Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default New vollie from Mississippi

Hey guys just thought I'd say hi and looking forward to learning a lot from you veterans in here. Been a volunteer for about 5 years now in a small rural department. Things are mostly slow around here, but seems like when it rains it pours. We've had some really nasty wrecks here lately and I've been seeing the coroner more than I'd like.

t/c
    John

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by redkneck View Post
    Hey guys just thought I'd say hi and looking forward to learning a lot from you veterans in here. Been a volunteer for about 5 years now in a small rural department. Things are mostly slow around here, but seems like when it rains it pours. We've had some really nasty wrecks here lately and I've been seeing the coroner more than I'd like.

t/c
    John
    5 years in is a good start. Often we like to see volunteer attain that mark as it often means continued retention of a valued member. Mississippi is a great state. Donates more to charity than any other state. Low call volume departments can be hard to manage.

Forum Member

If MS is too slow for you we have plenty of opportunities to catch some real good fire and live in a firehouse rent-free here in MD. We average about 6000 calls a year as an all volunteer firehouse. Roughly about 20 guys living here, some of us with day jobs, some of us on the job in the nation's capital doing 24/72hour shiftwork. I think the fire average now is about one every three days, so you have plenty of opportunities to hone your skills and become the fireman you want to be with either truck company or engine company work!

Thread Information