Forum Member

Default Academic degree / portfolio assesment

Hi everyone,
    battled all my way through DoD/ProBoard Fire Officer IV now. Still miss Inspector III (scheduled for May) instructor III and DO other than pumper (and see no real reason to do it). Have also a Civil engineering degree from German college (for sure not nationally recognized in the U.S.).

Trying to work on making my portfolio a little more attractive and consider getting a U.S. recognized degree. Goal is to find on a mid-term perspective either a (long term) contract job with a DoD contractor a job somewhere in the middle East or a job in an international organization such as U.N.

Many of these organizations require/desire an academic degree. As I am neither a U.S. citizen nor reside in the U.S., I cannot (and don't want to) go through a who;le university/college resident program.

Question: Has anyone made some experiences with portfolio assessments, meaning a university/college looks at you fire fighter certs and than determines what kind of competencies you are still missing and which classes you have to take to get close to an academic degree. Those classes should than be available through distant learning.

Any past experience/lessons learned is appreciated.

Regards

Zig

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zig123 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    battled all my way through DoD/ProBoard Fire Officer IV now. Still miss Inspector III (scheduled for May) instructor III and DO other than pumper (and see no real reason to do it). Have also a Civil engineering degree from German college (for sure not nationally recognized in the U.S.).

Trying to work on making my portfolio a little more attractive and consider getting a U.S. recognized degree. Goal is to find on a mid-term perspective either a (long term) contract job with a DoD contractor a job somewhere in the middle East or a job in an international organization such as U.N.

Many of these organizations require/desire an academic degree. As I am neither a U.S. citizen nor reside in the U.S., I cannot (and don't want to) go through a who;le university/college resident program.

Question: Has anyone made some experiences with portfolio assessments, meaning a university/college looks at you fire fighter certs and than determines what kind of competencies you are still missing and which classes you have to take to get close to an academic degree. Those classes should than be available through distant learning.

Any past experience/lessons learned is appreciated.

Regards

Zig

Zig, You can try some online accreditied programs. Not advocating them, but a degree at Columbia Southern Univ should be easy enough to obtain. After you contact them, you can fax them your certs and any credit hours you have earned, they'll prepare a "degree program" showing you what they will transfer and what you need to do to complete the program. Once you have taken one class with them online (kind of easy and at your own pace) you can send them all the resume type stuff... been a fire officer for X ammount of years, hold arson investigator job, that kind of stuff and they will evaluate it for "life experience" credits that will take the place of other classes you need. Check it out, the application process was free for me, don't know if that is because our city is a learning partner with them or not.

Thread Information