Forum Member

Question

If anyone has any info, thoughts, or opinions about the situation it would be appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by FireMedic846; 05-05-2010 at 01:52 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I worked for 4 years in MS. No union for the first 3 years and a fledgling union for my final year. the majority of the department was against it. Very anti-union. I didn't know any better. Now I'm at department with a strong union and it makes a world of difference. From vacation time to camaraderie. The department in MS was at the mercy of the mayor. Hoping the mayor would be a proponent of pro-fire legislation. Let's think about it, if this was the case we wouldn't need checks and balances in our government. There has to be checks! Personally, I wouldn't head back to a non-union environment. Then, other factors come into play....... If my dream job can only be attained at a non-union department what do I do? Get hired, try and rally the troops for a union myself?

The advantage you have over myself is, I went from non-union to union. I didn't know any better. I didn't know the grass was greener. You will notice right out the gate what needs to happen and what can be done. You can be the change agent. You might even fall into a department that has an outstanding relationship with the city council. This question is individual department based. Just my experiences in this matter.............
    "Once You Find Something You Enjoy Doing, Then It's No Longer Work!"

"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue"-Adm. Nimitz about Marines in the Battle of Iwo Jima

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic846 View Post
    I am very interested in relocating to South Carolina and have been searching for full-time a position as a Fire/Medic for some time now. I would be moving from a IAFF state and would like to get a job with a department that is affiliated with the union. I am wondering if there is any merit being a union member in a "right to work" state. How much representation does the IAFF have in the south? Are most of the firefighters & paramedic that are on departments that are affiliated with the union, even members? Should I seek a department with the union or does it not make a difference?

If anyone has any info, thoughts, or opinions about the situation it would be appreciated. Thanks

Being a member of the IAFF doesn't mean nothing in the application process. The folks who take them in coudn't care less if you are a member or not.

You must test like everyone else and score high enough to be invited for the next step and so on.

Virginia is a right to work state but we have IAFF Locals all over the state as does other states.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Being a member of the IAFF doesn't mean nothing in the application process.
    I think I may not of described the situation all that clearly...

The question is whether or not discriminate the departments that I am applying to (Only apply to IAFF affiliated depts. as opposed to a Non-affiliated.)

In South Carolina specifically, with regards to job security and representation, does it matter if you're in the IAFF/A union member or not?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic846 View Post
    I think I may not of described the situation all that clearly...

The question is whether or not discriminate the departments that I am applying to (Only apply to IAFF affiliated depts. as opposed to a Non-affiliated.)

In South Carolina specifically, with regards to job security and representation, does it matter if you're in the IAFF/A union member or not?

These are the IAFF Locals in SC

Pick a department and apply.......

South Carolina
    State Local 0039 - South Carolina Professional Fire Fighters Assoc.
    Local 61 - Charleston, SC Professional Firefighters
    Local 369 - Spartanburg, SC Professional Firefighters
    Local 793 - Columbia, SC Professional Firefighters
    Local 2106 - Rock Hill, SC Professional Firefighters
    Local 2261 - Greenville, SC Professional Firefighters
    Local 2345 - Murtle Beach, SC Professional Firefighters
    Local 3352 - Professional Firefighters of Florence, SC
    Local 3456 - Georgetown City, SC Professional Firefighters
    Local 3617 - South Strand, SC Professional Fire Fighters & Paramedic Association
    Local 3648 - North Charleston, SC Professional Firefighters
    Local 3697 - Saint Andrews, SC Professional Firefighters
    Local 3883 - Saint Johns, SC Professional Firefighters
    Local 3913 Goose Creek, SC Professional Fire Fighters
    Local 3917 - Professional Fire Fighters of Bluffton, SC
    Local 3941 - Gaffney, SC Professional Fire Fighters
    Local 3967 - Isle of Palms, SC Professional Firefighters
    Local 3968 - Mauldin, SC Professional Firefighters
    Local 3979 - Summerville, SC Professional Firefighters
    Local 4048 - James Island, SC Professional Firefighters
    Local 4065 - Saint Andrews, SC Fire Officers
    Local 4071 - Awendaw, SC Professional Firefighters
    Local 4081 - Burton Professional Fire Fighters Association, SC
    Local 4158 - Fire Officers of North Charleston, SC
    Local 4179 - Colleton County, SC Professional Firefighters
    Local 4180 - Greenville, SC Uniformed Fire Fighters and Paramedics
    Local 4205 - Unformed Fire Officers Of Horry County, SC
    Local 4345 - Uniformed Fire Fighters Assoc. of Horry County , SC
    Local 4423 - Professional Fire Fighters of North Charleston, SC
    Local 4450 - Anderson City Fire Fighters, SC
    Local 4489 - Rock Hill, SC Professional FF's Assoc./ Officers Union
    Local 4526 - Georgetown County, SC Prof. Firefighters Assoc.
    Local 4527 - Gaffney, SC Professional Firefighters Association
    Local 4529 - Lexington County, SC Prof. Fire Fighters Association
    Local 4570 - Westview Fairforest, SC Professional Firefighters
    Local 4614 - Myrtle Beach, SC Prof. Fire Officers Association
    Local 4617 - Conway, SC Professional Fire Fighters Association
    Local 4637 - North Myrtle Beach, SC Professional Fire Fighters

