Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

I also signed up for the test. I've been trying to find some information about SLCFD but can't find much. Anyone know how many FF's work for the city and what the average tempo of hiring is like?

Forum Member

It seems like any info for SLC is harder to obtain than other agencies I have researched in the past. Any SLC firefighters here on the forum? Or people who tested 2 years ago could chime in as well...

cheers

Forum Member

Default Where did you sign up?

Salt Lake City Fire Department administers an entry level testing process every two years to establish a list of qualified firefighter and firefighter/paramedic candidates. We will begin accepting names for the next Interest List on January 1st, 2014.

Where did you sign up?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorT View Post
    Salt Lake City Fire Department administers an entry level testing process every two years to establish a list of qualified firefighter and firefighter/paramedic candidates. We will begin accepting names for the next Interest List on January 1st, 2014.

Where did you sign up?
    They just had the interest period open from January till a week ago or so. SLC is somewhere I have been wanting to test so I kept an eye on the website.

Anyone else sign up? Its funny looking at the FDNY thread and comparing it to this one. Even if there were 10% the number of people testing in SLC vs. FDNY we may be able to gather a bit more info on the dept and process. Oh well, looking forward to it nonetheless!

Forum Member

Looks like they ran 2 academies this past year. Didn't see any numbers for class size though.

MembersZone Subscriber

So, just a little info for anyone that is curious about SLC Fire, they are a 14 station department. Morale for city firefighters is pretty high due to them having a contracted ambulance for their medical transports, unlike the rest of the fire departments here in the valley. So if you are worried about being stuck on a box, you can throw that one out the window. Medics will still accompany the the transport rigs on calls as deemed necessary. They have a good heavy rescue team, and a good haz mat team. They are also a part of the FEMA task force for the state of Utah, along with the UFA. Academy is the standard 16 week class and it seems to be fairly rugged, so be prepared. They get you all the fire certs you will need to start out in the academy, so don't worry about that. SLC sees a lot of fire compared to the rest of the valley. Overall, it is a great dept, and anyone should be happy and proud to be a part of it. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Forum Member

Best paid department in Utah. Strong union. Strong pension, though it just changed to be less valuable for all those hired after July 1 of last year. But it should be around come retirement for new comers. Like a previous poster mentioned, contracted ambulances. But medics still ride along for ALS calls. High morale. Professional. 3 platoons on A-B-C 48/96's. 13.something % medic pay differential.

They just closed applications for the list, and won't be taking applications again until January of 2014. There were a couple years a few years back with no hires- I think a whole list might have gone by untouched. The last list had 3 classes hired from it- one in 2010, and two in 2011. The classes are usually about 10 at graduation, but there are some washes, so they usually start larger than that.

Based on 2 years ago: There is a video test- bpad- instead of an oral board. The first face to face interview you do is your chief's interview, post list. They seem to interview and hire according to the placement on the list. They'll interview more than 10 for 10 spots, but if they like you and you're in the top 10, you're in great position. Education seems to be a bonus. Medics are a bonus.

Academy is 14 weeks. Its rough. It's also very "you don't talk about fight club." So getting specifics from recruits is hard because they aren't allowed to talk about it. Literally. You go through a whole fire I and II course, even though just about all that are hired have those certs. It's very academic, and they wash over poor test performance. Be in shape when you arrive. Of those 14 weeks, 1 is spent on hazmat and 1 on driver training.

When you're hired, it's a 1 year probation, and another year of apprenticeship after that. Ongoing testing and bookwork during that time. You do your first 3-4 months as a 5th on an assigned crew. After those first few months, you begin swinging and can expect to swing for 3-5 years.

Forum Member

According to what I read on the application process, they're giving 1 pt to Utah EMT's, 5 to vets, and 10 to disabled vets. Great opp if you're an disabled vet w/ EMT. Best of luck to all.

Forum Member

What written test do they give? And what does the Bpad consist of? I can't seem to find any information the testing process. Thanks

Forum Member

I honestly don't know on the written test. I never paid much attention to the names or differences between written tests. Just show up and take them. I think it was just basic comprehension. I don't remember it being fire or medical specific.

