Forum Member

Question Prince George County, Maryland Live ins

I am currently in high school and on with a small VFD. When I graduate high school I would like to go to PG to Live in at a house up there. I noticed that some depts up there require you to have your FF 1 to Live in, Does anybody know of any depts that i can go to without that and just get it within a certain amount of time when I get up there? I live in Tennessee so I can't go back and fourth alot because it would be to expensive. I really am hoping there are live in programs up there that you can join without any experience. Also what is included in the Physical Examination that you have to pass to volunteer.

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by explorer478 View Post
    I am currently in high school and on with a small VFD. When I graduate high school I would like to go to PG to Live in at a house up there. I noticed that some depts up there require you to have your FF 1 to Live in, Does anybody know of any depts that i can go to without that and just get it within a certain amount of time when I get up there? I live in Tennessee so I can't go back and fourth alot because it would be to expensive. I really am hoping there are live in programs up there that you can join without any experience. Also what is included in the Physical Examination that you have to pass to volunteer.

Thanks
    Prince Georges County requires you to obtain Firefighter I in order to ride. All of the fire departments there fall under County control as far as training mandates.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

So I can't just get it when I go up there?

MembersZone Subscriber

HWoods can probably give better info, but training is offered in Maryland through MFRI. It is free to members of volunteer departments in Maryland. Individual departments will have different policies relating to live-in members, but I'm sure that you can find one that will allow you to live in while you are getting FF1.

Can't answer the questions about the physical though, sorry.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post And.............

I'm Here. Sorry to take so long, but 22 Runs in 24 hours does that to you......

OK, Here's some info: Anyone can Apply for Membership in a VFD in this part of the world. There are about 12 Pages of Paperwork in the Application Process. You get voted in as a Probationary Member, and your Paperwork goes to the County Fire Commission. You become the subject of a Background Check, if you pass that, you are Scheduled for a Physical. After you pass the Physical, You attend a 38 hour Training Class. When you pass that, you are issued a set of Gear (PPE). You can start "On the Job Training" at that time, UNDER THE CLOSE SUPERVISION OF AN OFFICER. Also at that time the Clock Starts ticking.... You now have 30 months to Take and Pass Maryland's 120 Hour Firefighter I and the 132 hour EMT-B Courses.

As to what VFD you would go to, that's up to you. Apply to the one that interests you. Look them up on the PGCVFRA Website- www.PGCVFRA.Org/content/links/

Bear in mind that the Membership Process takes a couple of Months to get thru.

Last, But IMPORTANT - EVERYONE MUST BECOME AN EMT. Emergency Medical Services are 75% of our Workload. EVERYONE rides the Ambulance, and to be honest, New Folks (You) get more time on it than Older Folks (Me) It's all about Seniority..........
    Last edited by hwoods; 03-31-2010 at 11:47 PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Smile

Thank you hwoods, you are a big help and you answered most of my questions. So can i live in while im getting my 38 hour and FF1? I know that I could get my EMT when i get up there but I didnt know about those. I see that you are from Glenn Dale, How is it there? Do you guys have live ins? I like Glenn Dale but the only thing i don't like about it is that there is no truck company but I would love riding the rescue squad! Thank you again and I look forward to talking to you soon again.

Forum Member

Thank you hwoods, you are a big help and you answered most of my questions. So can i live in while im getting my 38 hour and FF1? I know that I could get my EMT when i get up there but I didnt know about those. I see that you are from Glenn Dale, How is it there? Do you guys have live ins? I like Glenn Dale but the only thing i don't like about it is that there is no truck company but I would love riding the rescue squad! Thank you again and I look forward to talking to you soon again.
    He also likes yellow school bus....err fire apparatus and helping elderly people cross the street.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Uh Huh...........

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    He also likes yellow school bus....err fire apparatus and helping elderly people cross the street.

