1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Question Could You Do This?

    Ok, first I'm not going to get into a big preamble about why I make this presentation, beyond to say that I am in a position where I am going to be asked to complete tasks without essential equipment.

    TASK:

    1. Tie left hand to right foot, and then secure both limbs to your body

    2. Set up a 6 foot step ladder, underneath a screw-in type light fixture

    3. Climb the ladder, unscrew "old" light bulb

    4. Replace old light bulb with a new one

    5. Climb down ladder, and secure/stow appropriately

    ALL tasks to be completed while still with hand and foot tied up.

    Can you do it? And YES, this is actually a serious question. The point is to demonstrate that while there are many jobs and tasks that can be completed without full use of appropriate tools and equipment. However, sometimes some tasks which seem pretty simple and "routine" can be near next to impossible when tool restrictions are created.

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    If its any consolation, I dont think I could do it either.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Ok, first I'm not going to get into a big preamble about why I make this presentation, beyond to say that I am in a position where I am going to be asked to complete tasks without essential equipment.

    TASK:

    1. Tie left hand to right foot, and then secure both limbs to your body

    2. Set up a 6 foot step ladder, underneath a screw-in type light fixture

    3. Climb the ladder, unscrew "old" light bulb

    4. Replace old light bulb with a new one

    5. Climb down ladder, and secure/stow appropriately

    ALL tasks to be completed while still with hand and foot tied up.

    Can you do it? And YES, this is actually a serious question. The point is to demonstrate that while there are many jobs and tasks that can be completed without full use of appropriate tools and equipment. However, sometimes some tasks which seem pretty simple and "routine" can be near next to impossible when tool restrictions are created.
    So you stand there with both arms against your torso and your left hand tied to your right foot.

    At no time are you allowed to lift your right hand to reach for the light? Clarification please.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    No. I wrote that your right foot and left hand were tied together, and that they were secured against your body. Think of your arm as if you were using your body as a splint.

    You have full use of your left foot and right hand only.

    And actually, your question is a good one, and it suggests to me that you are getting the real point of the main question.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    PaladinKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    I'll let you know how it worked out after I get out of trauma... and the full body cast.

    Thanks for the adventure.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    I'll let you know how it worked out after I get out of trauma... and the full body cast.

    Thanks for the adventure.
    You do know of course, that should you partake of this exercise, it is of your own free will and I am therefore not to be held liable for any possible injury or damage which may result from your efforts.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

    "I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

    "Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

    Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

    impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

    IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    Though they forgot to give us a rabbit,a canteen and a compass course with the advice,"See ya in three days,guys",I took a firefighter survival and rescue class after having acquired an injured shoulder in a robbery at my real job.
    No splints but my shoulder was hurting and I still didn't have full range of motion but I did all the exercises and got out of the entrapment structures.And,yes,I did tell them that I was still hurting and answered their questions of if I was good to go the only way I could:"I was born ready,Tex".(I know,some day my alligator mouth is going to overload my hummingbird axe)
    I wouldn't recommend getting hurt deliberately to see if you CAN escape while injured(your most likely situation if you DO need to bail out of a structure fire) but at least I know that I could on that day.
    Last edited by doughesson; 04-12-2010 at 03:02 PM.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    3,095

    Default

    I haven't tried it, but it sounds KINKY!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC


  9. #9
    Forum Member
    CrnkB8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    217

    Default

    For starters, I would use a piece of string/rope about 2 feet longer than my height (I'm 6 feet tall so I would use an 8 foot piece of string/rope).

    Tie one end around my left hand, the other end around my right foot. Hence, my left hand is tied to my right foot (you didn't say they had to touch each other).

    This would still allow for movement up/down the ladder and changing the light bulb.

    I'm still working on the "secure both limbs to your body" (since they are already attached)

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Both limbs are already secured to your body via your shoulders. It doesn't say that they have to be down the side of your body or anything.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    1. Tie left hand to right foot, and then secure both limbs to your body.

    Quote Originally Posted by StuRat
    Both limbs are already secured to your body via your shoulders. It doesn't say that they have to be down the side of your body or anything.
    That is a pic I want to see.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Ok, a shoulder and a hip

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrnkB8 View Post
    For starters, I would use a piece of string/rope about 2 feet longer than my height (I'm 6 feet tall so I would use an 8 foot piece of string/rope).

    Tie one end around my left hand, the other end around my right foot. Hence, my left hand is tied to my right foot (you didn't say they had to touch each other).

    This would still allow for movement up/down the ladder and changing the light bulb.

    I'm still working on the "secure both limbs to your body" (since they are already attached)

    Actually the key word was "secure". Meaning immobilized.

    Also, think of:

    Think of your arm as if you were using your body as a splint.


    A splint is not much good if it is not tightly secured, right.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    CrnkB8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    217

    Default

    OK, secure my humerus (left and right) to my torso. This would allow movement from my elbow down completing the tasks as indicated.

    Or have somebody tie your hand to your foot, then secure your limbs to your body (completing item #1)

    That person will then complete items #2 thru #5 while you stand there tied up.

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber
    MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrnkB8 View Post
    OK, secure my humerus (left and right) to my torso. This would allow movement from my elbow down completing the tasks as indicated.

    Or have somebody tie your hand to your foot, then secure your limbs to your body (completing item #1)

    That person will then complete items #2 thru #5 while you stand there tied up.
    Ummm... other than being assisted for the tying up part, this is an individual achievement activity.

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrnkB8 View Post
    OK, secure my humerus (left and right) to my torso. This would allow movement from my elbow down completing the tasks as indicated.

    Or have somebody tie your hand to your foot, then secure your limbs to your body (completing item #1)

    That person will then complete items #2 thru #5 while you stand there tied up.
    And then under no circumstances would you want to hear a bleating sheep and the words"Get the camera."

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    CrnkB8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Ummm... other than being assisted for the tying up part, this is an individual achievement activity.
    Dang!! Then I'm going with: Use a piece of string/rope about 2 feet longer than your height. Tie one end around your left hand, the other end around your right foot. Secure your upper arms to the sides of your torso.

    Please post pics and/or video when completed.

    Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    And then under no circumstances would you want to hear a bleating sheep and the words"Get the camera."
    HAHA! As long as it was someone else tied up, it would be HILARIOUS!

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default Bedroom Knot

    I going to try and get someone with a digital camera to photograph me as I tie a "bedroom knot" as used for FF rescue so I can post it here.
    I don't want any phone calls from irate Captains because some junior guy used the Captain's wife as part of the demonstration.
    Basically,it's two loops in a line,one on the same side of the rope as you,the other on the opposite side of the bight,then you pull the loops through each other and place the new loops around the downed FF's arms up to their armpits.
    Take the bitter ends of the line and pull to tighten and keep tension on the line to remove the FF from the IDLH area.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register