is that we finally completed installation & testing of our new voted receiver microwave linked radio system this week. Went live on Monday and it's everything We had hoped for, maybe even better!
    The radio engineer I've worked with for 5 years designed the perfect cost effective system for us. The TAIT radio equipment is excellent Linking the voters with a 4.9 ghz microwave link is the way to go. Much cleaner and awesome clarity, without atmospheric interference. We are now ready for narrow banding ahead of the deadline . Just need a few dozen more new pagers between the three departments .

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I be a cow kicked by a mule. I needed that rope to put up a tower. Islandfire must have had some inside info. I am thinking Watergate or selling arms to Iran kind of thing. Oh well at least he will have lots of rope to play with from LVFD if it didnít get blown away today. The storms are supposed to hit here Saturday night.
    Alabama got four awards in the last round. Congratulations to Cuba Chief for getting one of them. Way to go chief.

Thread Information