Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Ali Al Salem

Default Ali Al Salem

Looking for information about Ali Al Salem...anybody been there within the past year or so? Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I passed through there a few times during 2008. Don't know much about the fire side, but I might be able to help you with other stuff if needed.

Hello ZZyyZX. I am just looking for general infomation about the base...quality of life, living arrangements, ammenities, do's and don'ts and etc.

Forum Member

Default aas

what are you looking to find out?

Hey Shredd...I am looking for general information about the base, quality of life, ammenities, do's and dont's, living arrangements, and etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Remember that all this info was current as of the end of 2008. When I left theater they were doing a lot of modifications in order to prepare for the withdrawal of the OIF mission. Some of the smaller bases in Kuwait were planned to close and combine operations with some of the bigger ones. Also, this information is applicable to US military and primarily Army. If you're going over as a contractor, you're life could be quite different. So expect there could be some changes.

AAS is made up of three main areas: the LSA (Army ran this part, where troops are bed down and the basic day to day operations of the base), AAS (Air Force run, the actual flight operations and stuff relating to that mission, and the Australian part of the base. There's also a small Navy compound between the two that is primarily SeaBees. The main mission of AAS was to process all flights from reception (Kuwait) and into theater (usually Iraq, although sometimes Afghan got processed there too) and to coordinate all R&R flights. There used to be a decent USO and MWR on base. Also lots of fast food joints, but unknown if those will close also like Afghan.

If you're permanent party, you shouldn't have too bad of housing. Depending on your rank you'll probably either share a room with 1-3 other people or perhaps if you're high enough rank, get your own half of a wet trailer. They were in the process of wiring all living facilities with internet and AFN as we were leaving. It "should" be completed by now.

Depending on the Command, you'll most likely have to wear your reflective belt at night and any time doing PT. Civilian clothes were authorized outside of duty hours, but that's a Command decision also. Lots of BS rules that you'll wonder how we fight a war, but it's really cut down on accidents so I guess it's worth it. If you're permanent party, depending on the threat level, you may be able to secure your weapon in the Arms room. But you'll need it whenever you leave base.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

When redeploying from OIF ('04-'05) our stop in Kuwait was a blast. My job in Kuwait was to make sure all our equipment was getting to the boats. My driver and I would speed up/down and across the country a few times a day. Highest speed we got our little SUV up to was 125mph on the Jahara Highway.

Anyways, we would always make sure to stop at Ali Al Salem for lunch. The Air Force chow hall and female eye candy were better than their Army counterparts. Pretty neat place, kind of small, I am not sure I could live a whole year there.

Forum Member

gotta love them 2-10-2's in the theater!

Quote Originally Posted by ShredddinCali View Post
    gotta love them 2-10-2's in the theater!
    Best graffiti in any port-o-john was "Suck it up now you Army Bit*hes, when we get home you'll all be ugly again."

Thanks for the general info. I will be perm party there on AEF rotation...It can't be a bad deployment at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tazney View Post
    Thanks for the general info. I will be perm party there on AEF rotation...It can't be a bad deployment at all.
    You're going with a bunch of my guys.. You'll have a great time... Don't hit on the blonde too much.

-Damien

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tazney View Post
    Good Luck Taz, Don't have to much fun. Enjoy life, have a good time, and don't miss me to much.

V/r

Thread Information