Forum Member

Default recording radio traffic

I need to figure a way to record our radio traffic. Here is our current setup. We use a minitor IV din plug to activate a “tape recorder” to record the tones and the address on 1 freq. Our fire ground communication come in on a different freq. so as long as we don’t reset the amplified charger all communication is recorded. When we are done with the call we reset the amplified charger and it turn off the recorder. Since tape recorders are a thing of the past I would like to know if someone has come up with a better setup.
    Problems we have is the tone out freq is used county wide for fire ground dispatch (a lot of unneeded traffic), but we want to record the tone drop and the call (activate the recorder) then record our fire ground freq. I can’t find a modern recorder (hard drive, solid state, etc) that will record on power on.

Thanks
    Chappy

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure the purpose of recording the dispatches yourself. That may help.

This doesn't answer your questions, but doesn't your dispatch center record the calls. I believe that most do so that the recordings can be used in court or to help in a incident critique. Depending on the reason for requesting them, you may be able to get a copy from dispatch. I know that ours has had no problems in providing them to us for official use.

Forum Member

Unfortunately our county dispatch are no more better then a glorified phone operator and the fact we have our own freq (which is not monitored by county) make it necessary for us to record our own. I am sure they would have the initial tone out, but would not have our fire grounds communication. Once the tone drops we are required to have a radio room operator who handles all the communication.

Thanks
    Chappy

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by happychappy View Post
    I need to figure a way to record our radio traffic. Here is our current setup. We use a minitor IV din plug to activate a “tape recorder” to record the tones and the address on 1 freq. Our fire ground communication come in on a different freq. so as long as we don’t reset the amplified charger all communication is recorded. When we are done with the call we reset the amplified charger and it turn off the recorder.
    Here is what I would do, get yourself a dedicated computer and then install a recording program on the computer. Hook the Minitor IV to the sound card and leave the recorder always recording. When the tones hit it will activate the Min IV and the recorder will pick up the traffic. Upon a reset the recorder will stop recording.

On your fireground, do essentially the same thing, possibly with a seperate monitor such as another Minitor IV or a dedicated scanner monitor. If you are the only agency in the area using that, just record on that all of the time.

Do a search on www.radioreference.com in the forums for discussion on some different software. I'm using Recall Pro that I purchased when the audio quality from the dispatch recorder was not up to snuff, but there are other packages out there that will work too.

Brian

Forum Member

I am assuming that the PC software is using VOD recording right? Is there a time stamp on the recordings?

IACOJ - Proud member.

Quote Originally Posted by happychappy View Post
    I am assuming that the PC software is using VOD recording right? Is there a time stamp on the recordings?
    This software does both VOX recording and time stamps.

http://www.2-software.net/Xcorder-188.html
    Chief Jim Bator
    www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?
    FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

Thread Information