Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Junior firefighter

My chief said that when I turn 16 he might see about getting me a pager because I will be able to get my driver license and go to fires. So I was wondering should I respond to the station and ride in the truck to the fire or should I just drive to the fire in my pov, also if I got to the station before anybody else would I be allowed to drive one of the fire trucks at age sixteen?

Forum Member

Ask the Chief, and he better tell you no you can't drive the truck

MembersZone Subscriber

The only one who can answer those questions is your Chief. Whether you go to the station or scene depends on your department's SOPs. Some departments don't allow anybody except an officer to respond to the scene, some don't allow anybody to go to the scene and others allow anybody to go to the scene.

Not sure where you are from, but don't expect to drive the engines. Again, this is up to your chief, but around here there are insurance and legal issues with allowing a 16 yr old to drive, in addition to safety issues. You have a lot of training to do and need to get experience as a firefighter before you worry about driving. You also need to get some driving experience before driving anything with lights and sirens.

Also, be prepared to hear a lot of comments about a 16 yr old not being old enough to fight fires. I'll leave that one alone.

Forum Member Explorer Asst Chief Fern's Avatar

At my department we are only allowed to respond to the station to ride in the trucks. POV's are not to go to the scene because of traffic and limited space (what if a mutual aid department shows up and they need to park their apparatus where your POV is?). Besides, isn't your gear kept at the station? If so, you would need to go there anyways. I'm 99.9% positive that you will NOT be able to drive the fire trucks OR put lights and sirens on your POV because you have not gone through an Emergency Vehicle Operator's class.
    Explorer Assistant Chief Alisha Fern

Leadership: The ability to guide, direct, and influence others.

Leadership can be thought of as a capacity to define oneself to others in a way that clarifies and expands a vision of the future.

alisha.fern@firehousemail.com

No driving trucks what so ever. A 2000 lbs. P.O.S. car is one thing, A 20,000 lbs. fire engine with lights and sirens is out of your league. If it were my call, you would respond to the station no matter what. I won't even start on some of my other feelings about this situation.

In some cases as we've seen, the Chief may not even be able to properly answer this question. Driving the apparatus is an obvious no, you may want to consider looking up your state's child labor laws regarding junior ff's. This will answer most questions that you have.
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Respond to the station, no exceptions. If you arrive first, open the doors, get your gear and get on the truck. Theres absolutely no chance you'll be driving a fire truck in the near future, I would think. Good luck!
    When I am called to duty, God
    Whenever flames may rage,
    Give me the strength to save some life
    Whatever be its age.

Never forget the heroes of 9/11

Forum Member

Your department's standard operating procedures will determine if you need to go to the station first. I would think you would.

I highly doubt you'd get to drive the fire engine. You need to be a legal adult and be experienced. The driver also handles the water supply.

Forum Member

This is a mainly insurance thing and what the chief decides on at my department you can't drive anything untill your 21 but insurance varies where you go.

Thread Information