Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    It is sad that we have to have an SOP/SOG for everything now, but if you give someone and inch, they invariably take a mile. Simple grocery store runs turn into half a day shopping jaunts at the mall. Abuse happens. Suddenly you start hearing - we did it because 46's
    can do it and they got the mall. 21's was at autozone. 5's was here.. 6's was there...
    Seriously, as long as you are in your first due area what difference does it make?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Seriously, as long as you are in your first due area what difference does it make?
    No problem at all when the engine sits in front of the strip bar for "lunch".

Or the taxpayers wonder whey the ladder is sitting at the photography store for
    3 hours.

Or at Joe's wifes house for 6 hours...

Common sense SHOULD prevail, but people push things...

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    No problem at all when the engine sits in front of the strip bar for "lunch".

Or the taxpayers wonder whey the ladder is sitting at the photography store for
    3 hours.

Or at Joe's wifes house for 6 hours...

Common sense SHOULD prevail, but people push things...
    Who said anything about eating at a strip club? Or sitting at the photo store for 3 hours? Or at anybody's home for 6 hours?

If you look for trouble you will find it. We run errands, go shopping, and occasionally stop off at a member's relative's house to check on elderly parents. If your company officers are so stupid as to have the rig park in front of a strip club, or be in a store for hours on end, or stop at home or a relative's house for hours on end your department deserves all the grief it gets. Once again the lack of common sense seems to be ruling the world again. Funny thing is we get no hassles at all from our citizens about being out in the community with the fire rigs.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Who said anything about eating at a strip club? Or sitting at the photo store for 3 hours? Or at anybody's home for 6 hours?

If you look for trouble you will find it. We run errands, go shopping, and occasionally stop off at a member's relative's house to check on elderly parents. If your company officers are so stupid as to have the rig park in front of a strip club, or be in a store for hours on end, or stop at home or a relative's house for hours on end your department deserves all the grief it gets. Once again the lack of common sense seems to be ruling the world again. Funny thing is we get no hassles at all from our citizens about being out in the community with the fire rigs.
    Thats my point. The lack of common sense. Some people have it, some don't. Some departments have it, some don't.

Forum Member

Default Lunch

the medium size city i work for does not have a problem with us going out to eat just need to be close. in the main district there is one place where only one piece of equipment is allowed to be at once but seams we do not follow that rule too much anymore. (staffing reasons). we also have a section of the city that has a bunch of restaurants (Skyline chili, Wendy's crap Donald). we have been eating in more and more due to the cost of going out to eat ($10 all day buy eating in or up to $20 for going out) if we eat in the engine crew just visits Kroger while they are out doing businss. the other station eats in all the time as the closes restaurant is way out of first in area but they do have a grocery store not far from the house. since both stations are cross maned we have to call on the air so that they can take either the truck or the ambulance out of service for the time being.

Forum Member

Where I live, and the department I'm on...our city administrators have really cracked down on this kind of stuff..we used to be able to run out for lunch or to get some materials for dinner, but anymore, they are pretty much against the idea of getting out for anything other than calls and other job related things. It sucks...they are real debbie downers at city hall, they have even gotten to the point where the bay doors stay closed unless needed open for cleaning, etc...so no more chillin on the bumper afterhours to check out the ladies as they drive by lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ****brick3633 View Post
    Where I live, and the department I'm on...our city administrators have really cracked down on this kind of stuff..we used to be able to run out for lunch or to get some materials for dinner, but anymore, they are pretty much against the idea of getting out for anything other than calls and other job related things. It sucks...they are real debbie downers at city hall, they have even gotten to the point where the bay doors stay closed unless needed open for cleaning, etc...so no more chillin on the bumper afterhours to check out the ladies as they drive by lol

sucks for you! lol jk buddy

oh yeah, they probably want you to use the least amount of electricity, and fuel as possible so they can make the money back that they spent on that firehouse!
    Last edited by bobabouey; 12-11-2010 at 12:24 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bobabouey View Post
    sucks for you! lol jk buddy

oh yeah, they probably want you to use the least amount of electricity, and fuel as possible so they can make the money back that they spent on that firehouse!
    LOL! good point..dont be hating buddy..move to farmington and you can have some of that luxury! lol

Forum Member

no thanks, you can have the luxury bathrooms and whatnot, and ill just sit on the front bumper after hours "checking out the ladies," as they drive by!

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

We can use the engine at our discretion. Our SOG's require that we call in "on the air, available". Then, whether we go to the grocery store or a restaurant, it has to be in the district.

We park in a normal spot, usually far away from the restaurant with minimal obstructions. We all carry portables, so if a run comes in, we all know it.

