Forum Member

Default AFG Turndown Notice - Update

E-mail received two minutes ago...

From: AFG Program Office <newsletters@firegrantsupport.com>

Dear Assistant to Firefighters Grant Program Applicant:

With the FY 2010 Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) application period approaching, the AFG Program Office is aware some applicants are concerned about the disposition of their FY 2009 AFG application. We want to assure you that FY 2009 AFG turndown notices are being processed and are forthcoming. If your FY 2009 AFG application did not score in the competitive range, you will receive the turndown notice in ample time to adjust and strengthen your FY 2010 AFG application. The work you did to support your 2009 application can still be a useful resource for FY 2010 requests for assistance your department may submit.

Your continued interest in this program clearly demonstrates the need and resourcefulness of America's fire service. The Department of Homeland Security will continue to work closely with fire service organizations to support the vital work of our nation's firefighters.

Thank you again for your dedication and commitment.

AFG Program Office
    Apu
    http://www.SpringfieldFAS.org/
    http://www.VolunteerEMS.org/
    "The views expressed are my own."

Forum Member

I got the same: April 2 @ 0240 CST

I don't know if this is a clue and only sent to the ones that will be DJ'd or everyone who applied but not awarded.

I guess we will see.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

funny how they can send that out in bulk but it takes forever for the DJ's.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by medic190 View Post
    funny how they can send that out in bulk but it takes forever for the DJ's.....
    Agreed. But maybe this is just a message to all applicants.

Forum Member

The subject line: "AFG Turndown Notice - Update" gave me a flippin' heart attack.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GratefulEd View Post
    The subject line: "AFG Turndown Notice - Update" gave me a flippin' heart attack.
    I hear that. I figured it was the DJ I'd been waiting on, hoping it wasn't for the one I've been waiting to be awarded.

Forum Member

Cool Interesting

This notice was sent to a different email address I have.

Not the official email address I use for the grants and grant notifications.

It came to the email address I submitted for the AFG newsletter or whatever that monthly update is.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just checked my account and I did not recieve that notification 2:30PM MDT. Hopefully that is a positive thing for me!

Forum Member

You would only receive it if you are registered for the newsletters on FireGrantSupport.com.

MembersZone Subscriber

The telling thing - is this is only for computer DJ's. Are they now saying they won't have all the DJ's done?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    The telling thing - is this is only for computer DJ's. Are they now saying they won't have all the DJ's done?
    That's what our regional GMS said at the workshop. He said not to expect the DJ's to come out before the the 2010 grant guidance did.

He also said just concentrate on what you planned to write for 2010. I asked about it being nice to know where to put our efforts on before the guidance came out. Said they are not obligated to have the DJ's out before the 2010 program opens.

Of course he said that if the AFG did get extended to expect that grant writing fee policies to stay the same.

Anybody want to start a side wager on whether the DJ's come out before the guidance? Split between computer and peer? Or after the guidance comes out.

We have to be 3 miles past the line of demarcation to do that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Said they are not obligated to have the DJ's out before the 2010 program opens.
    Correct. By law, "award decisions for the FY 2009 program will be completed on or before September 30, 2010."

MembersZone Subscriber

I understand they are not obligated, I was just commenting on the workshop comments about everyone would know their status beforehand.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I understand they are not obligated, I was just commenting on the workshop comments about everyone would know their status beforehand.
    Itís enough to drive a man to drinking!!!! What is next? I really think that the AFG Regional Repís are doing the best they can with what they are getting. I bet if she could say it they are as frustrated as we are. If the problem lies with the contractors they hired then please do not let them get within a mile of the 2010 apps.
    Maybe it has not got to me yet but I have not received the TURN DOWN email. From what I gathered by reading it, it is about the same as a DJ or giving you a strong hint that maybe coming. Is that what you all are reading into it?

Forum Member

No, this was simply to advise everyone that things are not sitting still.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    I really think that the AFG Regional Repís are doing the best they can with what they are getting. I bet if she could say it they are as frustrated as we are. If the problem lies with the contractors they hired then please do not let them get within a mile of the 2010 apps.
    Like everywhere else, they are overworked and understaffed! FEMA and AFG staff have been tremendous! This is the best program out there and it is what the little kids want to be when they grow up!

Makes you wonder (even if for a second) if Congress is purposely behind this because AFG was running so smoothly and efficiently that it was giving our elected officials a black eye on the rest of their stuff!..... Naaaaaa!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GratefulEd View Post
    Almost had a chance to try out the new AED's provided by AFG (BOY, they really go above and beyond in help!!!)

Forum Member

We also received the same email today. However, we've received both our 1199A and 10 questions almost three weeks ago. I'm convinced after reading all the posts in here that everyone who has a grant request in probably got this email. At least, I hope that is the case. We're just being patient and getting spec's ready (three battery powered ambulance cots) so that if and when we receive the award, we are a ready to go to bid. I know it's hard to wait and be patient but patience is one of the true traits of being a firefighter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mccookfirechief View Post
    We also received the same email today. However, we've received both our 1199A and 10 questions almost three weeks ago. I'm convinced after reading all the posts in here that everyone who has a grant request in probably got this email. At least, I hope that is the case. We're just being patient and getting spec's ready (three battery powered ambulance cots) so that if and when we receive the award, we are a ready to go to bid. I know it's hard to wait and be patient but patience is one of the true traits of being a firefighter.
    What's the chance of getting a copy of your narrative? We definately need to replace ours.

Thanks

swacfd@juno.com

MembersZone Subscriber

"Turndown" must be the kinder, gentler AFG.....stick to our terms....DJ's.

What time does the maid come to "turndown" my bed?

Forum Member

Even with an award notice, I almost died when I saw "AFG - Turndown Notice" in my inbox. LOL..they should have sent that yesterday. It could have been a good April Fool's Joke.

Forum Member

Even better, we got the email and did not apply for a 2009 grant.

And the email came to an address we have not used in 2 years at least. The email addresses we have in the system were all updated in 2008.

Yup, well run system they have there....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    "Turndown" must be the kinder, gentler AFG.....stick to our terms....DJ's.

What time does the maid come to "turndown" my bed?
    Andy. You OK? Mixing your meds or something? Your funnybone is in an enlightend, angle or something. Almost,, English style. LOL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Andy. You OK? Mixing your meds or something? Your funnybone is in an enlightend, angle or something. Almost,, English style. LOL
    I think onebugle has graduated to that class of grant writers where "semantics" is becoming everything now. Welcome to the club Andy!I too thought to myself now wait a minute, my "banker" turns me down for a loan; a computer "rejects" my application.LOL! It seems as though DJ ( Dear John) is losing its appeal. Maybe we should coin a new acronym for DHS for DJs. How about "NTA" - Nope, Try Again!
    Last edited by ktb9780; 04-03-2010 at 02:17 PM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

New acroynms for a Dear John notice:

NTT- Not This Time
    RPG- Read Program Guidance
    BLNT - Better Luck Next Time
    MNY- Maybe Next Year
    IYD- In Your Dreams
    RUKM - Are you kidding me
    UHGTBK - You have got to be kidding
    NICFU- Not In The Cards For You

OMG- I have to get away from this computer. See what they have done to me with all this waiting?
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information