Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Russ Anderson Litter Wheel QUESTION?

Looking for a universal litter wheel for wilderness rescue.Any insight on litter wheels in general.Pros and Cons.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Love our "Big Wheel" PMI's Cascade Terrain Master. http://shop.pmirope.com/patient-care...aspx?pageID=47

Anyways, stay away from the large bulky kind with handles; http://www.rescueresponse.com/store/...tterwheel.html
    I find them too bulky, takes up A LOT of space on your rig and while the handles are "nice" they sure add a lot to lug around.

The simple kind like the PMI one are small, light and easy enough to use.

Another thing, get the fat wheel type. The bike tire style are too thin if you got to move over actual terrain. I am sure the bike wheel style has it's applications, probably on smooth surfaces.

Forum Member

Hey Coldfront
    We use one the handled versions. I would agree with Fireman about the simplicity of the PMI version. We are lucky to have enough storage on the rescue to stow the litter wheel. With a little help, these things will go over anything. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

here's my .02.

i've had experience with a few varieties of wheels over the years and here are some thoughts i've had

1) skinny tires (bmx type) and handles work well but are more unstable but i don't remember having too much problem. we use to use them for extended carryouts in the backcountry of several miles w/o problems. they are much easier to carry into the backcountry and on helicopters if needed.
    2) fat tires w/o handles: the roll great but with a heavy pt and tight trail (ie no side litter tenders) the front and back litter tenders get worked pretty hard trying to keep the thing balanced. with a couple side tenders it is much easier.
    3) fat tires w/ handles: ideal but as lyman notes they do add a considerable amount of lugging around. i see this as more of a space issue on the rig and possibly in a helicopter. as far as access to the pt though we will typically just load up the litter with our rigging/medical gear/etc and wheel it to the pt.
    4) fat tires and snow: try and avoid it. put the pt in a plastic stokes or sked and slide them like ski patrollers do. unless that is you are just wheeling them over flat, easy terrain with side tenders...

-stickboy

Never thought about the snow and fat tire litter, we don't get that here, interesting point.

If you are using the no handle type for a long haul, girth hitching a prussic cord as a grab loop to each corner helps from having to bend low while walking.

most of the trails around here are relatively bumpy so the prusik around the corners wouldn't give the control the tenders need so what we typically do is put a longer rope/cord around the front and tie several hand hold loops in it 10' out or so and spaced about 8-10' apart so a crew can be the motor via that cord and the tenders on the litter are strictly for balance and lifting up/over roots/rocks/etc... takes some coordination but seems to work pretty well. we do rotate tenders regularly just for that fact of bending low that you mention...

good discussion, thanks,
    stickboy

Thread Information