Forum Member

Default Question on computer 'format'

We got awarded this year for hose project, et. al... In my application I had requested a desktop computer (and software) to improve fire reporting and record keeping. One of my Commissioners suggested a laptop instead (after we were awarded) and the more I think about it, the better the idea is... I'd not only have the unit for fire reporting and records / inventory management, but also can use it for things like our annual mask fit test and for classroom training (power point) Could even bring it into the other room when we set up our EOC for long duration events...

The question I have is: since I (believe I) specified a 'desktop' computer, would I have to 'amend' my request to a laptop? Ultimately, I will have met the scope of the project, just changed the format from desktop to laptop (and the research I've found is I can get a better computer for a better price this way!)

I know the GMS guys are extremely overworked and I'd hate to bother them with a menial question if I didn't really have to... Wondering what others think... Thanks! Ben

Forum Member

Make sure you add in there a docking station? So that you can use the laptop as a desktop computer complete with full size monitor, keyboard and mouse........liek we used to have in the office for some people....

As for the need to change your request - you got me! lol.....I don't 'do' that kind of stuff.....

Forum Member

If you specified a desktop, you absolutely need to get approval to change the scope of your project.

As for the issue with changing it, there should be no problem at all as long as you justify it and the costs are reasonable.

Thread Information