Forum Member

Arrow Need some glove help please.

Hi, I joined my Towns Volunteer fire dept in September of 2009. So far its been pretty good. Challenging but good.

Anyways I was issued some pretty bad gloves, They are just very basic structural gloves with no liquid barrier etc.. So I want to get a pair of nice gloves but I want them to be puncture resistant (If possible) with a blood born pathogen barrier that still will offer fire protection for big hands. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Forum Member

Shelby makes good gloves at good prices. Some people rant and rave about the super glove, but I have heard some pretty mixed reviews on them plus they're a hundred bucks. Dragonfire also makes a pretty good pair of gloves too.

I'm not real sure of a bloodborne pathogen barrier in any structural gloves. You could just wear latex gloves under your structural gloves if you're at an accident scene. Also Ringers makes an extrication glove with pathogen protection I think they go for 60 bucks, but I hear complaints that they don't breathe very well and are kind of uncomfortable.

Forum Member

I was looking at these, But I am not sure about the blood borne protection.

http://www.mesfire.com/Portal.aspx?CN=0725F40FC27D

These are the "junk" gloves I have now. During a fire I was fighting I was on the 2 inch and they got soaked inside. I continued fighting the fire. I got back to the fire house and told a officer my glove where soaked and he told me I should never do that because I could have got lobster hands being burned from the steam.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...with_gauntlet/
    Big and Tall Firefighter.

Forum Member

It sounds like your describing extrication glove. I've never owned any, but I've been told that the ringers are nice. Bear in mind most departments won't let you use extrication gloves during a structure fire attack(interior or exterior). If you tried a better pair of Shelby structure glove you would probably be more satisfied. I use Style 5283's and I kept the gloves I was originally issued. If i'm on a hose I use the junk gloves and went I switch to a different task I've got a good pair of gloves that are dry and ready to go. Not trying to be a pain, but why did your department give you OSHA compliant gloves instead of NFPA. Were they donated by a local Industrial department? Does your coat have a wrist guard that you slip your thumb into like in the attachment?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by KanFireman; 04-09-2010 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Reread original poster's question

Forum Member

Yea I am not sure why the DEPT issues us such bad gloves. But they also gave my brother bunker gear from the 80's with a hole in the back. Not to mention its 2 sizes to small for him and he cant move his arms forward.

If I get extrication gloves can I wear those during anything that doesn't have fire involved? Then if a fire is present I can switch to my fire fighting gloves? And my gear does indeed have a wrist guard.

MembersZone Subscriber

For structural gloves some of the Shelby models are good (as other said above). I had a pair until I picked up a pair of Protech 8 Titan's which are also pretty good.

In additional to interior gloves I've also got a pair of extrication gloves I use on accident/rescues and a cheap pair of work gloves I use for daily tasks.. truck checks, restoring hose..etc.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

I have used various styles of Shelby for several years.

I haven't in all the time I've done this job found a glove that will keep you dry on the inside. Some way or another water will get inside the glove. I guess the only way not to get the hands wet is not be in the fire fight.

I just as soon not have a pair on as most gloves are so thick that you can't move your fingers too well.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Eska....love em'
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I was looking at these. But the price is high to me (Not that it matters). I think I will definitely get extrication gloves for MVA's and stuff. So that leaves me with structural fire glove that I will need.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr..._cowhide_nfpa/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB17 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I was looking at these. But the price is high to me (Not that it matters). I think I will definitely get extrication gloves for MVA's and stuff. So that leaves me with structural fire glove that I will need.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr..._cowhide_nfpa/

You are going to pay $102.00 for them? You hands will still get wet. Doesn't you FD issue PPE???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    You are going to pay $102.00 for them? You hands will still get wet. Doesn't you FD issue PPE???
    Did you even read his original post?

What the OP described as being issued was an OSHA approved glove. No moisture barrier.

You need an NFPA glove. Something with a moisture barrier. ANy GOOD glove that you buy is going to cost you anywhere from 80 to 100 bucks. I had a pair of ProTechs and liked them. When they wore out I got a pair of Pyrohides. The Pyrohides are simply amazing.

And I am not sure about what everyone is saying with getting your hands wet inside a glove. If tha is happening one of two things is going on. Either water is running in the cuff or something is wrong with the glove.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Did you even read his original post?

What the OP described as being issued was an OSHA approved glove. No moisture barrier.

You need an NFPA glove. Something with a moisture barrier. ANy GOOD glove that you buy is going to cost you anywhere from 80 to 100 bucks. I had a pair of ProTechs and liked them. When they wore out I got a pair of Pyrohides. The Pyrohides are simply amazing.

And I am not sure about what everyone is saying with getting your hands wet inside a glove. If tha is happening one of two things is going on. Either water is running in the cuff or something is wrong with the glove.

Yes I read his post.

We buy Shelby structural gloves for lots less than what he will pay through his rear for them. This is something the department is responsible to buy and not some bs glove some straw brain in a office thinks is the best for the members in the field. The member shouldn't have to pay out of their pocket for what they need.

As I have said I have worn gloves for many years and still my hands get wet. I guess that happens when you are pulling ceilings and doing work in a building.

Forum Member

We buy Shelby structural gloves for lots less than what he will pay through his rear for them. This is something the department is responsible to buy and not some bs glove some straw brain in a office thinks is the best for the members in the field. The member shouldn't have to pay out of their pocket for what they need.
    You're right, he shouldn't. But the fact is not every small VFD out there can afford to issue the best stuff, or even moderatly good stuff. You are then left with the option of either using the crap you were issued or taking some initiative and buying something better. Those of us who give a damn buy something better.

As I have said I have worn gloves for many years and still my hands get wet. I guess that happens when you are pulling ceilings and doing work in a building.
    Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I went outside and stuck my gloved hand inside a bucket of water. My hand never got wet inside the glove. You may to inspect those gloves for damages.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

If you are the only one with your style of gloves ask if the department will supply with a set of nfpa compliant gloves. I would worry about getting nfpa compliant structure gloves before getting extrication gloves. Like a previous poster stated nfpa gloves have a moisture barrier that osha gloves don't have. No barrier is perfect they will still eventually get wet inside after prolonged exposure, but without one the inside gets soaked in a hurry.

Thread Information