MembersZone Subscriber

Default SAFER Awards Announced

SAFER awards were announced today. Congrats to all of the winners.

So is Wednesday going to continue as the day SAFER awards will be announced?

Forum Member

Wow, looks like alot of money given out today for SAFER. How much was allocated for the program? Bugle you have the stats for this program like the AFG you do?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyMan29 View Post
    Wow, looks like alot of money given out today for SAFER. How much was allocated for the program? Bugle you have the stats for this program like the AFG you do?
    $210 milion was allocated with 48 awards totaling $55,809,677. $154,190,323(73%) remains.

I don't usually produce stats for this as they usually end up not being accurate. Too often the departments that recieve hiring grants end up refusing the award as they cannot meet the requirements. When this happens the data is not updated by AFG to reflect this.

Forum Member

Last week I did some SAFER award checking for my state of Nebraska. Only 5 or 6 awardees ever.

Makes me wonder how many applied. Is SAFER that much harder to get awarded or harder to write for?

Forum Member

Out of the nearly 900 departments we met in workshops last year almost half (300-400) of the ones that were volunteer or combination didn't realize what R&R did. All they saw was hiring and never thought about anything else so never read the PG. We did 3 times the apps for SAFER this year than last, most of the increase due to R&R. On the stats front the 2009s are going to be heavily on hiring with the concentration on stopping job losses. Odd that the listing doesn't include the number of personnel like in past years. Easy enough stat to include, just a field in the database.

Forum Member

Wonder when the next round of 1199s are coming for SAFER...ive been checking relentlessly 5 or 6 times a day.

Forum Member

The 6.9 million for Cincinnati will require a waiver. They are using the funds to try and keep about 40 positions. It is a shame they are already closing 3-4 companies a day. Hopefully this will get them through the bad times.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    $210 milion was allocated.

I don't usually produce stats for this as they usually end up not being accurate. Too often the departments that receive hiring grants end up refusing the award as they cannot meet the requirements. When this happens the data is not updated by AFG to reflect this.
    IMHO, it should be updated. They our congresscritters might see a trend and not keep increasing the amount to SAFER. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for this program (despite not applying for my Dept. - YET) but when you look at the statistics between the 2 programs, there are a large number of serious equipment and apparatus needs out there (despite Nepolitano's comments that equipment needs have been met and what we really need is more paid F's...) A good number of applicants have denied the award or even gave back the money (WITH INTEREST!) due to financial restraints... So, they reduce the requirements each year and it appears the same thing keeps happening... Seems to me that $3 - 5 Billion requested each year (less one) for equipment is still showing a substantial equipment need, and to have the funding reduced so dramatically this year is a dis-service to the FF's. There are still a large number of FD's that have little to no PPE, and a large number that have gear so old it is a wonder they don't get killed...

Sorry, off the soapbox... At least I feel a little better now... Now back to looking the the illustrious 1199A for my vehicle.....

Forum Member

Wow! I'm sorry that I've brought this topic to a screeching halt! Really didn't mean to do that...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by medic190 View Post
    Wow! I'm sorry that I've brought this topic to a screeching halt! Really didn't mean to do that...
    No you didn't bring it to a halt and you are right to an extent. At least in the eyes of some of us. You notice that Janet said hiring of firefighters. No matter what is said their real intention is to create jobs as that is one of the measuring sticks used against the present administration.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anybody know how the awards are given out, i.e. do the departments that submitted their applications closer to the beginning of the application filing period have preference over those who didnt? The department I'm trying to get on, Jersey City Dept of Fire (NJ), applied for the grant on the last day. What are the chances of them receiving the grant? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Time of submission has nothing to do with it. Order of announcements is generally high to low scoring.

MembersZone Subscriber

I got an 1199a about 2 weeks ago for hiring and I wasn't awarded this round. It was probably my fault because I sat on the questions for 10 days before I sent them back. I had to get some questions answered so I didn't send them back right way. Anyway, I am sure there are more 1199a's already out that haven't been awarded yet, but probably many more to come.

Forum Member

We have a handful that weren't announced either, and plenty more 1199As to come on both sides. Especially since no one has peeped about an R&R one coming out.

Thread Information