But with the bpad, you can visit the website here:
    B-PAD - The Video Oral Board Experts. The website is mostly set up to sell bpad to other agencies, but you can see what it entails by looking around the site. You wear a suit, and stand in front of a camera and are recorded as you respond to the video scenarios presented to you. They are the same kinds of scenario questions as the oral boards. There wasn't a live board assessing answers during the slc bpads- the video of your answers is sent off to a location where the bpad people assess the answers and score you.

Forum Member

We should get our test results here soon. On another note, did anyone here end up on the Park City list or know if they are going to put on a second academy off it?

Forum Member

Thanks for the input artichoke and honz!

A quick question, are there any opportunities to present your qualifications, knowledge, skills, etc during the BPAD? Or is it 100% scenario based? I ask because you stated that having some fire certs and other education fares well, but is that left to when you go to your Chiefs oral? This will be my first time getting ranked without any formal opportunity to present a resume or talk about myself if this is the case.

Looks like they are taking the top 121 candidates to BPAD, the high score was a 96%. Anyone hear how many took the written?

Good luck to those moving forward!

TAG
    Forum Member

Although I cannot quote the exact numbers, I was told there was well over 1000 for the test this year (2012). As previously mentioned, they're only taking the top 121 to the BPAD. In talking with my friends throughout today, most of us have heard whether or not we made it past the first round. The high test score was 96%. Luckily, I made it to the next round!

To answer some of Jskierpx's questions, it appears that there's not much you can do to "sell yourself" in the BPAD. It's mostly a scenario-based test which judges how you react and adjust to various situations. The test is actually scored by the BPAD group and not SLCFD (from what I was told). So, it doesn't really get you anywhere in explaining your credentials to some scorer several hundred miles away. It does remove some of the bias from the testing in oral boards, though. It allows you to be ranked according to your responses and not just who you know. I'm sure those who have experience will excel in the BPAD simply because of their experience and their knowledge of how to handle difficult situations. So, you probably won't get much of a chance, if any, to really "sell yourself" in the BPAD. However, you will get the chance to "strut your stuff" at the oral board with the chief. That would probably be the best time to market your skills to the department and convince them why you're a good candidate for SLCFD. Surprisingly, being ranked before actually getting a formal opportunity to present your qualifications isn't abnormal. I've been ranked on several lists prior to even meeting an administrator with a department. So, don't get too upset about the whole process.

Good luck to all who took the test this year! And best of luck to all those who didn't! There's quite a few openings coming up around the country!

Forum Member

There isn't any opportunity to talk about your certs or experience in the BPAD. Like TAG said, it's scored and ranked by the BPAD people, and I don't think SLCFD ever sees the video. They will combine your written and BPAD scores to create the list. It should say in your letter how to submit certs/education/etc for preference points. I think usually you bring them to the BPAD. They also used to let you bring proof of passing the CPAT within the last year to the BPAD too, otherwise you have to take it once ranked. Usually only top 50 take the CPAT. Your letter for chiefs interview will list all the things you have to bring. Background check/driving record/personal history statement and questionnaire/birth certificate/DL/HS diploma/military discharge. This is where you would turn in any other degrees or certs you want in your file for consideration.

Forum Member

Thanks for the information. It says they will accept a copy of our CPAT cards at BPAD, which is awesome as it saves me the (possible) trip back out to take it again.

Looking forward to the BPAD in a couple weeks!

Good luck to others testing as well~

Forum Member

Thanks for all the info on the BPAD, this is all very useful. My only other question is; does anybody have any info on the kinds of situations we might have? I'm not asking for any specific examples but i've also heard people say some time on the test is spent answering standard interview questions. Does anybody know if I should be prepared to answer the same old interview questions or if it is more of scenarios such as a distraught child, or a coworker conflict, or an angry family member etc?

Forum Member

Obviously I can't give specifics, but this is from the BPAD website:

The candidate views three or four professionally acted and produced video scenarios--each portraying critical incidents as may be encountered on the job. (All scenes were developed by departments and rated for realism, difficulty, and importance to the job by subject matter experts.)

So scenarios you encounter on the job- with coworkers, chain of command, the public, etc.

Forum Member

That's what I was looking for. I appreciate the info.

Forum Member

How does eveyone feel their BPAD went? It seems a little crazy they will be able to rank all of us based on 5-8 minutes of talking...

Oh well, just another hoop to jump through. Hopefully we hear soon!

Forum Member

Anyone moving on to the first round of CPATs?

Thread Information