Around here, shopping is a great PR activity. We get out and meet people at either the store or restaurant, and I (the rookie) usually get a chance to show the engine to any kids that ask. Or, sometimes, we just get to talk to employees or citizens who say hello.

But yes, we do have an SOG for pretty much EVERYTHING department related.
    Some good information here..... As well as in the other post.

How my Department does it is as long as we go "available on radio", update dispatch of our location (especially for the Medic Engines) and don't act like a fool in public we have free-range. As far as an SOP on this, we do not have one because it is not a real issue. We normally eat within our first due areas when we eat in public. The only time that we got "smacked-down" was when a Crew sat on a curb and ate ice cream during a summer. We got bashed pretty hard on that one, but still no SOP, just an Interoffice Memo and embarrassment/ribbing of that Crew.

My advice is to not make it too much of an issue; don't abuse the equipment, don't act a fool in public, be polite, tip well, remember the equipment belongs to those that pay our bills, remember "please" and "thank yous" and talk to the folks that serve you there before it happens about how to handle the occasional interrupted meal.

I know Departments and shifts that routinely go to the local store and shop or eat at the local restaurants. Never had an issue.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

MembersZone Subscriber

It's to the level that theses guys ONLY knows SOPs, and anything off by one inch gets you reported. Just ask a Lieut of mine about the hours he was disciplined for having a button undone on his shirt. Yet I've seen guys out "filling the boot" in non-approved tshirts, untucked who havent shaved and talk on their phones while driving the piece.
    Almost makes me want to hug my Chief..... Hey, I said almost..... LOL.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

An SOG, of course, someone had to have a promotional project at some point.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adenosine View Post
    An SOG, of course, someone had to have a promotional project at some point.
    You're readin my mind dude.
    Last edited by Profireman; 02-15-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Forum Member

We don't have to tell dispatch anything. We run to the store or eat 'em up joint and do what we need to do and leave. If we get a call we jump in and go. It is a great PR deal in my mind as long as everyone behaves. It's a good way to get out and meet people, and the businesses love it because we support them, so a lot of times (like during Fill-the-Boot) they support us. We hear the whole "it costs money for fuel, blah blah blah blah" argument a lot. We run with three person crews a lot of the time. Sending a chow runner isn't practical since running with two puts us below minimum staffing. We argue this point, "would you rather have your firefighters getting food, supporting the economy, doing public education, and being together so they can handle an emergency or would you rather have a fire engine show up that can't operate to it's potential because you wanted to save $8 on fuel?". We keep it simple and nobody bothers us.

Forum Member

We're allowed to take the engine to a grocery store in our district. The biggest problems we have faced is with parking. Although few and far between, there have been citizen complaints about firetrucks parking in front of their houses, or taking up 2 spots etc.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

At work we have a grocery store literally right next door so we usually eat in. Right across the street we have a pizza joint and Chinese place. But we are able to head out to other places to grab lunch. We just check on the air, grab food, and head back.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneWheel View Post
    1. Must go "available on air"
    2. Must be in territory
    3. Must Be able to respond to apparatus within a minute
    4. Must not park to where it obstructs the traffic flow thru parking lot.
    5. Must be able to see apparatus from where we sit.
    6. Under no circumstances can we dine anywhere with live entertainment.
    This is fairly similar to how we handle things. Although our rules/regs don't specifically address fire companies eating at restaurants, we do have policies with regards to entering locations where alcohol is served. For the most part, if alcohol is served there, we cannot enter that location unless we are operating in an "official capacity", i.e. emergency run, inspection, and etc.

We typically eat all three meals at the station. We each pay $10-15 per person and that provides breakfast lunch and dinner. Most station have a cooking rotation where everyone takes a turn cooking. Some stations are fortunate in that one or two members are the "full-time" cooks by choice.

We typically go to the store after breakfast and before the busier times of the day. We try to combine this trip with either coming back from a run or after plug maintenance and/or inspections.

One member (typically the driver) must remain with the apparatus at all times when away from the station. We try to park out of the way to allow for a quick response and to not draw attention to ourselves. Although some of the best PR I've had with the public has been while shopping, there are folks who love to complain to the media, city council members, and etc. for little or no reason.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Iranfromthezoo

We can go out once a day in our district so we usually eat out for lunch and the on the way back from lunch stop at a grocery store for dinner. Never had any complaints from citizens but we as a dept tend not to abuse the privilege. As long as no more than an Engine and a ladder truck or more than 2 engine's eat together then it's okay. In the case of 2 engine's eating together a ladder or an engine must be in the engine that is out of district to respond to calls. Ladder trucks aren't confined to a district and can travel city-wide.

We don't run a lot of calls but our citizen's see us out doing pub ed all the time or doing PT in front of the station so we have pretty good PR.

Thread Information