Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default 16 week EMT-B vs accelerated 8 week course?

Hello all, Im going to attend a fire academy at a local community college(figure it will give me a heads up) and they said I can get my EMT cert out the way and by the time the academy comes up, i'll only have to go 3 days a week, since Im already EMT certified. Sounds good to me, but my question is that the normal length of the course is 16 weeks, but they have an accelerated 8 week course beginning soon and i'd really like to do it, so does anyone think that would be a problem? Obviously it's going to be harder and quicker, but I would just like to hear what firefighters have to say about it! Or anyone who is EMT certified actually.

Thanks a lot for any advice you can shoot my way.

Forum Member

Don't do the accelerated 8 week course. Honestly, EMT-Basic is a lot of knowledge to take in for anyone without prior medical experience, and you really need to allow yourself to absorb that material and allow plenty of time for studying and fine-tuning all the information. I personally hate the concept of an 8 week course, because it (typically) just shoots out EMTs that are EMTs to be Firefighters, not EMTs who want to be EMTs. It's a class that you need to take your time with, and ensure that you are good at what you are learning, because you're dealing with people's lives much more often than you are on a fire scene. I originally took the EMT-Basic class because I wanted to be a Firefighter, not because I wanted to be an EMT. But I also realized that I would do a lot more for my community being an EMT than I would a Firefighter, and found myself to actually enjoy EMS, so continued through my Paramedic class. I guess I'm really just saying, if you want to do it for the right reason, do the 16 week.

Forum Member

Thank you sir, I absolutely understand what you're saying, and everyone ive asked about it(even though you're the first professional) has said go the 16 week route for obvious reasons. However, as serious as I take EMT, I am doing it to become a firefighter, so Im not sure what you mean by "for the right reasons". I certainly dont want to be a half assed EMT, and I WONT, but I don't plan on being a career EMT, I do plan on being a career firefighter so are you saying in that case maybe I should contemplate the 8 week course? I love the fact that at least where I'm from, firefighters must be EMT, because they respond to mostly medical calls as opposed to fire calls so it's never going to be something I take lightly. How long was your course(EMT)?

Forum Member

I'm sorry, I worded that wrong. Seems you got it though, don't half-*** the class. EMS is a huge part of the Fire Service, and I'd personally have more respect for someone that went through the 16 week course and took the time to make sure that they knew what they were doing than the guy that rushed through with the 8 week course just to have the license. Somebody that's been pushed through a course just to have a license that they don't want to use isn't going to be as committed to that part of the job (EMS). My EMT-Basic class was one semester (16 weeks) and Paramedic was one year (two semesters and summer semester).

Forum Member

coming off of that, i want to get my emt-b but with work and school i dont have the time.

the 16 week class, is that mostly evenings or how does that work for the days you have to go each week? i would love to take the emt class to have it and open more doors for me but i need to find one that would fit my schedule.

what options are out there?

Forum Member

You'll have to check with whoever does your classes around where you live, such as local Community Colleges or maybe Hospitals. The Community College where I live offers a few Basic classes a semester (16 week long). They're all twice a week for 4 hours each night, then 75+ hours of ride time scheduled over the back half of the semester, at the student's choice for when and where. We have something like 20 different ALS departments/agencies within an hour of the college, so it's not too hard to find somwhere to ride. But that will all depend on your particular community's set-up.

Forum Member

Oh, so the classes aren't every day? I guess since they told me the fire academy class(FF1/FF2, Haz) is every day for 4 months, 8am-5pm, I figured the emt course was the same. That makes me feel a lot better haha.

Forum Member

Talking

The EMT basic class is 160 hour didactic plus around 40 hours ride along/ clinical time. Most are two nights a week for 3-4 hours and a few 8 hr saturdays for hands on training.

If you want to be a "career firefighter " in todays world you will need at least a basic. Many departments require Paramedic licensure within two years of hire. Those fire departments that run EMS have around 80% of their call volume as EMS calls. Do it right and don't ever stop learning medicine. I've been in EMS since 1971 and take around 80 hours of continuing education every year to stay at the top of my game.

Forum Member

There are 2 week EMT courses around as well. A freind of mine just did one here in Mass.

Forum Member

Personally I took an accelerated 8 week course, but I could see how it could be difficult for someone who has been out of school for awhile. My class lost a number of people because of that. We have the 14 day course here in Kansas as well. One of the guys on my volley dept. is taking that this summer; he's a college student so that works the best with him. He also is taking his FF1 and 2 concurrently in a accelerated format later the same month. But do what is most convenient for you. If that means 2, 8, or 16 weeks; to your state board it will all look the same.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan816 View Post
    Hello all, Im going to attend a fire academy at a local community college(figure it will give me a heads up) and they said I can get my EMT cert out the way and by the time the academy comes up, i'll only have to go 3 days a week, since Im already EMT certified. Sounds good to me, but my question is that the normal length of the course is 16 weeks, but they have an accelerated 8 week course beginning soon and i'd really like to do it, so does anyone think that would be a problem? Obviously it's going to be harder and quicker, but I would just like to hear what firefighters have to say about it! Or anyone who is EMT certified actually.

Thanks a lot for any advice you can shoot my way.
    Your already a certified EMT? Are they making you take the class again?

If your already certified I would do the 8 week course. If your not the 16 week course. Thats me.