Forum Member

In case you wanted an in depth list...

http://www.iafflocals.com/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by unionprivate View Post
    In case you wanted an in depth list...

http://www.iafflocals.com/
    Runner up....

Heres 1st place

http://iafflocals.net/

Forum Member

Exclamation

Yes, I know which departments are union affiliated and which are not... Thats not the issue. The question is, again, should I apply at IAFF affiliated depts or not? Does it really matter, in S. Carolina, if your in the union?

Forum Member

Medic, I don't think anyone can really answer that question for you, it is going to be a person decision soley based off what you think, and/or research you have done into the local unions for those city/county depts in SC. I think the only difference in the non-unionized dept and a unionized would be the obvious, you would posssibly have someone there to have your back as if to not have anyone... Do some more research and go from there, I'm sure you can find info on what the union covers for that entity...

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm don't think that many of those depts are actually active. For some I can't find any Local sites or links, only one or two directing back to a general IAFF listing. I worked county third service EMS for a few months down there and I don't remember Awendaw, Mt Pleasant, James Island, St. John's, or St Andrews being actively affiliated with the IAFF. I copuld be wrong, however.

Anyways, the Deep South is a whole different beast. You'll need the union protection to guard against the good ole boy club, as these depts can be very clicky. Also, look at the salaries. Most depts start at around 22 or 25k, with a lucky few in the low 30's. You'll want the union protection for labor issues. You may have heard of the Colleton County firemedic that was fired after the inappropriate xtranormal video depicting him and a local ER doc. I'm not arguing for or against his firing. Why I bring this up is that out of curiosity I looked up their disciplinary policies and this is what I found:

http://wcsc.images.worldnow.com/imag...discipline.pdf

Pay close attention to policy 15.1B. It basically authorizes favoritism. You could be fired for an offense where I could just get a day of LWOP or something for the exact same offense. How many other shady rules and regs does the county (and others) have? I know SC is a right to work state, but I would want a union, even if it only works by political influence, to mandate changes to horrendous workplace policies such as I described.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Absolutely. After taking a second poly for the dept, I was sure that I didn't pass, so I took an EMS job in Charleston SC figuring that I could work into a fire job there while being paid decently in EMS. After around four months of working there, experiencing non-union EMS and observing how the surrounding depts were run, Fairfax called me with the job offer. I was all too happy to leave that work environment.

My opinion of the Northern Virginia area is lukewarm at best, as far as living here is concerned. It's really nothing special. Not horrible, not highly desireable, just okay. I've lived in and been in enough different areas of the country to offer that opinion. Most people come to the area solely for jobs or the military. The thing is, the job is great, and I'm quite satisfied working here. So much so that I left SC, even though I would much, much rather live there instead of NOVA.

The deadline for FF apps is at the end of June, and FF hiring has been severely restricted as of late. If you want it, I would get the process started ASAP.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member

If you go to the Hiring and Employment thread, someone recently posted a flyer indicating DeKalb Fire and Rescue in Georgia as hiring. My best friend works there...one of several large departments in the Metro-Atlanta area. Struggling financially like many others, but a department that shows great promise and growth.

Thread Information