Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up You Read It HERE First, Folks

"Sea-Dog Beer". Get it while its still cold!

New local beer marks the Canadian Naval Centennial

Shelley Lipke Staff writer The Lookout, 6 April 2010

When the Canadian Naval Centennial Committee put a call out for a signature beer to honour the navy’s 100th anniversary, without hesitation, Vancouver Island Brewery, jumped on board. Four months later, Sea Dog Amber Ale was developed, bottled, packaged and distributed. Last week it officially launched at the Pacific Fleet Club and is now available in government and private liquor stores, bars and pubs throughout Vancouver Island and the lower mainland.

“We are very proud of the navy when it comes to their 100-year commitment
    of protecting our waters and our sovereignty,” said Jim Dodds, general manager of Vancouver Island Brewery. “I think it’s a good fit between the Pacific naval base and Vancouver Island Brewery right here on the Island.
    We are certainly proud to be a part of this with Sea Dog beer.”

The creation of the brew began with a trip to CFB Esquimalt to learn naval
    lingo and to generate a brand. “Sea Dog came up as a name, meaning an experienced sailor, and everybody loved it,” said Dodds. “For the individual sailor this beer gives them something to hang their hat on.”

The label incorporates navy blue, a burly sailor overlooking a Canadian
    frigate sailing the Strait of Juan de Fuca with the Olympic mountains on the horizon. Each six pack of Sea Dog Amber Ale comes with a Canadian Naval Centennial sticker. Sea Dog is a deep amber ale with a floral hop aroma and full malt flavour. Handcrafted using chocolate and crystal malts and a signature blend of hops, these natural ingredients are fermented and cellared
    at low temperatures to produce a unique smooth finish.

While Dodds was in the community promoting the beer to pubs and stores, he
    was amazed at the many links to the navy. “I never realized how many people were associated with the navy until I got involved with this beer. I started talking to the reps and individuals who would carry it and it seemed everyone had a brother, uncle, grandfather or family member who was in the navy,” said Dodds. “To become an official title beer of this event and its related celebrations is an honour,” he adds.

PHOTOCREDIT:

The navy on the Pacific Coast now has its own ale to quench the thirst of sailors. Cmdre Ron Lloyd, Commander Canadian Fleet Pacific, and Jim Dodds,
    General Manager of Vancouver Island Brewery, prepare to crack open a bottle of Sea Dog Amber Ale, which was created to celebrate the Canadian Naval
    Centennial. See the story on page 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Makes one more very good reason to go home!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    "Sea-Dog Beer". Get it while its still cold!

New local beer marks the Canadian Naval Centennial

Shelley Lipke Staff writer The Lookout, 6 April 2010

When the Canadian Naval Centennial Committee put a call out for a signature beer to honour the navy’s 100th anniversary, without hesitation, Vancouver Island Brewery, jumped on board. Four months later, Sea Dog Amber Ale was developed, bottled, packaged and distributed. Last week it officially launched at the Pacific Fleet Club and is now available in government and private liquor stores, bars and pubs throughout Vancouver Island and the lower mainland.

Forum Member

There must have been a directive somewhere in the Canadian military where if they deal with US sailors,invite them over,get a few beers in them and THEN talk business.
    In USS Mahan DDG 42,we'd fight to go trade paint for whatever we needed or other urgent naval affairs when les Canadiennes(stress marks won't work for this terminal) came to Charleston to do winter upkeep on their ships.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    There must have been a directive somewhere in the Canadian military where if they deal with US sailors,invite them over,get a few beers in them and THEN talk business.
    In USS Mahan DDG 42,we'd fight to go trade paint for whatever we needed or other urgent naval affairs when les Canadiennes(stress marks won't work for this terminal) came to Charleston to do winter upkeep on their ships.
    Oh but of course! We getcha all warmed up and confused and then "encourage" you do sign things eheheheheheheee

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Oh but of course! We getcha all warmed up and confused and then "encourage" you do sign things eheheheheheheee
    That's okay.I never signed my real name to a thing anyway.There may or may not still be a paint chit signed by one "BMSN Chet Nimitz,USN" on board a Canadian frigate.But I wouldn't know anything about that.
    You should have seen what we did when the budget cuts made everyone stop trading in 88.There were a couple ships in Charleston that wouldn't trade with our deck apes no matter what we wanted or had to trade,but they'd trust our snipes.Go figure.
    Since another guy and I had been Fireman in previous lives before moving up to First Division and I still had a BTFN patch on some of my uniforms despite the LTJG's orders to change...

I still had a BTFN patch on some of my uniforms despite the LTJG's orders to change...
    Ya, I'm kinda stubborn like that too. My trade (admin) and finance got amalgamated back in Jan 99. Most of my uniforms still have the Admin Branch trade qualification on the sleeve, and until they issued me the new CADPAT BDU's, I still wore the Admin epaulette shoulder titles. Had me a WO who used to take them off my jacket when I wasn't looking, but when he wasn't looking I'd always replace them with another set. Being an Army Geek, I had lots of spares. We played that game for several months until he got posted out.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information