Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Handlines at MVCs...

Is it your department's S.O.P. to pull a handline at all MVCs? Only MVCs requiring extrication? Or only when fire is showing? Is there an NFPA standard that requires this be done? I ask because there are talks in a nearby fire district of not sending fire department on MVCs, and allowing a third-service "Rescue Squad" to provide any necessary extrication. Neither this rescue squad, nor my ambulance, have no forms of extinguishing agents beyond some small extinguishers. Any thoughts or comments?

Forum Member

We get a guy in BA with a handline ready to go, as well as a dry powder extinguisher.

In reality, if the car hasn't gone up by the time we arrive, then it isn't going to.
    (This is Australia by the way)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by StuRat View Post
    We get a guy in BA with a handline ready to go, as well as a dry powder extinguisher.

In reality, if the car hasn't gone up by the time we arrive, then it isn't going to.
    (This is Australia by the way)
    A department near us had a vehicle that was leaking a little gas. The gas must have hit a hot exhaust manifold and it ignited. The passengers were out, but a couple of firefighters got minor burns.

We pull a line whenever we are cutting or if fluids are leaking.

Charged hoseline and full gear for extrications and care fires. I've yet to have a fuel leak at an MVC that wasn't the result or cause of a car fire, but we'd pull a line for that if we ever had one without the fire.

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

we have a line charged when doing extrications anyhting more than a door pop. door pops usually get a 40# abc.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

My old department had a light duty rescue unit with 350 gals of water respond to all MVC's (needing EMS) and prefferably an engine if we had the manpower. We had to have at least a jump line (50' 1.5" line w/ 95gpm nozzle) charged and all fire personnel had to be in full turnouts minus SCBA's unless flames were showing. The department I'm with now does not do this. I can see the danger in not having water supply ready, but I'm learning each departments different.

MembersZone Subscriber

We pull a line on any vehicle we're extricating on or if there's a fuel leak and we're working near it. If there's a fuel leak and we're extricating, we'll lay down a blanket of foam with the Pro-Pak.

Pretty much the same...
    We pull a line when we are extricating, when there is a fuel leak, or even if neither of them, if there is substantial engine damage we will.

pretty much state wide, FD in NOT sent to the majority of MVCs. the bulk are handled by PD for traffic and reports, and an ambulance for patient care.

any time its an entrapment, the FD is supposed to be there with a line charged. even with a 3rd party rescue service, the FD should be there with a charged line.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Thread Information