And for the right reasons. Is don't just take it because you have to. To become a firefighter. Thats what I did half-assed the first half of my class. Did my ride-longs first code 3 that dropped I was hooked. I like EMS and am looking at going paramedic.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Good information to help me. I am not a big EMS person, but I think it's just because I am not comfortable with it yet. Seems like too much responsibility when you are helping to make sure someone lives or not by doing some sort of intervention. I also am trying to get my EMT certification so I can open up new doors to other jobs and to help me with getting on to a career department. EMS is a big thing today and seems like a must have even if you don't want much to do with it.

I imagine once I get the chance to do it and get comfortable, I'll start liking it more. Even after taking just first responder, I got a bit more comfortable with some of the medical items. With first responder being a 40 hour class, how many hours is the EMT-B class not including the in the field ride along time? Will recently taking the first responder class make it a little more easier when I take the EMT-B?

I will check with the community college I am attending now and see what I can sign up for to help me for the fall semester.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    Your already a certified EMT? Are they making you take the class again?

If your already certified I would do the 8 week course. If your not the 16 week course. Thats me.

And for the right reasons. Is don't just take it because you have to. To become a firefighter. Thats what I did half-assed the first half of my class. Did my ride-longs first code 3 that dropped I was hooked. I like EMS and am looking at going paramedic.
    No, I'm not currently EMT certified, never taken the class before and been out of school for a long while. Guess, I worded that wrong. If I don't take the 8 week course in june, then I have to wait like 3 more months to start the 16 week course, that's the only reason I would choose the 8 week.

Forum Member

Cowboy if you are already a certified First Responder, you should look into whether or not a bridge course is offered in your state. We offer them here in Kansas. They are just like a regular EMT-B course except they cut out all the basic stuff that a First Responder should already know, they still use the same books and everything. If memory serves me correctly, they are also shorter.

Forum Member

I'm not sure if there is a bridge class, but I will look around. That would be cool if thats available here.

Forum Member

I prefer to do the 16-week course over the 8-course because i learn better at a slower pace rather than just flying through it all and then theres a test...thats just my opinion...

Forum Member

Good info guys. I was going to attend ciemt here in Cali but I am now going to attend a 16 week comm. college course to assure myself that the material will stay with me. I too want to be a FF but if ems is needed, so be it. I'll do what it takes to better myself for my team and my community. Let's do this!

Forum Member

Stay out in the area that you are taking these courses. Don't come to the East Coast area as we don't accept any of that stuff. If we hire you we will train you our way and then we know that you know the program and drill!

Forum Member

No disrespect to the last poster, but I don't agree. I believe you should be cautious and make sure to get and maintain a national certification especially if you plan on working in another state a few years down the road. But, if you aren't planning on ever working in the state where you want to take the course, then don't take the course.

Here in Kansas, we mutually accept most state EMS certs, as long as you can successfully challenge our state boards. If your cert ain't recognized; the board of ems will give you some special consideration if you have a national certification. Kansas isn't the exception either, most state boards either recognize your certification or recognize it after passing their state exams. Case in point my FTO during my EMT course had been a Paramedic in PA and he had hopped around a few other states before that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Stay out in the area that you are taking these courses. Don't come to the East Coast area as we don't accept any of that stuff. If we hire you we will train you our way and then we know that you know the program and drill!
    That's not true about EMT. I work on the East Coast, in a large city not too far from you, and I know we give reciprocity. I also know that several departments in MD are the same way.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pipeman1822 View Post
    That's not true about EMT. I work on the East Coast, in a large city not too far from you, and I know we give reciprocity. I also know that several departments in MD are the same way.
    Virginia will do that for EMS provided it was from the same material as Virginia uses, no exceptions.

We will except what Maryland has certified as well.

Others, going to a community college does cut it here. Only official fire department training schools, which are fd sponsered, will get you a certification and you must be a firefighter in a fire department in Virginia and or Maryland if in that state.

We really don't care what you had taken or how many certifications you have from another state or so call fire academy that teaches the test and takes your money.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Virginia will do that for EMS provided it was from the same material as Virginia uses, no exceptions.

We will except what Maryland has certified as well.

Others, going to a community college does cut it here. Only official fire department training schools, which are fd sponsered, will get you a certification and you must be a firefighter in a fire department in Virginia and or Maryland if in that state.

We really don't care what you had taken or how many certifications you have from another state or so call fire academy that teaches the test and takes your money.
    O ok. I didn't know you were talking about fire certs. I know MD takes fire certs from other places if you're just volunteering though. Then they send you through their own academy if hired full-time. Don't know as much about VA though. I'm right in the middle of the both states, but know more people on the MD side than VA since the NoVa departments are pretty much all career whereas MD has a lot of vollys. We happen to have a lot of guys that volunteer on their off time in PG.

Forum Member

8 week emt course?? Thats like a death mill or some ****. What do they just teach you how to pass the national reg?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Itshotinhere View Post
    8 week emt course?? Thats like a death mill or some ****. What do they just teach you how to pass the national reg?
    No, they teach it to you faster with longer days. Instead of going twice a week for 4 hours or something you go for 8 hours each day. Or when I was in the academy, it was 8 hours/day, 5 days/week since it was considered a full time job where we were making a salary while attending. Before being hired full-time I already had it though after an 8-week class and it wasn't too hard at all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Itshotinhere View Post
    No but I am pretty sure thats what happens during the 2 weeks course I have seen posted here.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information