MembersZone Subscriber

Default LDH, Firehose and adapters

The second idea that we are thinking of writing for in 2010 AFG is to upgrade to all 5" LDh and replace all of our worn and used firehose. I know that adapters for the LDH have been funded ( such as 2.5" to 5" STZ, 4" to 5" Stz) have been funded. I am wondering if anyone has had luck in getting other items funded such as:
    - Blitzfires
    - siammesse adapters
    - wyes
    - piston intakes
    - mechanical hose roller
    - jumbo ball valve ang wyes

Basically i am looking to apply for acomplete package to get us to the 5" LDH level with all the adapters and needed accesories to flow large water. Has anyone been succesful with such an approach?

thanks
    Last edited by cctrtlt2; 04-08-2010 at 11:58 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cctrtlt2 View Post
    The second idea that we are thinking of writing for in 2010 AFG is to upgrade to all 5" LDh and replace all of our worn and used firehose. I know that adapters for the LDH have been funded ( such as 2.5" to 5" STZ, 4" to 5" Stz) have been funded. I am wondering if anyone has had luck in getting other items funded such as:
    - Blitzfires
    - siammesse adapters
    - wyes
    - piston intakes
    - mechanical hose roller

Basically i am looking to apply for acomplete package to get us to the 5" LDH level with all the adapters and needed accesories to flow large water. Has anyone been succesful with such an approach?

thanks
    Most if not all of the equipment that you list has been awarded this year. If you go to http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...=112799&page=6 (2009 AFG Cost Allowances) you will find a list that I have posted (#110) with 2009 allowances.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Quote Originally Posted by cctrtlt2 View Post
    - Blitzfires
    - siammesse adapters
    - wyes
    - piston intakes
    - mechanical hose roller

thanks
    If you do it, make it a package. We did this 3 years ago for LDH and we included every intake valve, intake and discharge adapter, hydrant valves and adapters, you name it. Everything we could think of to make the LDH work with our current equipment. We could justify everything, and we were awarded it.

It make sense for AFG grant folks to award a package. If they gave you the LDH but you couldn't afford the fittings to put the LDH in service then the money was wasted. If they give you a functional package then it will go right into service and be effective.

Give it a lot of thought so you ask for a package that will work well, not missing anything.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

A few more thoughts.

Do you need short sections of LDH for filling tankers from a hydrant? Ask for it. Also get large hydrant valves for filling, better than cranking the hydrant on and off for hours.

Just an idea on the little details you need to think of. Make sure you have an adapter for every single large pump intake. If the intake needs a valve, include that. Refer to NFPA 1142 Standard on Water Supply for Suburban and Rural Firefighting to help justify your LDH needs.

How much LDH do you need? MEASURE all possible LDH lays for industrial buildings, areas in town where hydrants are scarce, hydranted areas fed by small mains that would make it neccesary to lay in from a few blocks away. Long narrow driveways that would make relay pumping neccesary. If you can justify it, ask for it.

When asking for replacement hose ( i'm assuming you mean attack lines ) do you need any new nozzles to make use of that attack hose? Ask for them. Need a hose washer to clean that hose? Need a hose tester to test that hose?

For the Blitzfire ( portable deluge set, as the AFG calls it ) spec it with the nozzles you need. If you want both smoothbore and combo, get it. Do you need hose to feed it properly ( 3" ) Get it. They used to only award you one "portable deluge set". This may have changed, or not.

Request every single foot of hose you need and can justify, every accessory you need to maintain it, and every nozzle, adapter and valve you need to put it in service to it's full potential.

Do you have mutual aid agreements or MABAS with other departments? If so you can then answer "YES" to the question " Will the item requested benefit other organizations or otherwise be available for use by other organizations?"
    Last edited by DFDMAXX; 04-08-2010 at 06:07 PM.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

MembersZone Subscriber

To add to what the other guys have said, we did a complete water supply project last year and were awarded. This included LDH, adapters, appliances, TurboDrafts, intakes, suction hose, and suction strainers.

This year we did an attack project that included 1 3/4" hose, nozzles (1 3/4" and 2 1/2"), blitz monitors, a deck gun/monitor for a truck that didn't have one, a hose coupling machine to maintain (already have a hose tester, but be sure to ask for one if you don't have one already), and a CAFS brush skid.

In our situation, it worked out better to split the two. There was enough needed equipment it became a shopping cart of items if we did it in one project.

If you want a look at either, or both, drop me a PM or email with your email address.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DFDMAXX View Post
    A few more thoughts.

Do you need short sections of LDH for filling tankers from a hydrant? Ask for it. Also get large hydrant valves for filling, better than cranking the hydrant on and off for hours.

Ditto. We asked for 100' sections for supply, plus both 25' and 50' sections for fill ops and hydrant use.

Just an idea on the little details you need to think of. Make sure you have an adapter for every single large pump intake. If the intake needs a valve, include that. Refer to NFPA 1142 Standard on Water Supply for Suburban and Rural Firefighting to help justify your LDH needs.

How much LDH do you need? MEASURE all possible LDH lays for industrial buildings, areas in town where hydrants are scarce, hydranted areas fed by small mains that would make it neccesary to lay in from a few blocks away. Long narrow driveways that would make relay pumping neccesary. If you can justify it, ask for it.

When asking for replacement hose ( i'm assuming you mean attack lines ) do you need any new nozzles to make use of that attack hose? Ask for them. Need a hose washer to clean that hose? Need a hose tester to test that hose?

I'm of the opinion you should ask for everything you need to maintain your hose. Washer, tester, and even a coupling machine for quick, in-house repairs.

For the Blitzfire ( portable deluge set, as the AFG calls it ) spec it with the nozzles you need. If you want both smoothbore and combo, get it. Do you need hose to feed it properly ( 3" ) Get it. They used to only award you one "portable deluge set". This may have changed, or not.

I'm not sure what AFG calls them, but in the narrative we called them "blitz monitors", as I couldn't think of another term at the time. You can get more than one, as we are getting awarded two (one for each engine).

Request every single foot of hose you need and can justify, every accessory you need to maintain it, and every nozzle, adapter and valve you need to put it in service to it's full potential.

Do you have mutual aid agreements or MABAS with other departments? If so you can then answer "YES" to the question " Will the item requested benefit other organizations or otherwise be available for use by other organizations?"
    I don't think it can be reiterated enough, make sure you get the adapters and appliances you need to be interoperable with your neighbers. We have all of our hose as Storz, but have adapters for 4 1/2" males and females, 4" Storz, and even 2 1/2" reducers and wyes. This ensures we can work with anyone we need to in our area.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quick attack monitor.

When you look at lenght of LDH lay also consider hydrant pressure and friction loss and required ISO fire flow. If long lay and/or high fire flow it may make sense to go to 6" w/6"Storz couplings.

If relay pump a possibility include Hydrant valves (Harrington will make up with 6"S if needed).

Forum Member

catch22, I sent you a message. Thanks!

Forum Member

Does anyone know what the acceptable lifespan is for double-jacket hose? We have some still in use that is over 30 years old and would like to try and replace it on a grant.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by westtexas View Post
    catch22, I sent you a message. Thanks!
    You should have a response emailed to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Co59Bob View Post
    Does anyone know what the acceptable lifespan is for double-jacket hose? We have some still in use that is over 30 years old and would like to try and replace it on a grant.
    NFPA 1961 A.1.1: "...should give careful consideration to a 10 year maximum service life..."

Thread Information