Yeah, If you Remember, Me and Billy Bob were Boy Scouts, way back when. Well our Boy Scout Training got my Butt Whopped real good the other day. We wuz sittin' out front of the station and noticed this old lady standing on the Street Corner. We figured we'd hekp out, so we jumped up and ran over to her. We said we'd help her across the street, and she said no, she'd be OK. Well, we helped her cross the street anyway. In the process, she beat the heck out of me, yelling and screaming that she didn't want to cross the street..........
    Last edited by hwoods; 04-03-2010 at 11:33 PM.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

55 Years & Still Rolling

Post Weeeeellllllllll.............

It's important to understand that this is a Different World here. What you can and can't do is up to the Individual VFD that you join. That's as far as if you can live in or not and other "Local" stuff. When you head out the door on a call, you then have to satisfy the County's requirements, and Training is a part of that. Almost all VFDs will have you get your EMT-B First, and worry about Fire later. For Squads, you'll need your EMT, Fire I, and then get Rescue Tech next. You have to demonstrate your ability at each step (EMT, Fire I, Rescue Tech, Truck Ops, etc.) as you move along. I wouldn't plan on riding a Squad or Truck in your first year...........
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Harve, question about PGC.

Generally, what do they look for in a possible candidate to live in. I would have my EMT-B and FFI/FFII plus A.A.S in Entry-Level Firefighting by the time it becomes an option. Do they generally take inexperienced people, or do they like the "trained" ones too?

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up And..........

Quote Originally Posted by CGITCH View Post

Generally, what do they look for in a possible candidate to live in. I would have my EMT-B and FFI/FFII plus A.A.S in Entry-Level Firefighting by the time it becomes an option. Do they generally take inexperienced people, or do they like the "trained" ones too?

No one ever got turned down because they have Training. Get (If Possible) National Pro Board Certification for whatever training you have. NBFSPQ Certs are accepted as meeting our Standards with no problems. When someone presents Out of State Training Credentials, that State's Training is compared with ours, and if is acceptable, you are certified in Maryland. Everyone is actively recruiting, and if you Have a Clean Background and Pass the Physical, you're in.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I know the EMT will be national registry. And all fire certifications are proboard accepted, or however that works. The college degree is of course just the college degree, it's accpeted everywhere. Also, would they put me in a "officer" position sooner? Or how does that part work?

Forum Member

I'm the membership chairman for Station 40 (Brandywine) in PG County. Our live in members must have Firefighter and EMT classes prior to becoming a live-in member unless you are an active member in good standing within the department, and is currently taking the classes. We run a Engine Company, Rescue Engine, Rescue Squad, Brush Truck, BLS Ambulance and a BLS/ALS Paramedic Ambulance (PA staffed by County Personnel).

Forum Member

Live In Requirements (for Station 40)

Fire Side- Firefighter I/EMT-B (all new Firefighters in Prince George's County, must obtain Maryland EMT-B within the first 30 months of joining)

EMS Side- EMT-B (all new EMT's must obtain Maryland EMT-B within the first 18 months of joining), EVOC if wanting to drive...

Currently we only have one live-in member and he is our Lt...

MembersZone Subscriber

I know the EMT will be national registry. And all fire certifications are proboard accepted, or however that works. The college degree is of course just the college degree, it's accpeted everywhere. Also, would they put me in a "officer" position sooner? Or how does that part work?
    Don't get in too much of a hurry to become an officer. Learn the job, learn the first due, and learn the PG county SOP's. Don't expect to be an officer for a while at most stations.

As to "how that part works," it's different at each station. There are minimum county standards that include training and time. In addition, there may be station requirements that are higher. Once you meet those requirements, some stations elect all officers, some elect the chief and he appoints the rest, some are in between.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    Don't get in too much of a hurry to become an officer. Learn the job, learn the first due, and learn the PG county SOP's. Don't expect to be an officer for a while at most stations.

