Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Exclamation Scott AV-2000 vs. Scott AV-3000

Hi, fellow firefighters. I was just wondering about what may be the best option between these two masks. I am throwing the old MSA NFPA 1981 Certified Mask back on the shelf after being told about the new arrival of Scott 60 minute airpacks to our station as well as the fact that my mask does not meet the current safety regulations. Plus, it fogs up very easily since it lacks the nose cup. I am about to purchase a Scott AV-2000 facepiece that it is already mounted with the talk around mount. I have to options yet only one of them is within my budget which is the AV-2000. However, I am aware that the AV-3000 has better visibility, but another bad thing about the AV-3000 other than the high price is the fact that the head harnesses have seperated from the mask in the past. Please provide some feedback. Thanks, guys.

Here is the AV-3000:

Here is the AV-2000:
    Last edited by Firefighter4life91; 03-31-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Adding Photo Descriptions

The only separation issues I've heard of were from user error when donning the mask. If you recall, when we had the old 2's, you had to pull them "up and away" from the mask. On the new 3000's, this places a lot of stress on the attachment point. If you read the instructions on donning the 2000 or 3000, it says to pull the straps 'back' not away (think of 'rolling' your hands along your head - we tell the students that their hands should touch the head at all times while tightening the straps)

If you need CBRN certification, the newer model 2000's and most of the 3000's are certified (if the nosecup is gray, it is CBRN)

Forum Member

I own both a 2000 and a 3000. The 3000 has much better downward vision. It also has the strap attatchment points tied to the seal of the mask instead of the mask frame. It has larger voice emitters so your voice will be louder and it has brass inserts to hold the EPIC voice amp bracket which is much more secure then the way they mount on the AV2000. Is the AV3000 so much better that i would say to pay the extra money for it if you have a perfectly good AV2000? No.

The AV3000's also have the luxury of being able to use different size nosecups. The AV2000 only offered different size masks. I wear an XL in an AV2000 but a Large in the AV3000 as an XL is not offered. But the fit is fine.

And keep in mind, a new version of the AV3000 has just come out. It uses a different strap system and headnet. There is an additional strap at the middle of the top. I tried one on. I liked it, but have yet to use one in a fire. So if your buying new, make sure you have the chance to try on the latest version.

And the only time i have heard of people having issues with either mask is like was mentioned by Medic, people not donning the mask properly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by medic190 View Post
    The only separation issues I've heard of were from user error when donning the mask. If you recall, when we had the old 2's, you had to pull them "up and away" from the mask. On the new 3000's, this places a lot of stress on the attachment point. If you read the instructions on donning the 2000 or 3000, it says to pull the straps 'back' not away (think of 'rolling' your hands along your head - we tell the students that their hands should touch the head at all times while tightening the straps)

If you need CBRN certification, the newer model 2000's and most of the 3000's are certified (if the nosecup is gray, it is CBRN)
    OK. Thanks for the tips. I will keep that in mind as well as make sure that I alert the guys at the station to make sure they don correctly because a few of our guys have had their head harnesses seperate from the net.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    I own both a 2000 and a 3000. The 3000 has much better downward vision. It also has the strap attatchment points tied to the seal of the mask instead of the mask frame. It has larger voice emitters so your voice will be louder and it has brass inserts to hold the EPIC voice amp bracket which is much more secure then the way they mount on the AV2000. Is the AV3000 so much better that i would say to pay the extra money for it if you have a perfectly good AV2000? No.

The AV3000's also have the luxury of being able to use different size nosecups. The AV2000 only offered different size masks. I wear an XL in an AV2000 but a Large in the AV3000 as an XL is not offered. But the fit is fine.

And keep in mind, a new version of the AV3000 has just come out. It uses a different strap system and headnet. There is an additional strap at the middle of the top. I tried one on. I liked it, but have yet to use one in a fire. So if your buying new, make sure you have the chance to try on the latest version.

And the only time i have heard of people having issues with either mask is like was mentioned by Medic, people not donning the mask properly.
    Ok. Thank you. I have already made my purchase. I have purchased the 2000 due to a tight budget and having to pay for gas etc. I think we can all relate here lol. Thanks alot for your tips. I appreciate them. The AV-2000 will serve me well. I know that the AV-3000 is much better, but limited money means limited choices. Thanks again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    If you're buying a new facepiece the AV3000 should only cost you about $10 more than a AV2000. And the difference between a '48 Ford and a 2010.

The new AV3000 Shurseal looks like a futher improvement.

I wouldn't even think about buying a new AV2000.

As true as that may be, 10 dollars difference may not seem like alot to others, but I had to pay car insurance which is pretty high and I had to get gas just before I was able to purchase my AV2000. Also, 10 dollars goes a long way in terms of gas money. Yes, I know that the AV3000 is much better, but I will take either one. However, the cheaper, the better. Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by Firefighter4life91; 04-21-2010 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Typo

MembersZone Subscriber

If you're buying a new facepiece the AV3000 should only cost you about $10 more than a AV2000. And the difference between a '48 Ford and a 2010.

The new AV3000 Shurseal looks like a futher improvement.

I wouldn't even think about buying a new AV2000.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KB1OEV View Post
    The 3000s have two safety notices out on them from the SCOTT website.

Strap separation issue which has already been discussed:
    http://www.scotthealthsafety.com/Ame...678_010808.pdf

Frame Cracking issue:
    http://www.scotthealthsafety.com/Ame...HS6510_405.pdf

The plastic frames that hold the clear lens have lugs on each side which can crack and begin to separate. SCOTT will send new frames to anyone who has had this problem.

I don't know if the newer 3000s are immune to this problem, but a lot of older ones in my dept have had the lugs crack and some have even fallen off.

I still prefer the 3000 to the 2000, but you should be aware of the problems with the 3's.
    Exactly. I have been made aware of those problems. My AV2000 just endured a 4th alarm fire with temps well into the 1000s range. We had firemen passing out and going down left and right. My "wingman" as I call him, was wearing an AV-3000 and somehow, it cracked. I had plenty of debris falling around me. An oak wood beam (not a rafter) about 2 feet long fell and hit my mask. Not so much as a scuff on it. I'm not saying that the AV-3000 is worse, cuz it's actually better. However, if Scott wants to make a more, I guess you would say "luxurious" item, they need to make it consistent in terms of safety. As the AV-2000 is out-dated and not as "luxurious", it is (in my opinion) a little bit safer since I know for a fact that the risk of malfunction is lower than that of the AV-3000. Thanks for your input.

Forum Member

The 3000s have two safety notices out on them from the SCOTT website.

Strap separation issue which has already been discussed:
    http://www.scotthealthsafety.com/Ame...678_010808.pdf

Frame Cracking issue:
    http://www.scotthealthsafety.com/Ame...HS6510_405.pdf

The plastic frames that hold the clear lens have lugs on each side which can crack and begin to separate. SCOTT will send new frames to anyone who has had this problem.

I don't know if the newer 3000s are immune to this problem, but a lot of older ones in my dept have had the lugs crack and some have even fallen off.

I still prefer the 3000 to the 2000, but you should be aware of the problems with the 3's.

Thread Information