Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default new from Ireland

nice web site ye got going here... finding alot of good information even though im not a firefighter YET.... good to see the differences between the services across the waters..... My father was a firefighter for 25 years so learned alot from him.... I have applied for fire service in Ireland twice now and am hoping it will be third time lucky, have an interview on thursday 8th of april. So if any one feels like giving me some interview tips i'd be extremely grateful...... keep up the good work in the fire service

thanks for reading

Forum Member

gavin

have you read up on the fire services change programme ? look it up online

or a little bit on incident command?

do you know approximately the number of calls your brigade answers in a year? go visit a station and take notes on what they have - rta equipment and breathing apparatus tend to get most attention.

if you are really serious about it you should practice your interview technique -

I reckon the interviews are pretty similar throughout ireland - start asking around about what you are gonna be asked.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by uiscemac View Post
    gavin

have you read up on the fire services change programme ? look it up online

or a little bit on incident command?

do you know approximately the number of calls your brigade answers in a year? go visit a station and take notes on what they have - rta equipment and breathing apparatus tend to get most attention.

if you are really serious about it you should practice your interview technique -

I reckon the interviews are pretty similar throughout ireland - start asking around about what you are gonna be asked.
    yeah i've done the station tour with the station officer, i've even gone and done a tour of the county head quarters. i took a read over the fire fighters hand book also. like i said third time going throu interview so i know a lot of what kinda questions they ask. but as you know ye always get thrown nasty questions that stop you in your tracks

Forum Member

a good one thrown in could be: do you know the process a 999 (112) call takes from caller to the alarm bells going off at a given station? know where your call control centre is.

i was also asked about fire preventions (also part of the fire services change programme.. prevention being better than cure etc etc) ... two of the guys interviewing you will probably be Assist Chief Fire Officers - but one might be preventions - it wouldnt take too much homework to find out who is on the interview panel and google them to see their areas of expertise etc etc

in dublin i presume you go through fire school and then get appointed a station or can you apply to be in a station.. how does it work?

mac

Forum Member

a good one thrown in could be: do you know the process a 999 (112) call takes from caller to the alarm bells going off at a given station? know where your call control centre is.

i was also asked about fire preventions (also part of the fire services change programme.. prevention being better than cure etc etc) ... two of the guys interviewing you will probably be Assist Chief Fire Officers - but one might be preventions - it wouldnt take too much homework to find out who is on the interview panel and google them to see their areas of expertise etc etc

in dublin i presume you go through fire school and then get appointed a station or can you apply to be in a station.. how does it work?

mac
    i am applying for a position with a retained service in my local town, as for dublin i think you go through fire school and get assigned to a station...... as for interview board i've had same board twice now, assistant chief from county im applying for another from different county, and a retired chief. to be honest he's most difficult

Forum Member

retained?
    yeah i was retained too.
    1. what would you do if your tv went up in flames in your living room?

2. if you got in would you desire promotion/

3.can you think of an incident in your life where you had to react quickly in an emergency type situation ?

4. what have you done in your life that you are most proud of ?

5. can you explain how the week on - week off system works in retained and ust how much time away from your area do you think you can take ?

6. was there an serious incident in this area in the last few years?

(i went through two retained interviews to land the retained job - i went on to becomefull time some years later)

g'luck

Forum Member

retained?
    yeah i was retained too.
    1. what would you do if your tv went up in flames in your living room?

2. if you got in would you desire promotion/

3.can you think of an incident in your life where you had to react quickly in an emergency type situation ?

4. what have you done in your life that you are most proud of ?

5. can you explain how the week on - week off system works in retained and ust how much time away from your area do you think you can take ?

6. was there an serious incident in this area in the last few years?

(i went through two retained interviews to land the retained job - i went on to becomefull time some years later)

g'luck
    Thanks for all you help was much appreciated........
    I ended up having two female officers on the interview board that i had met on a trip to the county headquarters, they also knew my old man who was a firefighter, so they instantly told me i would not be asked any questions on the local station or fire safety procedures because they said i would be too well schooled by my father....... I mainly got asked on how i would like to see the fire service change, i.e safety in schools. I was also questioned on fire services crossing into neighbouring counties, i.e the problems with it..... so as you can imagine everything i studied for nothing came up. But as far as im concerned it went really well...... So again thanks for your help

Forum Member

they really got in depth with you
    thats never a bad sign.
    the safety in schools and what not is mentioned in the fire services change programme (did you get a chance to read it?)

anyways from the info i have i would gamble you got the job.

best of luck
    mac

Forum Member

they really got in depth with you
    thats never a bad sign.
    the safety in schools and what not is mentioned in the fire services change programme (did you get a chance to read it?)

anyways from the info i have i would gamble you got the job.

best of luck
    mac
    yeah mate i had a look over the change programme and mentioned it to them while answering a question, they quickly sat up in their seats and we had a long kinda informal chat about it, they seemed impresed that i had researched into it. Wouldn't mind but when i toured my local station he warned me not to go into that with them that they'd try and catch me out, but i thought it went well

Forum Member

well?
    did you get it?

Thread Information