Forum Member

Default NJ FF Certs transfer to FL?

I am a volunteer firefighter in NJ and have been FF1 certified since 2006. FF2 will be completed in the next 2 months. I also have Fire ground officer development, Building Construction for company officers, Hazmat Awareness Level 1, Hazmat Ops Level 2, IMS 100 and 200. I will be taking EMT-B soon (hopefully over the summer) and a Rescue Tech Course when available. I may take Hazmat Tech but unsure for now. I will be going for a Bachelors Degree in Fire Science here in NJ.

I am wondering if anyone has been able to transfer/challenge FF1/2/EMT from NJ to FL. I plan on going down to FL when I am done with school and would rather not take the classes again if I do not have to and would like to start reading up on how to go upon transferring my certs or worst case getting certified in FL.

Thanks in Advance, and I hope I put this in the correct forum

Edit: Also want to know about transferring paramedic degree just in case i decide to take it up here if its worth it or not

Forum Member

to get the correct answers, here is the number to the florida state fire college (they handle florida compliance's and transfers. (352) 369-2800

Quote Originally Posted by munnugles View Post
    I am a volunteer firefighter in NJ and have been FF1 certified since 2006. FF2 will be completed in the next 2 months. I also have Fire ground officer development, Building Construction for company officers, Hazmat Awareness Level 1, Hazmat Ops Level 2, IMS 100 and 200. I will be taking EMT-B soon (hopefully over the summer) and a Rescue Tech Course when available. I may take Hazmat Tech but unsure for now. I will be going for a Bachelors Degree in Fire Science here in NJ.

I am wondering if anyone has been able to transfer/challenge FF1/2/EMT from NJ to FL. I plan on going down to FL when I am done with school and would rather not take the classes again if I do not have to and would like to start reading up on how to go upon transferring my certs or worst case getting certified in FL.

Thanks in Advance, and I hope I put this in the correct forum

Edit: Also want to know about transferring paramedic degree just in case i decide to take it up here if its worth it or not

makes good girls go bad

Your FFI hours must meet or exceed Fla FFI hours (202, IIRC).
    Your FFII hours must meet of exceed Fla FFII hours (240, IIRC).

Long and short of it, no.

If you are an NJMICP, you must be, at the beginning of your career, NREMT-P. Do NOT let that expire. That is your way to challenge the Fla Test. All you do is go to a Sylvan Learning Center near you (I went to the one in Toms River, but I trained in Fla).
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Your FFI hours must meet or exceed Fla FFI hours (202, IIRC).
    Your FFII hours must meet of exceed Fla FFII hours (240, IIRC).

Long and short of it, no.

If you are an NJMICP, you must be, at the beginning of your career, NREMT-P. Do NOT let that expire. That is your way to challenge the Fla Test. All you do is go to a Sylvan Learning Center near you (I went to the one in Toms River, but I trained in Fla).
    ok so i may take FF1/2 again but this one is IFSAC in NY... can i transfer that over to Florida or other states? How hard is it to get proboard as well.. anyone have a list of the states that accepts those certs.

Now i do not get what your saying about EMT. if i want to transfer my NREMT-B/P... what do i have to do at a Sylvan? im kind of confused about that. I challenge the test with NREMT-P and then I am certified in florida or other states?
    Last edited by munnugles; 04-11-2010 at 11:32 PM.

makes good girls go bad

ok so i may take FF1/2 again but this one is IFSAC in NY... can i transfer that over to Florida or other states? How hard is it to get proboard as well.. anyone have a list of the states that accepts those certs.

Now i do not get what your saying about EMT. if i want to transfer my NREMT-B/P... what do i have to do at a Sylvan? im kind of confused about that. I challenge the test with NREMT-P and then I am certified in florida or other states?
    It's not so much what state you are coming from, its the hours, and curriculum you have. If your hours and curriculum match up, you will be good. IAFC/Pro-Board dont matter, just the hours.

If you have your NREMT B/P, you can challenge the Fla test.
    You can take the Fla Basic or Medic test at any Sylvan Learning Center. You don't even have to go to Fla for anything.
    You are using your NR card as proof you are educated, but you must pass Flas computerized test to get their cert.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Ok thats cool didnt know that. I check FL vs NJ for FF1/2 and i dont think i am anywhere close to the hours. I have FF1/2, Fire ground officer development, and building constructions for company officers and still do not think i have as many hours.

So what would the IFSAC FF1/2 do for me?

Thread Information