Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Looking for federal q

Im from a lower budgetted volunteer department in arkansas. We recently had our first due pumper go down. The cost to replace the truck was more feasable than replacing the clutch again. We purchased a 1989 model from jacksonville beach florida. We have outfitted it the best our budget will allow. Our budget is currently tied up purchasing equipment to make this pumper iso compliant. It was wired for a q and has a large wire sticking up out of the bumper (pedistial mount) i am looking for a q to make this truck complete emergency equipment wise. If anyone would like to donate one that may be laying around it would greatly be appreciated or i would be willing to pay up to $200.00 for one. I know thats way cheaper than there worth but out neighboring department just got a 1987 pierce given to them from a department in delawaire fully stocked and ready to go all they did was pay to have is shipped so i thought someone might be nice enough to help me out with a much smaller problem. Thanks to anyone who may help.

Sorry, but you are not going to find one for $200. Look on eBay, they go for upwards of $500 to $1000, depending on the condition, and I have even seen them go for $1500 or more on there.

At the fire flea markets, they go for even more than that!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by bohickey View Post
    Im from a lower budgetted volunteer department in arkansas. We recently had our first due pumper go down. The cost to replace the truck was more feasable than replacing the clutch again. We purchased a 1989 model from jacksonville beach florida. We have outfitted it the best our budget will allow. Our budget is currently tied up purchasing equipment to make this pumper iso compliant. It was wired for a q and has a large wire sticking up out of the bumper (pedistial mount) i am looking for a q to make this truck complete emergency equipment wise. If anyone would like to donate one that may be laying around it would greatly be appreciated or i would be willing to pay up to $200.00 for one. I know thats way cheaper than there worth but out neighboring department just got a 1987 pierce given to them from a department in delawaire fully stocked and ready to go all they did was pay to have is shipped so i thought someone might be nice enough to help me out with a much smaller problem. Thanks to anyone who may help.

You have to be kidding us, right?

No way `Jose will you get a working Q for the price you suggest.

check here -->>> www.sirenman.com
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

you may all be right but the way i see it is my neighbor got a new to them pumper mostly equipped just given to them and it came with a q and a powercall (which we dont usually hear around here) so if you never ask you will never know if someone would or not but thanks and i have thought about the flea markets but we dont have any here that usually keep firetruck parts. and ebay is usually someone who bought a truck and just wants to make as much money off the stuff they can take off of it as possible. im not new to this rodeo, and yes 200 may be low as i said but if you dont ask you will never know.

you may all be right but the way i see it is my neighbor got a new to them pumper mostly equipped just given to them and it came with a q and a powercall (which we dont usually hear around here) so if you never ask you will never know if someone would or not but thanks and i have thought about the flea markets but we dont have any here that usually keep firetruck parts. and ebay is usually someone who bought a truck and just wants to make as much money off the stuff they can take off of it as possible. im not new to this rodeo, and yes 200 may be low as i said but if you dont ask you will never know.
    Isn't that the idea?

Forum Member

Default found one

a special thanks to a dept in western tennessee. i didnt even have to pay shipping as im going there sunday to pick it up. thanks for all the replies though.

Quote Originally Posted by captoldtimer
    you have to be kidding us, right?
    No way `jose will you get a working q for the price you suggest.
    Quote Originally Posted by bohickey
    a special thanks to a dept in western tennessee. I didnt even have to pay shipping as im going there sunday to pick it up. Thanks for all the replies though.
    priceless !!!!!
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    priceless !!!!!
    They probably felt sorry for that department and had one that was taking up space, so there you are.

All our apparatus that is going out has everything on it, lights, siren, tools and appliances, air in the tires, wind in the windshield, etc.,

Forum Member

love the wind in the windshield !! that was great. So we went and got the q today and brought it back. We put it on the bumper and attached the wiring. The brake seams a little worn but i dont plan on using the brake much .... however it does seem a little dull in its look what do you use to polish chrome or whatever its made of back to a good looking shine ??? its not real bad and there is no rust but just seems a little dull

MembersZone Subscriber

love the wind in the windshield !! that was great. So we went and got the q today and brought it back. We put it on the bumper and attached the wiring. The brake seams a little worn but i dont plan on using the brake much .... however it does seem a little dull in its look what do you use to polish chrome or whatever its made of back to a good looking shine ??? its not real bad and there is no rust but just seems a little dull
    Your local auto parts store should have some chrome polish that'll do the job.

Forum Member

we use chrome polish to polish chrome.

never dull works pretty good too

It will clean up. Be sure to take the rotor cover off and clean the rotor as well. I wouldn't worry about the brake. Years back the Q's we had the break didn't function well. It will coast down, growl some and stop eventually.

MembersZone Subscriber

A Q has a brake?

Forum Member

Our Q's have a Jake Brake.
    Leroy140 Fairfield, CT Local 1426

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    A Q has a brake?
    I've see people step on the Q foot pedal instead of the brake!

I was involved in our last used apparatus sale, and it was originally going out with all of the equipment as the purchaser was going to be refurbish it, but not put back on the line. When that fell through, plan B was that it left to head towards the crusher. I'm sure the Q didn't go to the crusher, but I was disappointed that we did not grab it off for ourselves.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well congrates there are alot of very friendly and helpful fire departmetns around the country. Wish we woudl fine one willing to help our department get a walk in rescue for our county we need one bad. Pick up trucks don't work very well for that purpose lol.

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    Well congrates there are alot of very friendly and helpful fire departmetns around the country. Wish we woudl fine one willing to help our department get a walk in rescue for our county we need one bad. Pick up trucks don't work very well for that purpose lol.

Contact UPS or FED-EX and see if they will donate your department one of their delivery vehicles. It's a start!!

MembersZone Subscriber

wow cool I never thought about them. Thanks for the idea. I wonder if any of the moving rental trucks like Budget would donate one. I'll have to look into that area. Thanks again for the idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

An old beverage truck could also work.

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    wow cool I never thought about them. Thanks for the idea. I wonder if any of the moving rental trucks like Budget would donate one. I'll have to look into that area. Thanks again for the idea.
    Have to be careful with those- the GVW of them is not very high, especially if you start loading it with rescue tools, etc.

Many departments have had very good luck with Coke and Pepsi getting old beverage trucks donated.

Thread Information