Forum Member

Default Mass CPAT - Rescue event

Hey all, looking to get some advice on the Rescue event for the Mass CPAT. First time around, I had some trouble dragging the bag (the dummy is not used for this). As in the video on the Mass HRD website, I ran forward while dragging the bag behind me, but eery few steps it would hit my back foot, stopping me and killing my momentum.

I have thought about going backwards, and dragging the bag between my legs, but wanted to get advice from those who have done the event and have had success. From my recollection, we cannot lift the bag up and carry it as is allowed in other states' events. If this is wrong, correct me.

Also, for those that don't know, we cannot stand straight up and have to basically squat under a four foot ceiling while dragging.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Forum Member

I looked up the Mass HRD website, and watched their video of the ELPAT, which is what I assume you're referring too.
    http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=aftermin...10ff&csid=Eoaf
    At about 7:43 they show the "rescue" event, which is the simulated victim drag.
    Can't really see any better way to do it than what they show in the video.
    Gotta crouch low and drag it behind ya.
    You could do a modified crawl/crouch I guess.
    You could get on hands and knees, face the mannequin, and drag it in "spurts" behind you.
    It looks to be very light weight, maybe 80lbs? I didn't catch the weight in the video.
    Practice doing single leg lunges, and "duck walks" to get used to having to crouch like that.
    It's only 40-50 feet or so, shouldn't be too hard.

Overall, their test has multiple 30 second rest periods built into it, and looks like a modified version of the standard CPAT, it's just even easier.
    I don't wanna discourage you, but in reality if you find this ELPAT too challenging, the Academy will kill you.

Work hard, and good luck.

Forum Member

Thanks Flipper-

The weight of the bag is 125 lbs. Also, the video you watched is the ELPAT as you mentioned, but I am actually going to be taking the actual PAT, with shorter time allowances, and stricter failure policy. For the ELPAT, you can fail up to two events, and it will just affect your score, but the PAT, you cannot fail any, which is how it should be.

The good thing is that I did not find this too tough, nor did I find the rest of the events that difficult, but the problem lies in my size. I wear a 17 shoe, and those bad boys can get in the way, which is what happened here. What do you think of this method of dragging, as compared to the one in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zw_1t0qPXM

I would obvious have to modify it by shuffling my feet more because I will not be able to stand straight up. I watched a couple other candidates after me perform this event, and there was a mixed bag, but this method seemed better for my situation-thoughts?

Forum Member

Well, I'm glad you find the PAT easy, it should be!
    If your drag is in the confined space thing, it's gonna be tough for a guy your size. Just hunker down and power through.
    If it's like the second video, which is just a standard dummy drag, do it just like the girl in the video-drag it while moving backwards.
    The key is to get as much of the dummy off the ground as you can.
    If you're a big guy, this should be no problem at all. Try to get the dummy's back up against your chest, this has less dummy body parts on the ground, and less tripping hazard for those size 17's.
    Running forward while dragging it behind you is a bad idea.

Watch this video of the Combat challenge, the dummy drag is at the end, by the way it's 185lbs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsx3lihkoJY

Forum Member

Flipper - The rescue manikin in the Firefighter Combat Challenge is 165#'s with 10#'s of gear for a total of 175#'s, not 185#.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fitguy51 View Post
    Flipper - The rescue manikin in the Firefighter Combat Challenge is 165#'s with 10#'s of gear for a total of 175#'s, not 185#.
    Thanks for the info, I was ballparkin it

Forum Member

Not a problem. Over the years I have had many conversations with Rescue Randy, with him getting the better of me sometimes.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Thread Information