Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What do and are explorers ?

I know that explorers are like youth members of a fire department, but I never really knew what they do? I am 16 , in California, and just wondering what exactly explorers do, because my city's fire department has an explorer program, and it seems pretty interesting?
    also, I hear different things like Jr,Firefighters. What are junior firefighters? are they different from explorers?
    any info on explorers and junior firefighters would be great. Thanks everyone

Forum Member

Try a search. There's several threads on here already with that...
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Many fire departments have some sort of junior firefighter program and they go by different names. However, a true Explorer program is attached to a fire department but is actually an official program of the Boy Scouts of America. The fire department runs the Explorer post but the post must adhere to certain rules, regulations, and membership requirements as outlined by the BSA.

There are also Explorer posts in other fields besides firefighting. Some law enforcement agencies, among others, also host Explorer posts. Check out the link for more info...

http://www.learningforlife.org/exploring/index.html

As far as what Explorers do, some of that is up to the host department and how active or involved their Explorer post is. BSA's regulations do provide some specific guidelines regarding certain hazardous activities (I think Explorers are generally prohibited from live burn training, using power tools, working at heights, etc. Someone correct me if I'm off the mark here). But otherwise, they participate in much of the training that the fire department does and are allowed to perform some support functions on the fireground.
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 04-01-2010 at 06:52 AM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Thread Information