Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fed Fire

Forum Member

Question Fed Fire

Hi everybody, my name's John and I am really interested in becoming a federal firefighter. I'm 25 years old and have NO military experience. My qualifications are:

Bachelors in Sociology
    Firefighter 1 Academy graduate
    EMT certificate
    1 year EMT experience

I will work any where in the world. I'm single with nothing tieing me down. Does any one have any recommendations on which places seem to hire more frequently? Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

-John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySF View Post
    Hi everybody, my name's John and I am really interested in becoming a federal firefighter. I'm 25 years old and have NO military experience. My qualifications are:

Bachelors in Sociology
    Firefighter 1 Academy graduate
    EMT certificate
    1 year EMT experience

I will work any where in the world. I'm single with nothing tieing me down. Does any one have any recommendations on which places seem to hire more frequently? Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

-John
    John you need to read through all of the threads in this sub-forum. Virtually every single one of your questions will be answered. Short answer to you right now however is you do not possess enough qualifications. An Entry Level DOD Firefighter (which would be a GS-05 level) requires the following:

1. DoD (IFSAC/Pro-Board Equivalent) certifications in:
    -Firefighter I, Firefighter II
    -Fire Inspector I
    -Hazardous Materials (Operations)
    -EMT in whatever state you will be practicing.
    (ARFF Basic Course if applying to a facility with an airfield)

Most DoD installations usually do not hire at the GS-05 level, they are usually looking for GS-07 level, which includes the above as well as:
    -Driver/Operator Pumpers
    -Driver/Operator Aerials
    -Driver/Operator ARFF
    -Fire Inspector II
    -Fire Officer I
    -Hazardous Materials (Technician Level)

The only way you could get hired without any certs would be to be hired as a GS-04/01 "Trainee", but these are hired even less than GS-05 FF's.

All certifications MUST BE IFSAC/NBPQ/DOD CERTIFICATIONS. THIS IS NOT NEGOTIABLE.

Please read through the rest of the threads here. I am more than sure your questions will be answered.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 04-09-2010 at 07:56 AM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    John you need to read through all of the threads in this sub-forum. Virtually every single one of your questions will be answered. Short answer to you right now however is you do not possess enough qualifications. An Entry Level DOD Firefighter (which would be a GS-05 level) requires the following:

1. DoD (IFSAC/Pro-Board Equivalent) certifications in:
    -Firefighter I, Firefighter II
    -Fire Inspector I
    -Hazardous Materials (Operations)
    -EMT in whatever state you will be practicing.
    (ARFF Basic Course if applying to a facility with an airfield)

Most DoD installations usually do not hire at the GS-05 level, they are usually looking for GS-07 level, which includes the above as well as:
    -Driver/Operator Pumpers
    -Driver/Operator Aerials
    -Driver/Operator ARFF
    -Fire Inspector II
    -Fire Officer I
    -Hazardous Materials (Technician Level)

The only way you could get hired without any certs would be to be hired as a GS-04/01 "Trainee", but these are hired even less than GS-05 FF's.

All certifications MUST BE IFSAC/NBPQ/DOD CERTIFICATIONS. THIS IS NOT NEGOTIABLE.

Please read through the rest of the threads here. I am more than sure your questions will be answered.
    My department does a co-op thing wiith our local college. We hire a few GS-3's or 4's currently enrolled in the fire program. they work a few years while they are in the program, and when they graduate, they might be asked to stay on as a full time employee, but there is no guarantee of a job at the end of your program. I am at Kirtland AFB and the co-ops here are enrolled in the UNM (Albuquerque) fire program.

-Damien

Forum Member

Johnny, get the certs, but above all else, know this. In the federal fire world it's all about who you know. You can have all the certs in the world, but if you don't drink coffee with the right people, your out of luck. Make some contacts and do like Phoenix Fire Department, and 'Be Nice'

Thread Information