As to "how that part works," it's different at each station. There are minimum county standards that include training and time. In addition, there may be station requirements that are higher. Once you meet those requirements, some stations elect all officers, some elect the chief and he appoints the rest, some are in between.
    I was just inquiring. Just trying to get a feel for things before I can start going after things in 10 months. The only way I would end up in PG county is if for some reason I decide to pursue a four-year full time and go to college out there. I like the concept of it though, it's kind of surprising it hasn't caught on more.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    It's important to understand that this is a Different World here. What you can and can't do is up to the Individual VFD that you join. That's as far as if you can live in or not and other "Local" stuff. When you head out the door on a call, you then have to satisfy the County's requirements, and Training is a part of that. Almost all VFDs will have you get your EMT-B First, and worry about Fire later. For Squads, you'll need your EMT, Fire I, and then get Rescue Tech next. You have to demonstrate your ability at each step (EMT, Fire I, Rescue Tech, Truck Ops, etc.) as you move along. I wouldn't plan on riding a Squad or Truck in your first year...........
    I wasn't expecting to get on a squad or truck within my first year, it's just where I want to get to down the road.

Forum Member

I am interested in doing a live in as well. I already kind of got the process started.

On the other hand though, are there any physical fitness requirments for MFRI or the fire depts? Do they have a fitness test? If they do I would assume situps, pushups and a run? Anywhere I can get this information? I already looked at the MFRI website, etc.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nick77 View Post
    I am interested in doing a live in as well. I already kind of got the process started.

On the other hand though, are there any physical fitness requirments for MFRI or the fire depts? Do they have a fitness test? If they do I would assume situps, pushups and a run? Anywhere I can get this information? I already looked at the MFRI website, etc.

Thanks.
    If joining as a volunteer, you must pass a stress test/physical. The stress test/physical is done by an outside vendor, it is free of charge, its paid for by the County budget. As of right now, you have to go to two different places for this. Usually takes a whole day to do, due to the outside vendor being the only County contract for Fire/EMS, Police, Sheriff's Office, Public Works, and CDL... You would basically have to take a whole day off of work. The results may take upto a few weeks to get back to the Fire Commission, once passed you will receive your PGFD I.D. number. Basically the physical part is a treadmill for 12 minutes, breathing exercises and a regular physical, no running, push ups or sit ups

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    emergency medical services are 75% of our workload. Everyone rides the ambulance
    boooooooooo
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RescueEngine40 View Post
    If joining as a volunteer, you must pass a stress test/physical. The stress test/physical is done by an outside vendor, it is free of charge, its paid for by the County budget. As of right now, you have to go to two different places for this. Usually takes a whole day to do, due to the outside vendor being the only County contract for Fire/EMS, Police, Sheriff's Office, Public Works, and CDL... You would basically have to take a whole day off of work. The results may take upto a few weeks to get back to the Fire Commission, once passed you will receive your PGFD I.D. number. Basically the physical part is a treadmill for 12 minutes, breathing exercises and a regular physical, no running, push ups or sit ups

Thank you for your reply. I plan to join as a live-in. Do you know if the live-in has to do the stress test? I appreciate the help and reply.

I am workin pretty hard to get in shape for this. I need to create a workout pretty much and just stick to it instead of going to the gym on and off. Running is obviously a key essential part to training and to the job. I am recovering from a minor injury with my left elbow/arm (fell from a ladder, of all things...) and so I am trying to recover as fast as I can with that so I can hop to it. I need to create a steady diet as well. Once I regain strength and what not, I'll start to work on some more upperbody stuff as I was before this happend. Thanks for the help!

Forum Member

it doesn't matter if you are a new volunteer or an old volunteer coming back into the department, all operational members must take the physical and stress test. You do not have to do it every year though.

Forum Member

Wink

Hey kid stay away from PG County. They will have you doing things you never dream of!!!

If you like yellow trucks it is ok, I guess. :-)

Forum Member

I heard that about PG too, among other things...
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Well..........

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    boooooooooo

You could always go to Mountgummery County.............
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information