MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Unhappy Honoring Of WWI Veterans

I can't help but think this is just a wee bit late, as the last of the Canadian Veterans passed away a few weeks ago. We must however, still pay homage to their loss and sacrifice.

Ceremony will honour those who served in First World War

Canwest News Service March 31, 2010 4:02 AM

OTTAWA A ceremony will be held April 9 at the National War Memorial in Ottawa to honour the men and women of Canada who served in the First World War.

The ceremony will also pay tribute to John Bab****, the last remaining veteran of that war who died in February at the age of 109.

"Canadians will have an opportunity to celebrate the hard fought victories of those brave men and women," Veterans Affairs Minister Jean-Pierre Blackburn said in a news release.

Other ceremonies are planned across Canada and at the Canadian National Vimy Memorial in France and the Canada Memorial at Green Park in London.

"We are forever indebted to those who served for our country during the First World War and we must pay tribute to them by remembering their contributions to Canada," Blackburn said.

According to the Department of Veterans Affairs, 68,000 Canadians lost their lives in the conflict and more than 170,000 were injured.

Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Forum Member

RIP.

I met a couple of WW I vets back in the 60's and 70's. Very tight lipped about the experience.

One opened up one day to tell me he thought about the war every day.

I found out later he had seen extensive action in Chateau-Thierry. I could never even imagine what he saw as a young man.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

BTW, sensors struck again, John's last name should read BabKock, with a C instead of K in the middle. Doesnt like the word "Kock".

Back In Black

I'm in the middle of a biography of a veteran marine from WWII. I was inspired by the Pacific on HBO. It was written in the late 70's as the author (William Manchester) revisits battlegrounds he fought on.

I've read many books about WWI, as well.

The debt owed to these gentlemen could never be repaid.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    RIP.

I met a couple of WW I vets back in the 60's and 70's. Very tight lipped about the experience.

One opened up one day to tell me he thought about the war every day.

I found out later he had seen extensive action in Chateau-Thierry. I could never even imagine what he saw as a young man.
    Most combat vets won't talk about their combat experiences. They'll talk abotu the fun and games with Joey during their down time in the hooch and the jokes and pranks they played. But they won't tell you about watching Joey go flying trough the air in 4 parts after stepping on a trip wire.

These WWI guys were a tough group of bastards though. Mustard Gas, Maxim machine guns, artillery barages, "No Man's Land", trench warfare, and the first use of tanks in battle. Plus just the timeframe the war took place in - these were hearty men back 1917. And they had to fight the Spanish Flu to keep themselves from dying - they were being killed on all fronts.

I like military history and books regarding combat experiences in those times. I still love reading and hearing about Alvin York (a pacifist) and his exploits that resulted in him being awarded the Medal of Honor. I like reading stuff about the Lost Battalion in the Argonne, and - as scfire86 pointed out - Chatteau-Theiry which included the battle of Belleau Wood (which has a storied place in Marine Corps history.)
    Last edited by DaSharkie; 03-31-2010 at 11:06 AM.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I'm in the middle of a biography of a veteran marine from WWII. I was inspired by the Pacific on HBO. It was written in the late 70's as the author (William Manchester) revisits battlegrounds he fought on.
    One of the books the Pacific is based off of is "With the Old Breed At Peliliu and Okinawa." It was written by Eugene Sledge. Probably one of the finest books written from the grunt's point of view.

His accounts of the brutatlity of war and the visciousness of the Japanese in battle over 3 campaigns in the Pacific Theatre is just powerful. One of the finer books I have ever read. It is also required reading for Marines for promotions - as per the Commandant of the Marine Corps.

I don't know if you have read it Chief, but I highly recommend it.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Thread Information